Ping G2 Drivers Review

Ping G2

• 460cc titanium head
  • Large head size and internal weighting
  • Moon graphic alignment aid
  • Precision-milled variable face thickness
  • Internal weighting reduces spin and launches the ball higher

More Products from Ping  >>

May 7, 2013

Reviewed by: Ivory Tubbs ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping G2 Driver

Summary:
Qualifying statement: As a master fitter and teacher, I was in the golf industry for years. Recently I haven't played as much so don't hold my handicap against my review.

I’ve sat through so many dang PK (Product Knowledge) sessions with OEM’s explaining their “new” equipment innovations. With adjustable this and replaceable that, anyone who doesn’t play often enough to know their ball flight characteristics or have access to a certified fitter, has been given ENTIRELY too many options to ever be consistent. The paint job and graphics are really what attract many new equipment buyers.

I bought the G2 pre-owned after hitting it a few times inside a store and paid about $40 for it. It was solid, had great acoustics and easy to swing. After buying it I pulled the shaft and added an significant upgrade from the ProLaunch Blue that it came with.

On the course…oh my gosh! Fairway finder PERIOD! This thing was so long and straight that on a legit par 5 I went driver, 7-iron and flew the green! (Virgin territory, I’d never been that close before). I have respectable distance with all my clubs and with my driver I can squeeze out an occasional 300yd+ drive, but 275-280 in the fairway is fine by me.

Needless to say it inspires confidence and produces a playable, predictable result with a good swing. I bought another so that I’d never be without one.

INDUSTRY SECRET: The USGA has set a max COR .830 (Coefficient of Restitution) speed on drivers and ALL OEM’s have met that limit. The last frontier for distance is the SHAFT and the BALL. GET FITTED! This may seem like a sales pitch but think of it this way…New Balance makes great running shoes but if you just grab a size and go and it’s the wrong size, it won’t matter how well they’re made because they won’t fit YOU.
Pay for a shaft that fits what you’re looking for i.e. launch angle, spin rate, torque etc. and watch the G2 keep up or blow by these $300-$400 drivers. If you buy it and it’s in ugly condition, spend $50 to get it reconditioned or customized in the off season if it bothers you that much.

December 3, 2012

Reviewed by: William Tornquist the IV ,  Scratch Golfer

Ping G2 8.5 w/ stock shaft

Summary:
Lest you are a fool or hack, it should come as no surprise to you to hear that previously released drivers can be every bit as good, if not better, than the new junk that's released today.

Let's face it, you don't need an adjustable driver to hit the ball well. You also don't need a composite head, four places to put weights and a headcover that looks like a suitcase.

Let me digress. I bought a used Ping G2 8.5 driver with the stock TFC stiff shaft and this thing rocks. It's straight down the middle every friggin' time, ladies. What I really like about it is the square setup. No drive bias on this one.

Ping G2, it may be for you.

Ping G2, with it I'll drive by you.

Ping G2, electric boogaloo.

I spoke with Mr. Solheim on the phone and told him he should re-release the G2. He promised to look into it.

I've tried them all and I'm not going to take the time to list them.

April 15, 2012

Reviewed by: Greg ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping G2 Driver

Summary:
You can find these used on eBay now, in great condition and for a really good price.
This is the best driver I've ever hit...long and straight.
It's very forgiving and has really helped my drive compared to the Ping TiSI driver that I was using.
I think this is one of the best drivers Ping has ever made.
Highly recommended.

August 6, 2011

Reviewed by: wb4tjh ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping G2 driver

Summary:
The truth is, most of the important technology in drivers has already been developed, and each year all the makers do is to change cosmetics. The G2 driver has 99% of ALL the so-called lateest innovations of the currrent model drivers, I bought my left handed, 11.5 degree G2 off Ebay for about $40 recently, and it hits as well or better than the latest $500 fancy gizmo driver on the market today.So look for the technology, but buy it in an older model club and save a ton of money. That's smart golf.

no needed

July 16, 2011

Reviewed by: Aggers ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ping G2 Driver

Summary:
I have this in 8.5 deg, but with a spined Grafalloy Blue X in. Much like the guys b4 I tried it with the rubbishy Ping shaft in, was no good, but with a decent bit of graphite in WOW. Straight, long and a lot less dispersion. Great Driver!!!!

Ping can be a bit stuffy