>>Reviews >> Fairway Woods >>

Louisville Niblick Fairway Woods Review

Louisville Niblick

New deeper Persimmon face increases confidence in the fairway and rough as well as off the tee. Lowest center of gravity offered in any fairway wood made today.

More Products from Louisville  >>

March 30, 2014

Reviewed by: Yazzman ,  Shoots in the 80s

Louisville Niblick fairway woods

Summary:
I have played all different brands of metal fairway woods. I used Ping,Titleist, Callaway, Taylormade, Orlimar Tr Metals, Snake Eyes, Cobra. Just by chance I purchased a Persimmon 7 wood. I bought it because I thought it would be a gag gift to myself and I would pull it out of my golf bag to have my golf buddies laugh at me. I got one with a steel shaft. I went to the range and oh my god that thing is so easy to hit. I can hit it out of deep rough,wet muddy muck buried lies, sand traps. The thing is a cannot miss club for me. It is freakish how easy it is to hit. Well I play a round with my foursome and I pull it out when I am 200 yards out. They all say " Hey old timer! " and they all laugh and said let me see that old relic! And they do this before I hit my shot. The ball gets up in a hurry and it flies straight and true. It lands right on the green and I am ten feet from the pin. It is my money club! The next thing I do is go out and buy myself a Persimmon 2,4,5,9 wood to go along with my persimmon 7 wood. I am beating my friends so easy that is seems illegal to take their money. Give one a try and you will never go back to a metal fairway wood again. I bought all of mine on ebay. You can get them cheap there too. Look for the bargains and you will save lots of money. The most I spent on a persimmon fairway wood was $45.00 dollars. And it was in new condition and was never used. Two thumbs way up for Louisville golf!

I never used them. But when I called and asked questions they were very nice.

Just about every other metal fairway model made.

May 22, 2011

Reviewed by: Joe Frances ,  Shoots in the 90s

Louisville Golf Fairway Woods

Summary:
The Louisville Golf Niblick fairway woods are fabulous. I have been shooting in the low to mid 90s for the last year or so. I have gone back to the LG Niblicks and Smart Driver and my scores have been 90, 88, 85. These clubs are so satisfying in terms of feel and sound and they keep the ball in the fairway so consistently (even on marginal heel or toe hits) that I am having a blast and scoring better than with the bomber metalwoods. I simply love these clubs and I am not a perfect ball striker by any means. Anyone who thinks persimmon clubs are only for scratch golfers are totally misinformed. In fact players who are annoyed with off line hits off monster headed clubs could do themselves and their scores a favor by picking up one or more of these gems. Fabulous!

Terrific. Very personal. Small company with a lot of heart and dedication.

Cleveland and Ping metal woods.

May 9, 2011

Reviewed by: axeist92126 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Louisville HL3 34 degree persimmon hybrid

Summary:
They are unique, in that very few golfers carry a 34 degree hybrid, let alone one with a persimmon head. I use it as a "gap" club between my Burner 6H (28 deg) and my Ping Eye 2 7 iron. I hit approximately 160 yards dead straight. Has a very good feel and a heavier swingweight (D5 with a Golf Pride grip or D7 with a Winn Excel RF).

Louisville Golf makes some excellent persimmon woods.

Louisville Niblick Vanguard 5 wood and Even Wood Red Stripe 10 wood.

