>>Reviews >> Fairway Woods >>

Information Added By

September 15, 2012

Reviewed by: rjboyle ,  Shoots in the 70s

Rapture 14° 3 wood

Summary:
Been swinging like a tool all season and conceded that bigger is better when I bought a used Rapture 14° on eBay for £30. Fitted it with a Proforce Gold 85X (£15) and as planned, this thing is like a second (but more accurate) driver for when things aren't going so well with the big stick.

There seems to be a slight discrepancy aligning the head since a squared up face tends to be slightly open on the half-moon graphic on top (I'm 6'3" or maybe it just likes to sit slightly closed at address - it's no big deal). As I mentioned, this club is BIG and super-forgiving, perfect for tee shots but surprisingly great off the deck too.

Compared to my 15° G5 w/JZ X steel shaft which is itself a big 3 wood, launch angle is slightly lower, carry is marginally greater and it's more accurate (note the Proforce 85X is a LOT stiffer than the JZ X steel shaft).

For what these are going for used on eBay, if you get the right flex and don't mind (or even like) the big head - in my opinion, it's a total winner. I swing at 120mph driver and this thing goes a long way. Much more importantly, it's so forgiving that it almost always goes where I'm aiming!

Not used

G5 3 wood/JZ X steel

November 9, 2011

Reviewed by: bossanovawitcha ,  Shoots in the 80s

Rapture 3w 14*

Summary:
Wow, holy gelatinous mass Batman, this thing is long. I just replaced my beloved 07 Burner 3W, which was an awesome 3w, with the Rapture because I never found myself in many positions where the 3w was getting used. The Rapture trajectory is lower, obviously, but I don't generally find myself hoping to hit and land a green softly from 250 yards out. When I'm playing wisely (and well) and breaking 80, I am only hitting 3w on open par 5's and off the tee when the driver is giving me trouble. This thing is like having a backup half-driver! On shorter par 4's I use an 18* hybrid (also Rapture, love the Rapture hybrids as 'tweener' wood/hybrids) when I need precision off the tee.. I'm hitting this thing 275 off the tee with a perfect strike, and to those who say it can't be hit off the ground, I must disagree.. It isn't much more difficult to hit than my Burner was off tight lies, and it is easier to hit out of fluffier lies with the bigger face. Great club for the established golfer playing the course instead of letting the course play you..

PING is 2nd to none.

TM Burner, R7, R9; PING G10,

May 26, 2009

Reviewed by: Gary (Kitty Kat) Woods ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping Rapture 3-wood

Summary:
If your tired of fighting inconsistant drivers (I've been through 5 in the last year) and realized I can't square the face up with a 45-46 inch shaft. Why not find the largest profile 3-wood for driving with a 43 inch shaft. Makes sense. Finally fiund the original Ping Rapture fairway wood. A massive 229cc head made of all titanium. Downside is it may be to big to hot off the ground. Doesn't matter to me, because this is basiclly my driver. Great club off the tee.

not needed

10.5 degree Tour Edge exotics driver, Black Max 3-wood by Maxfli, Srixon 503-D driver 11.5 degree

April 5, 2009

Reviewed by: Glencap1 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping Rapture 3w

Summary:
I had almost given up on the 3 wood in favor of the easier to launch 5 woods but I still needed a longer club that could get me closer on second shots on the long fairways and keep me out of trouble on tight fairways. The Rapture 3w is the answer for me. It is easy to launch from the carpet or off the tee and is both long and straight. It's all I could ask from a fairway wood. Now that the V2 Rapture is out the prices have dropped to make them competitive with most of the other quality choices.

NA

Titleist 906 F4, Cobra S91, TE Exotics

March 18, 2009

Reviewed by: golfer7890 ,  Shoots in the 90s

17* Rapture wood

Summary:
I purchased the Rapture 5 wood because I love my Rapture driver. The fairway Rapture is large in size, but I found this club not very playable. Bulky and awkward. A good lie is required to hit this club. It's good off the tee, but I primarily use my woods from the fairway. Also I did not find this titanium wood any longer than a conventional steel fairway metal.

Ping Customer Service is excellent.

G2, G5, G10, Burner 07, X Cally, Exotics, Cleveland Launcher Steel, Bertha 07, 909f2, Cobra SZ/SS