Callaway FT-5 Drivers Review

Callaway FT-5

The new FT-5 and FT-5 Tour Drivers are the latest evolution in clubhead design utilizing our revolutionary Fusion® Technology. A massive 50 grams of discretionary weight has been created using a Carbon Fiber Body — creating the OptiFit™ Weighting System that produces three center of gravity configurations: Draw, Neutral and Fade, enabling golfers to choose a combination to best suit their individual game. The larger, more robust CT/VFT Titanium cup face is designed to the legal limit, as defined by the USGA Characteristic Time test, resulting in increased ball speed, distance and forgiveness — even on miss-hits. The FT-5 Tour Driver has a slightly open face for a look preferred by more accomplished players. The end result is exceptional distance, performance, accuracy and confidence.

Fusion Technology
Proprietary Fusion Technology creates an unprecedented 50 grams of discretionary weight which is strategically positioned for a high Moment of Inertia and precise lateral location of the center of gravity. This provides exceptional stability on off-center hits, while enabling ball flight customization for optimal individual performance. The 25-gram weight located at the rear of the driver lowers the CG for optimal trajectory.

OptiFit Weighting System
Enables golfers to customize their driver by giving them three CG locations to choose from in most lofts: Draw for promoting a draw or reducing a slice/fade; Neutral for maximum workability; or Fade for promoting a fade or reducing a hook/draw.

CT/VFT Titanium Cup Face
Modified version of VFT® Technology in which face thicknesses are designed specifically to maximize performance under the new USGA Characteristic Time test, resulting in a larger, more robust face for increased ball speed on shots hit all over the face.

460cc head design
A 460cc head volume is incorporated with a longer, wider and hotter face for more confidence at address, a higher MOI and increased ball speed for longer, straighter drives.

Carbon Composite Body
The material used to make the body is significantly lighter than titanium, allowing Callaway Golf engineers to move 50 grams of discretionary weight where it is needed most, resulting in better stability and distance.

More Products from Callaway  >>

Web Address
Information Added By

August 26, 2012

Reviewed by: barber ,  Shoots in the 80s

ft5

Summary:
This driver and callaway both rock I had a happy gilmour moment go bad at the range end with an exploded clubhead but callaway was nice enough to replace it for me custom shaft and all anyway I've been Hitting the deepest drives ever since thanks callaway

5 stars

June 14, 2011

Reviewed by: Bob Conron ,  Shoots in the 80s

FT-5

Summary:
I have played with the FT-5 for 3 years and enjoyed the club immensely. I used to slam the ball off of the tee for distance - now an easy swing and I swear it goes the longest. Unfortunately, my FT-5 busted within the club head after only about 20 rounds of golf. There is something loose inside, and it sounds awful when it strikes the ball. I now get 75-80% of the distance. Unbelievably, Callaway told me they would allow me to buy a new Razr for $260. I was shocked. I assumed they would replace the FT-5 with an appropriate club. It is not as though I snapped the shaft. No, this is inside the club. I need new irons (in addition to a driver) - guess what I'm not buying?

My FT-5 busted within the club head after only about 20 rounds of golf. There is something loose inside, and it sounds awful when it strikes the ball. I now get 75-80% of the distance. Unbelievably, Callaway told me they would allow me to buy a new Razr for $260. I was shocked. I assumed they would replace the FT-5 with an appropriate club. It is not as though I snapped the shaft. No, this is inside the club. I need new irons (in addition to a driver) - guess what I'm not buying?

January 18, 2011

Reviewed by: Naticus ,  Shoots in the 70s

Callaway FT-5

Summary:
Here's the straight dope on the Callaway FT-5 Driver. The Dick's Sporting Goods across the street from my work is going out of business, so they were having a clearance sale with unbelievable prices on golf gear. The prices were so good that I ended up purchasing an FT-5 (9* - draw bias - Stiff) for $20 and a Ping Rapture for $35. I took both clubs to the range and tried them out together. Here's what I found...

The FT-5 is not the best looking club I've ever seen, and it also sounds horrible. BUT... I could not mis-hit this thing! I was getting about 10 more yards from it than my current driver (a Taylor Made TP580). I thought that the draw bias might have me hooking this thing, but I was able to keep a nice mellow draw on the ball. The only problem with this club was that I could not put a good fade on the ball. Even when i tried to slice it, the most I got was a little bit of "tailing" at the end of the ball flight. Comparing it with the Ping Rapture, I was more consistent with the FT-5. However, the Rapture allows me to work the ball a little more, so I have that in my bag right now.

September 3, 2010

Reviewed by: mark van tuinen ,  Shoots in the 80s

callaway ft-5 driver, senior flex,13* ht

Summary:
My favorite driver of all I have tried in the last few years (all from ebay). It is the longest and has excellent sound and feel, is fun to swing and is solid at impact. Generally forgiving, though the draw bias occasionally leads to pulls to the left when my swing is off.

no experience in this area

nike str8 dymo, nike lucky 13, cobra 400sz, cobra m speed, cleve. hibore xls, tour edge geo max bazooka, adams redline, adams speedline, nicklaus dual point, callaway 454, callaway diablo, macgregor mt mdx, taylor made r7 draw.

August 16, 2010

Reviewed by: windy ,  Scratch Golfer

callaway ft5 10 degrees neutral.

Summary:
I have one of these for two years now. I have also played the worst golf of my life for the last two years. This club is woeful. I have changed shafts to see if I could get any better out of it but no dice. The sweet spot, if it does exist is the size of a pea and the noise it makes is so embarrasing that I cringe as I swing, which is probably half my problem. I have been fitted for a 909d2 so its hasta la vista baby. (first €50 offer secures this piece of..). Believe me if I could be profane on this website about the damage this club has done to my game I would.You cant putt for dough if you are in the trees all the time.

Dont know