TaylorMade R580 XD Drivers Review

TaylorMade R580 XD

• Larger, deeper hitting area above the CG makes the R580 XD easy to launch
  • Improved Inverted Cone Technology provides a larger COR Zone that equals higher ball-speed delivered by a larger area of the clubface
  • New sole design optimizes CG placement, resulting in superior launch conditions
  • Classically shaped head is preferred by many players

More Products from TaylorMade  >>

April 25, 2012

Reviewed by: Tom ,  Shoots in the 80s

Taylor Made R580XD

Summary:
I bought this driver off the rack in '04. 10.5, M.A.S.2 65 stiff shaft. I am 60, shoot high 70's to low 90's, swing speed 100-105. I am long for my age and skill level (250-280 yds). My 150 club is an 8-iron.

This is my favorite club, of all time. I love the 440 cc head. The new 460's look like softballs to me. I love the looks of the head and shaft, and it sounds great: a crisp, sharp crack that makes every drive sound like it was crushed (Hate those clanking drivers!). Supposedly the shaft is mid-high flex and mid-low launch (2.9 torque, firm tip), but my draws are mid trajectory, and fades high, with superb carry. (Though I have always hit my drives high, because I tee high, and hit inside-out, on the upswing. It would be different for any down- or out-to-in swingers.) When I swing as I intend, the result is absolutely predictable. Errant drives are my fault, and I know it, usually on the downswing. Don't get the small sweet spot reviews, I find it exceptionally forgiving, all across the face (which is as large as the new driver faces).

More a love letter than a review; I have tried other drivers, even bought a few(hard to resist "new" technology!). When I play Friday, they will be in the garage, and the R580XD will be in my bag.

February 24, 2012

Reviewed by: wham ,  Shoots in the 80s

Summary:
Love this driver. Sounds and feels solid. The slightly smaller head size makes it more workable than the 460cc monsters that are the norm today. Bought one when I first started playing 6 years ago and sold it right away because I did not realize what I had, bought a used one later from clubfinders. However, the factory shaft is junk. Put your favorite shaft in and it is bombs away. May I suggest a proforce V2 in the flex of your choice.

July 15, 2011

Reviewed by: NJPIRRO ,  Shoots in the 80s

TaylorMade R580 9.5 Driver

Summary:
My wife purchased this driver for me. My first TaylorMade product, and I can tell you this is probably the best driver thats ever been created! I've swung many and none allow the control, comfort and sheer distance of this one. BEST IN CLASS- BEST IN SHOW- BEST IN GOLF

I use PowerBilt Irons, Royal Woods, TaylorMade R590 Driver, and I don't use a putter... I'm deadly accurate using my PW on the green

July 12, 2011

Reviewed by: Dustin ,  Shoots in the 80s

Taylormade 580xd

Summary:
I have used this club since 2004 when I purchased a new set (17 at the time). Everything was custom made with x100 shafts in the irons, but they didnt custom the driver. I hit this driver 300 average, and it is 7 years old. I am looking into a new driver, and will stick with the taylormade brand for that. I hit mizuno mp32 irons and taylormade rac wedges with a scotty cam putter.

This is a great club that I have used probably over 300 rounds of golf and as many times to the range.

April 21, 2011

Reviewed by: Daniel Luna ,  Shoots in the 90s

Taylormade R580 xd

Summary:
Very small sweet spot, not forgiving, what distance, if hit is not perfect bye bye ball. Please avoid this club, it is a total shame to Taylormade's lineup. I'll be in the market for a new driver. Any REAL recommendations?