September 17, 2009

Reviewed by: docrog ,  Shoots in the 70s

Persimmon woods

Summary:
I am probably the least likely person to advocate persimmon woods due to the fact that I'm maybe one of the shortest-hitting, mid 70's player in the world. Virtually everyone asks me why I don't usually hit my Callaway 460cc titanium driver to get a bit more distance. (My usual distance from the tee ball is 215-230 with normal swing). The only answer that I can give them is when I was very young, the PGA championship was held several blocks from my house at Southern Hills CC. My father and I were watching several players during the practice rounds, when everyone else was following Palmer, and SEVERAL times you could hear the player saying to his caddie, "what will keep me in the fairway, this rough is ridiculous", etc. I can't really tell you why hearing this stayed in my head, but it did. I played on both the High School and (small) college teams, being outdriven by virtually everyone, but always managed to play the #1,2 or 3 position. Recently I came across an interview with Hale Irwin when he was burning up the Senior Tour a few years back, and he plainly stated that if he could be GUARANTEED that he would always be in the fairway, he would gladly give up 15-20 yards of distance. Now, given that everyone wants to play "bomb and gouge", it isn't very exciting to just place your tee shot in the middle of the fairway some 225 yards off the tee, leaving about 160-170 to the green when everyone else is trying to swing from their heels and hit a sand wedge for the second shot, but let me ask you straight; and I really want you to think for a second before answering to yourself, which is more exciting; bombing one 280-290 ish not knowing whether or not you might still be in play and therefore having to chip out from behind the trees, or saying to your playing partners--it sure was fun watching you bomb it all day.....oh by the way, you shot 83 and I shot a 74??? I own several sets of Louisville golf persimmon woods, including the Classic 50's set, the Niblick fairway woods and the Thumper driver. Choose any, but just ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. If you sometimes struggle with getting the ball on the green from outside of about 160 yards, absolutely give the Niblicks a try. If you need to hit the ball with a massive amount of control, and then roll the ball, give the Classic 50's a try. I will ask you one more time, and again I am in the minority, distance or accuracy? Giving yourself the chance to possibly hit every fairway and every green and having a "boring" round of 71 or 72 is very appealing to most amateurs.
BTW--I did win the United States Hickory Open earlier this year in North Carolina using Hickory shafted Persimmon woods and irons on a Donald Ross course where you HAD to keep it in play. It is my opinion that for each extra fairway, and esp. each extra green that you hit, your score will drop by at least one shot--depending upon how far offline that your tee ball normally goes. Also, keep practing on getting your chips close and work on those 4 footers. You may never play for money on the PGA tour, but close to boring par golf is really a great thing!

April 1, 2007

Reviewed by: A V Twiss ,  Shoots in the 80s

Persimmon Golf 3 wood TT DG R300

Summary:
Louisville Golf Niblicks are marketed in the UK under the name Persommon Golf. Louiville ships the heads to the UK and Persimmon Golf assembles them. I tried to order a Niblick direct from Louisville Golf and they referred me to Persimmon Golf. Quite ethical I would say. I wanted to try a persimmon club because I find that my Sonartec NP99 is quite difficult to hit off a tight fairway. My home course has links type turf with tight lies. My first experiences with the Niblick were not particularly positive. It requires a smooth swing to make a good contact but ones I had got the hang of it I now find I can hit it between 210 and 220 off the deck. The flight pattern is much lower than with the Sonartec. The steel shaft may have something to do with this. Off a low tee peg I hit it about 225. Distance wise I am sure that it is a little shorter than the Sonartec, probably by about half a club. Accuracy is superior but I can't tell you why. I only know that the dispersion pattern is much tighter. Feel is completely different. In the first place the club is much heavier and there is distinct "thwack" when you meet the ball. It does not sound as powerful as the right from a well struck metal but there is something deeply safisfying about hearing a distinctive "crack" and then watching the ball fly down the fairway. Poor swings are severely punished. Definitely an acquired taste and not for everyone but if you have a smooth swing and don't try to leap at the ball you will be rewareded with almost comparable distance, tight dispersion and a feel like no other.

Just one other criticism. Why on earth did the suppliers give me a leather head cover? Totally unsuitable for British weather.

Only giving 3 starts fro value as they are expensive compared to US prices. Even with VAT and import duty.

Persimmon golf were very helpful in deciing the best shaft option for me. Built from scratch and delivered in a week.

Powerbilt citation 5 wood. Awsome head, long and straight but the leather grip was a pain.