Armour 845 Irons Review

More Products from Armour  >>

July 14, 2016

Reviewed by: Don ,  Shoots in the 90s

845s

Summary:
I've owned a full set of 855s (1I-PW, plus approach, sand, and lob wedges) since the mid 1990's, these were the "oversized" irons that came after the original 845s. They still hit consistently true for me, and I'm ready to pass them on to my soon as he begins to play. . .the three lines on the hosel indicate the lie of the iron - upright (steepest), regular, or flat. The painted line of the three indicates the lie of the particular club.

June 25, 2016

Reviewed by: Michael ,  Shoots in the 70s

845s Silver Scot

Summary:
I've went through starter sets, and Ping Red dots. Lost my Pings in a burglary of a storage unit, and quit playing gold for a few years. I started looking at used sets this year, and found a guy on Craigslist with numerous sets of clubs. Taylormade, Pings, everything out there. He shops estate sales in a high end, retirement area in Green Valley, Az. My previous clubs I had shortened for me because of my build. I was in his garage looking over some fantastic sets of clubs, drivers, Etc. I had a set of Srixon in my hands, and looked over at the 845s set. Pulled a 3-iron out and compared it to the Srixon and the 845s was about 2" shorter. I started swinging them and the balance and feel was perfect for me. Keep in mind I haden't swung a club in 4-years. Took them to the range and within 40-minutes was hitting straight with average to above average distance. I hit the PW 120yds spot on. I took them in and had the loft changed about two degrees more per club, based on factory numbers. I went back out and was hitting the 3-iron, lofted to 22-degrees, 190yds and straight down the fairway. I regripped them with Rexton over sized grips, and am spot on with these clubs. Now the fun part! I'm a former college football player who still lifts weights consistently. 5'10 and 245lbs. I'm a school teacher and have the reputation of being all muscle with no finesse. One of my assistant principals, who has about $1500.00 in Taylormade equipment, was laughing at my old Scots. This guy was on his golf team, played in college, and is competitive in tournament play. I took him out the a local course, one of the most challenging in Arizona, and pushed him or beat him 14 out of 18 holes! Those Scots played straight, perfect loft for me, and I was laying there looking at birdie or par on every hole. I have these clubs totally dialed in. I've got $140 into the irons including the loft changes and he was sitting there with $1500 in Taylormade gear! New isn't always better. I'm very happy with these old school clubs!I rated them at 4-stars only because the factory lofts were off about 1-degree from factory ratings, and I needed to do some loft changes to bring the best out of them for me.

April 19, 2016

Reviewed by: Marc ,  Shoots in the 70s

Tommy Armour 845S

Summary:
Some of the best golfers I played with in the early 90's had the 845s irons. I always wanted them, just now gonna pick up a set on EBay.
One question: what are those three little lines on the hosel?

N/a

Wilson 1200GE, Ping Eye, Wilson 1200TN

June 16, 2014

Reviewed by: Sandman ,  Shoots in the 70s

Tommy Armour silverscot 845s patented

Summary:
I bought my 845s in 1990 and worked my hcp to a 4. Stopped playing from 2000 to 2012 - raising kids. Then I went and bought new technology Calaway forged and it just wasn't the same so I'm back to the originals. Got my hcp down to 2.5 recently because of this. Will never swing another set of irons!

February 17, 2014

Reviewed by: TIim Gainer ,  Shoots in the 100s

Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot iron set

Summary:
I had just gotten back into the game last year after a 20 year layoff. I had been using training irons and felt it was time for a change. I stumbled across a set of these (3-PW) at a garage sale for $30. I figured, what the heck? The bag was worth that much!

What a change!

My shots are straight, they feel great on impact and the lofts are just right for my game. I liked them so much that i had to go out and find the sand and lob wedge to complete the set!

I've read so many reviews about the Silver
Scots being some of the best irons ever made. They're all true! I tried a set of Cobra Bafflers last year as well - the technology is nothing close to what Armour made back in the day. Someone needs to revive this model. Cast iron? Yes, please!