>>Reviews >> Balls >>

Nike One Platinum Balls Review

Nike One Platinum

The Nike One Platinum offers three covers, the inner middle, and outer. The inner cover reduces driver spin whearas the middle cover provides superior mid-iron control. Finally the outer cover provides a higher trajectory and soft feel.

More Products from Nike  >>

September 17, 2009

Reviewed by: holeintwo ,  Shoots in the 80s

One Platinum

Summary:
The best ball for me! great spin on all shots! have no problem shaping shots and get great distance! only downfall is the price as like all premium golf balls!

Prov-1 , Z Star, B-330s, Tp red

July 9, 2009

Reviewed by: troy ,  Shoots in the 80s

nike one platinum 2008

Summary:
these are excellent balls soft nice distance and spin like crazy. the biggest kicker is the price right now is 29.95 at Golf Galaxy. when premium golf balls go on sale try them out you cant loose.

April 13, 2009

Reviewed by: CoreyG ,  Shoots in the 80s

Nike ONE Platinum 2008

Summary:
Strong but spendy performance for better players who want a ball that really bites

With golf balls, often you trade performance and feel for distance and durability. Nobody likes compromise. If Nike set out to make one ball that does it all, they came close with the 2008 Nike ONE Platinum.

Decent durability combine with good length, outstanding spin and a soft feel for a great all-around premium performance ball for the better player. Apparently players with slower swing speeds won’t enjoy the same benefits from this ball.

I have experienced good, not great, distance with the ability to quickly stop approach shots on the green. Occasionally, full wedges will reverse back off the green due to too much spin, as the ONE Platinum has one of the highest spin rates on the market, according to publications. As a result, you need to take this into consideration when going for front hole locations. Nothing is more frustrating than hitting a great shot only to have it come back off the green, and that is one, um, drawback to the ONE Platinum. Players who regularly impart a lot of backspin may prefer the ONE Black or another brand instead. If you have a big hook or a severe slice the high spin could make it worse.

However, the high spin rate really makes this ball stand out around the greens. Crisp pitch shots, flops and bunker escapes can really be controlled with a short hop and stop. You can have confidence that an aggressive pitch or chip will grab the green.

All of this is as advertised. But, one area that I found the ONE Platinum to also excel was in the wind, specifically crosswinds. Whether the spin or dimple pattern is why, I’m not sure, but a well-struck shot was often only minimally affected by crosswinds, enabling you to avoid modifying your aim much in blustery conditions. Really surprising performance from this ball in windy weather.

This is an excellent all-around ball. Yes, it is expensive at more than $40 per dozen in most shops. If you don’t have deep pockets or you are a high handicapper who loses many balls during a round, the ONE Platinum is probably not a good choice for you. However, playing a premium performance ball has helped me lower my scores in recent years. I recommend the ONE Platinum for better players (single digits and low teens) who don’t impart much sidespin on full shots, and who specifically want to pinch and control the ball when trying to score around the greens.

I have not yet tried the new 2009 Nike ONE Tour, ONE Tour D or ONE Vapor balls, but if they are similar to their recent brethren then I’m optimistic about their performance.

-Corey

Corey is an avid single-digit player in the wet Pacific Northwest where balls plug. He finds and tests almost as many golf balls as he loses.

Titleist Pro V1
Bridgestone B330-S
Nike ONE Black

April 12, 2009

Reviewed by: Mason ,  Shoots in the 80s

Nike One Platinum

Summary:
Before i started to use Nike One balls, i'd use the cheap Maxfli's and some Bridgestones (Very good golf balls). Then one of my friends told me to try out the nike one platinums and Nike one blacks, and i didnt want to spend 30.00 0n a ball i wouldnt like, so i bought a dozen of refurbished nike one blacks and platinums for 10.00 at target. I was extremely surprised with the spin i get on the nike one platinums. Im getting my mid irons to stop very quickly on greens, and my pitching and chipping have gotten better. This may be helped by my Frogger golf brush that ive recently purchased, but with the old golf balls, they wouldnt hold the greens as well. Distance is alright on the platinums, but the short and mid iron control is to die for.

Nike one blacks are truly impressive as well. Usually on my drives with Nike One platinums, i would hit it about 255 and pretty straight, but with these, i am getting much more distance (280's) but they dont spin as well as the platinums.
Overall, i am very impressed, and i think that this may be my new golf ball. Good Job Nike!

None.

A bunch of 2 peice balls that couldnt get any spin at all.

April 11, 2009

Reviewed by: scomemphis2008 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Nike One Platinum

Summary:
Was always very skeptical of Nike golf balls in the past. I've been using the Pro V1 but never seemed to get the results on the green I wanted. Couple of days ago while finishing up a round, I had a ball hit into me from another fairway. The player playing in a high school tourney apologized and said to keep the ball. I looked at it and saw it was a Nike One Platinum. I decided to try it out to finish the last hole. Managed to get that ball to check after one bounce, unheard of for me. Not one to get too excited over one shot, I purchased a 3 pack to play another 9. Probably my best short game round of my life, 10 putts over 9 holes. Still, I wanted to try it out on a course with more length to see how much distance I would lose. As a long hitter, a few lost yards wouldn't hurt. I will admit that I lost about 7 yards versus the pro v1, but I was in the fairway and I more than improved my score just in the short game. I'm so impressed, I went on rockbottom.com and bought 6 dozen for $124 total (their cost balls and I had free shipping)

I'm switching permanently