Ben Hogan Apex Plus Irons Review

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

From Ben Hogan Golf: "When Ben Hogan introduced the first forged, perimeter-weighted irons in 1989, he built the club some said, "couldn't be made." The "impossible" combination of perimeter-weighted forgiveness and forged feel. This experience, technology and innovation shapes the Ben Hogan Apex Plus. Many golfers have aspired to play a Ben Hogan Apex. Now, the perimeter-weighted Apex Plus provides an appreciably larger sweet spot across the face of the club, from heel to toe. Off-center hits will go longer, be more accurate and just happen to "feel" a lot better, too."

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

October 22, 2014

Reviewed by: Rick ,  Shoots in the 80s

Hogan Apex Plus

Summary:
Having given up on golf because of back issues 14 years ago, I left a 6 handicap at 46 years old. Deciding 4 months ago to begin playing again, I wanted to replace my Hogan Apex blades with a little newer version and bought the apex plus on ebay 3-pw for $140.00. I am amazed how quickly I got back in the groove, so I decided to go to Edwin Watts and just for grins try out some game improvement clubs, surprisingly my Hogan's are just as long as the mizuno 825's and the callaway apex, which by the way all three are beautiful clubs. I am a player that likes instant feedback from his irons and Hogan's let you have it quick. Personally game improvement clubs might work a little for the high handicap golfer, I think I will stick to my Hogans and get my swing back in the right groove and save that $1000. I see many high handicap golfers swinging clubs that consistently get them in trouble, get the swing plane right and you can tie a coke bottle to a stick and hit a golf ball straight.

November 12, 2013

Reviewed by: KiKi ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Summary:
I had heard great things about Hogan irons and a few days ran across a set of Apex Plus (3-E) sitting in corner of golf store. The grips were quite worn and slick but other wise the irons themselves were 9/10 with nearly perfect faces.

Took them over to the simulator and was hitting some incredibly consistent shots despite the worn grips. The feel on these was just as all the reviews said and honestly I was hitting them just as good as my Mizuno JPX Pros and other irons I have. Distances were about the same so I finally looked at the price and store had them at 29.99. A no-brainer for sure. Had some new grips put on and hit them again in the simulator and I was actually getting five more yards with my 6 iron. Cant wait to get these on the course and see what I can really do. O

Outstanding irons and I see just why all the rave reviews. It just amazes me how all the technology that has come about over the years and still hit a 15 or 20 year old set as well as the new stuff. That could be attributed to my woeful golf game but either way I now have a set of some classic sticks. I would put them up against anything I have previously played.

Only reason I cant give a 5 rating is because I haven't gamed them yet.

Mizuno JPX 800 Pro's, PING G series, MacGregor Tourney VIP

August 25, 2012

Reviewed by: Joe Wiseman ,  Shoots in the 100s

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Summary:
I have been carrying some Hogan equipment in my bag for a few years now, however, my base iron set was a Callaway X14. In May, I kinda stole a set of these at a used equipment show in Dayton Ohio for $120. I know that as a "bad" or "average" golfer, I got no business playing clubs like these. When i first took them to the Range,I knew that I would never get another "game improvement" set of irons again. By playing these clubs (admittedly a bit easier than pure blades, but anyway) i have gotten to the level where i should hit pure shots every time. Since i know when and why i hit a bad shot, it makes me not want to hit a bad shot. By hitting these pure, it makes me want to practice and get better, dig the secret out of the dirt, and hit more good shots. In short, I have seen the fallicy of game improvement clubs, technology, and the like. Its gotten so bad that I've almost put my Razr Hawk Tour out to pasture for an old MacGregor Challenger persimmon driver.
The secret is in the dirt.

No need. However, Callaway, my modern favorite, killed them...

MagGregor Tom Weiskopf Signature 910 irons, MacGregor FC 4000 1959 irons.

January 27, 2012

Reviewed by: tim ,  Shoots in the 80s

hogan apex plus

Summary:
Im a senior and i have become a better player with the hogan apex plus iron's,I hit the ball longer and a lot closer to the pin now.I think the hogan apex iron's are the best made club's, Calaway need's to open there eye's, This is a class a set of golf club's.

where is it.

taylormade iron's, china make's a cheep golf club.

December 4, 2011

Reviewed by: Ben Bailey ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ben Hogan Apex plus Irons

Summary:
Let me start by saying I have played a hand full of sets over all my years playing and found that true golfers love the equipment they started with. The Hogan Apex Plus are simply some the best irons ever made. There are a handful of sets that you can go back to again and again that have the flight, feel and register of these. In todays market new clubs are available by a select few that capture this, by the way they all cost over 799.00 - 1999.00! Why when you can pick these up on ebay for 90.00-200.00! The feel is like a... "hot knife through butter when struck right." I have heard this said over and over to review this set. The weight and forged feel of these make sure you are rewarded with the proper flight and trajectory right off the sweet spot is what we all mean to say. A mid flight with a slight right to left bend and plenty of feel to will the ball in the direction you want it to go once learned. No other Fat headed bantering over sweet spot clubs can teach you to break below the 70's or shoot consistently in them. So if you are ready or ever want to know how to shape your shots with clubs that tell the truth, reward tempo and a proper impact position these are for you. The original quality of Hogan will be missed and I simply doubt that Callaway Golf after purchasing the name will ever resurrect anything close to how these were originally made and feel. I have changed the shafts to Project X how ever and love the feel so way to go Callaway on the project X shafts! In conclusion if you do not own a set like this you should simply to improve your game and feel what you are missing. Forged irons give feel and allow you to move to the next level of golf. If you are like many golfers, even the youngest pro's of today you started on forged irons and never looked back!

Wilson Staff Forged