>>Reviews >> Fairway Woods >>

More Products from Cobra  >>

April 23, 2009

Reviewed by: RayP ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra Baffler DWS

Summary:
I am a 7 Handicap and play twice a week. I turn 50 this year and have found that I just cant hit that 2 or 3 iron like I used to. I have tried a few hybrids over the years but didn't really like them, distance was OK but too hard to control (cuts and hooks). BUT, I really wanted something to replace my 3 iron so stumbled across this club the 3R model with 20 dg loft. Loved it from the start, good look at address, easy to hit, great distance and control and stopped well on greens. Liked it so much I bought the 2R 18 dg model to replace my Mizuno 18 dg "FliHi". The "2R" 18 dg model was "awesome" almost goes as far as my driver if hit right, could easily replace my 3 wood. Highly recommend the Cobra DWS hybrids, best I have used by far and not too expensive.

Taylor Made hybrids (6/10)
Mizuno Hybrids (5/10)

April 7, 2009

Reviewed by: NEPAgolfer ,  Shoots in the 80s

20* Cobra Baffler DWS Stiff Shaft

Summary:
I bought this to replace a 5 wood which i had always hit fairly well. However, i felt i could improve upon my overall consistency from 200-215 yards. So far the Baffler has been an improvement over my old 5 wood. The ball flight is much lower than i anticipated. In fact it seems more penetrating than my previous club. I've only hit it off the tee a couple times so i can't comment on that too much. It did seem to have higher ball flight but that is to be expected.

NA

Nicklaus Dual Point 24* Hybrid, great club as well.

December 31, 2008

Reviewed by: Tom Craddick ,  Scratch Golfer

Cobra DWS Hybrid

Summary:
After testing numerous hybrid clubs at the range, the Cobra range proved itself to be the very best. Excellent value for money, a good strike is rewarded with a towering trajectory that mantains a solid penetrating flight. The looks at address are compact and the dual weighting helps you keep the clubhead under control. For the lower handicappers out there, the DWS Pro is a more workable rescue club that is easily good enough to take the place of your 3 wood. The shaft options are superb and the ball flight will strike envy into your opponents. Off the deck, both clubs are extremely easy to hit and are effective at gliding through different lies. Higher handicappers should opt for the DWS Reg but if you enjoy varying the shape on the ball, don't hesitate to try the pro version.

All in all a solid piece of kit- easy to see why Cobra lead the market in utility metals.

Taylormade Burner Rescue
Taylormade TP Rescue
Cleveland XLS Hibore Hybrid
Ping G10 Rescue

November 1, 2008

Reviewed by: Nio ,  Shoots in the 80s

2008 Baffler DWS

Summary:
Clearly the best hybrid out there. I have the 4 and 5 with regular flex Nippon steel shafts. I took a 4 and 5 iron, Sonartec 7 wood and a 25 degree Burner rescue out of the bag for these two clubs. I don't even need fairway woods with these DWS in the bag. Consistently get 200 yards on the fly with the #4. (Anthony Kim only carries a driver and one rescue club, no fairway woods either). The club sets up to install confidence that you are going to hit the ball straight down the fairway. The dual weighting system ensures the ball just pops off the face with perfect ball flight. It is impossible not to hit a good shot with these clubs. If you cannot get a fairway wood off the deck, this is the club for you. This club can be drawn very, very easy as well. As a very low 80's golfer I wanted to get into the 70's this year. The first thing I did was to cull clubs out of the bag that could not perform for ME on all 18 holes. Needless to say the putter is the only original club I have since last year. New Cobra LV4 driver that hits monster straight drives, Cobra S9 Irons 6-9, PW, GW. 200 Cobra Baffler #4 and #5. 2008 Callaway 58, 60, 64 wedges. The new MD grooves did it for me with the wedges. Same Callaway Itrax putter I have had since the first day they came out. Now it is driver, then #4 Baffler DWS whether a long par 4 or par 5. This important second shot is always right down the middle where I need it to be. I feel that my confidence and accuracy with these DWS is much higher than with the 4 and 5 irons. But the real key is the rough. These DWS will rip through deep rough that will twist your irons shots and hit straight shots every time. For me the steel shafts promote a much smoothing swing and less wantonness to kill the ball. The ball flight is such that a 170-180 yard shot will stick the green, not line drive off the back that is so familiar with a long 5 iron. At the range tonight I let a guy who was really muscular with a perfect swing hit the #4 DWS. He was knocking the snot out of the ball and hitting it 230+ easy. He also said it was the best club he ever hit and he wanted to go right then and buy some. After watching him launch about 20 shots I was totally in awe of him and the club (meaning the club would perform great for ever Tiger Woods!) If Tiger played Cobra he could find the fairway more easily. The Baffler DWS are my go to clubs. They are extremely study and well crafted, you can feel the head of this club and I believe that helps keep the swing on a perfect plane. Letting up on the swing or putting the hammer down, you can easily very the distance same as with the irons. I don't get excited easily as I have well over 300 golf clubs, many used a round or less and retired. But these 2008 Baffler DWS are every bit as good as people say they are. I have the best bad together I have ever had and have confidence in every club I have. The 70's now are only a matter of a putt or two falling into place. Your second shot will be guaranteed in you use the Baffler DWS. That is no joke either.

Never Needed

Nickent 3 DX (own 2) and the DWS blows them away
Original Taylormade Rescue (horrible shafts)
New Taylormade Rescue Burner (too offset, no distance, weak feeling impact)
Sonartec 7 Wood (great club however inconsistent from lies other)
Second generation Taylormade Rescues (shafts horribly whippy)
Adams Ovation 5 and 7 wood

July 28, 2008

Reviewed by: laureenperry ,  Shoots in the 90s

Baffler DWS 20 degree

Summary:
go-to club for distance, preferred off the tee to a driver, stripe it 225 yards into the fairway and then hit another 200 yard approach for long par 4's. what a club.