TaylorMade R540 XD Drivers Review

TaylorMade R540 XD

• Large, 400cc head boasts a larger sweetspot and massive MOI for greater forgiveness on mis-hits
  • Larger, deeper hitting area above the CG makes the R540 XD easy to launch
  • Improved Inverted Cone Technology provides a larger COR Zone that equals higher ball-speed delivered by a larger area of the clubface
  • New sole design optimizes CG placement, resulting in superior launch conditions

More Products from TaylorMade  >>

April 28, 2008

Reviewed by: jay frederick ,  Shoots in the 100s

Taylor Made R540XD

Summary:
Got this with the factory installed Penley stiff shaft.

First, let's describe my game - think of the 3 Stooges playing golf, I'm Curley, but I don't wreck the "nice lawn" ("See, the pieces are getting smaller....")

My uncle in Tampa convinced me to get rid of my little wussy driver I was using and try this cannon. I have THE ugliest swing in the world (pros have turned to alcohol and drugs after trying to teach me) but slowing my swing down really does translate to greater distance here.

I've always been a "long" hitter but easily drove the ball well over 250 consistently, but my nasty slice (or from time to time really nice straight drive) has been replaced by a MASSIVE hook - talk about bending around the foul pole....

I've checked to be sure this is not built with a draw, so I guess it's still just the dummy holding the club.

If I ever do get it straightened out though, this club will be a honey!!!

Excellent price off of Ebay, well worth what I paid.

No complaints so far

September 15, 2007

Reviewed by: edmiller9999 ,  Shoots in the 80s

R540XD

Summary:
I continue to be amazed at the long-term performance of this driver. Mine had an Aldila NV-65 shaft. It's a great club. It's easy to hit deep. Easy to fade. Not easy to hit a draw for me. The one concern I have is that it is not easy to lay off of. I tend to hit a pull or high draw/pull when trying to hit an easy drive. Guess I should just hit a three-metal instead.

All in all, it's a great driver with a great shaft. But, as we all know, the shaft in a driver makes the club, so don't compare a driver with a different shaft to my review.

none

Taylor Made R580XD, Callaway FT-5 ... both good drivers.

September 10, 2007

Reviewed by: Torbman ,  Shoots in the 70s

TaylorMade 540XD

Summary:
Bought this on ebay for $51.00 US. Was looking for a 580XD but saw this and couldn't pass it up. I hit this Driver about 20-25 yards further than my old Cobra Steel Driver. Amazing feel and sounds great. It has a Stiff GDI YS-6 shaft which is the most used shaft on the PGA tour. Don't listen to reviews about distance not being good with this club. I've had no problem hitting them 300 yds with this club. I can't say enough about it.

Not needed

July 13, 2007

Reviewed by: Joe Smith ,  Shoots in the 80s

r540 xd driver

Summary:
i bought the r540xd for sixty-five dollars(shipping included). Its a good club for the price. Don't be expecting any explosive distance. But it gets the job done.

adams

June 19, 2007

Reviewed by: ken ,  Shoots in the 80s

R540 xd

Summary:
I really sucked at driving the ball before, but once I got this driver I hit the ball a lot farther. I love it.