Cleveland Launcher SL290 Drivers Review

Cleveland Launcher SL290

Cleveland SL 290 Driver The Cleveland SL 290 Driver has club-fitting and ultralite technologies that are emerging as the new paradigms in golf and sets the standard for a comprehensive driver. The Launcher Ultralite family consists of four distinct driver models, each of which has been strategically engineered to deliver a unique combination of feel, workability and headspeed. Combined with the Right-Weight Fitting System, the most complete weight-fitting method in the market, the Ultralite seri

More Products from Cleveland  >>

In The Hole Golf

May 2, 2012

Reviewed by: Timothy J. Kuhn ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland SL 290

Summary:
This is a flat out solid driver, not sexy, but if you want a great Driver that flat gets it out there this is as good as anything I have hit. Great stock shaft and it just sets up so square it really inspires confidence. Can be had pretty chaep these days too.

Too many to list.

February 15, 2012

Reviewed by: Jim in Illinois ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland 290

Summary:
Yesterday I took my Christmas gift certificate to Golf Galaxy with enough money to make the decision, for a change, that I would pay for the winner of my testing, regardless of price.
Tested several Razor Fit, Nike V2s, Amp, 2 vintages of Speedlines, and the Cleveland. Rating it 5 because it bested at least five other top tier drivers in the simulator. Half a club longer than anything I tried, and a full club+ longer than some. I think a club and a half longer than my own interim Laucher 460 with a Rifle steel shaft. My swing speed is in the 80's so I used R shafts. Launch with 10.5 loft. It's an inch and a half longer with a larger head, but weighs 90 grams less than my old one. One or two of the other drivers approached the 290 in distance, but the Cleveland was able to repeat more easily in distance and dispersion, and was the overall winner in distance. I guess it is being replaced, so it got marked down $100, unknown to me at the time. Also it listed $100 less than the "adjustables", so I walkd out of there $200 less poor, with the winner of my blind test.

Have had several Cleveland clubs by now, but never had reason to test CS.