Ben Hogan Apex Plus Irons Review

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

From Ben Hogan Golf: "When Ben Hogan introduced the first forged, perimeter-weighted irons in 1989, he built the club some said, "couldn't be made." The "impossible" combination of perimeter-weighted forgiveness and forged feel. This experience, technology and innovation shapes the Ben Hogan Apex Plus. Many golfers have aspired to play a Ben Hogan Apex. Now, the perimeter-weighted Apex Plus provides an appreciably larger sweet spot across the face of the club, from heel to toe. Off-center hits will go longer, be more accurate and just happen to "feel" a lot better, too."

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

July 3, 2016

Reviewed by: Brad Morris ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex PLus ('99)

Summary:
The '99 Hogan Apex Plus irons are simply one of the top 4 or 5 iron sets ever made in the history of golf. And that includes every iron being made today. They do have a bit of offset, which some may not like. If not for that, I would declare them the undisputed greatest all around iron in the history of the game. Brilliant.

Mizuno MP-15, Wilson Staff FG V2

April 13, 2016

Reviewed by: dmfeld22 ,  Shoots in the 70s

Apex plus

Summary:
I'm a Ben Hogan snob. My Hogan snobbery has no filter. When he first started making clubs, back in the 1950's, his attitude was "I knew I could make better clubs than anything available. I just knew I could." Shazzam! Mission accomplished. He was a golf genius. Both as a player and an industry titan, his combination of ball striking know-how and product development acumen has yet to be embodied in any one individual since. Think about it. The best player before and after the car wreck, he redesigned his shoes to add a 12th cleat, because he knew more about swing anchor stability than did the manufacturer, Maxwell of London and later Stone & Tarlow. Additionally, he authored a few books slash documents on golf. One of which is arguably the most read and respected book in the history of the subject, 5 Lessons. The meat and potaters of his success was the equipment he used. His own clubs. Sometimes he made clubs for other fellow tour members who had the sense to ask. His club making skill is still reverd as one of the best efforts, to this day. Hogan lover, or not, it's a remarkable achievement.

The Apex Plus set is right at the top of anything that ever came out of Hogan Golf. There was a review here that said it best. Feels like a blade. Forgives like a game improvement iron. It's an accurate depiction, but it looks really sexy, as well. My set is 3-E (E= Equilizer for those who aren't sure. He even produced a "Sure-out" SW for those who aren't sure, lol). I wore out the Apex 4 shafts and had them replaced with 6.0 Rifles as the FCM's seemed the closest to the Apex 4's I was able to find at that time. The sweet spot fells like the size of a U.S. quarter, which is significanly larger than on other Hogan blade irons. I would compare this similarly to the Channel Backs per the sweet spot size. More forgiving than I need, but there really isn't a hint of workability loss due to the increased range of forgiveness. They have been and still are one of the very best sets of clubs ever made, and you can have a set in above average to excellent condition for $90.00 - $250.00. And there's not a chance you can hit your new Miuras all that much better than I can bend these Apex Plus babies. Wanna bet? So go ahead and fork over $2k+, or just grab a set of Apex Plus irons and use the remainder for another 20 rounds of golf. You won't be disappointed. I promise.

The best.

690MB, MP64.

October 22, 2015

Reviewed by: Ryan Edward Morris ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Summary:
I purchased a set off ebay, nearly unplayed, for 120.00. In a blind test, I would have assumed I was playing a top of the line Mizuno (jpx 850). The feel was remarkable. Smooth through the turf, blade like even, high smash factor(the ball whistled through the wind on contact, and the distance was about 168 for a smooth, easy 6 iron. There is nothing to fault in performance or feel. I was left after nearly every swing, in awe.
I have played several other older hogan's such as the 92 apex, 88 redline, and 93. These are different from those, not blades but cavity backs imo. However, I felt thesee would appeal to a broader group of people while providing a similar playability that hogan disciples have come to expect.
The look is, as is the standard for the hogan (the exception being the awful edge), top class. Hogan's forged irons seem to hold up better as well. Just look at the seemingly endless array of hogan's on ebay from 30 years ago with limited browning etc while a mizuno from last year seems aged.
Highly recommended. Especially for those who dream of playing a elite quality forged club for a modest price.

Great

Mizuno mp4, mp 54, mp 68, mp 67, titelist 690 mb, titelist 690 mb, taylor made 2005 rac tp, macgregor tourney pcb forged, ping g25.

October 22, 2014

Reviewed by: Rick ,  Shoots in the 80s

Hogan Apex Plus

Summary:
Having given up on golf because of back issues 14 years ago, I left a 6 handicap at 46 years old. Deciding 4 months ago to begin playing again, I wanted to replace my Hogan Apex blades with a little newer version and bought the apex plus on ebay 3-pw for $140.00. I am amazed how quickly I got back in the groove, so I decided to go to Edwin Watts and just for grins try out some game improvement clubs, surprisingly my Hogan's are just as long as the mizuno 825's and the callaway apex, which by the way all three are beautiful clubs. I am a player that likes instant feedback from his irons and Hogan's let you have it quick. Personally game improvement clubs might work a little for the high handicap golfer, I think I will stick to my Hogans and get my swing back in the right groove and save that $1000. I see many high handicap golfers swinging clubs that consistently get them in trouble, get the swing plane right and you can tie a coke bottle to a stick and hit a golf ball straight.

November 12, 2013

Reviewed by: KiKi ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex Plus

Summary:
I had heard great things about Hogan irons and a few days ran across a set of Apex Plus (3-E) sitting in corner of golf store. The grips were quite worn and slick but other wise the irons themselves were 9/10 with nearly perfect faces.

Took them over to the simulator and was hitting some incredibly consistent shots despite the worn grips. The feel on these was just as all the reviews said and honestly I was hitting them just as good as my Mizuno JPX Pros and other irons I have. Distances were about the same so I finally looked at the price and store had them at 29.99. A no-brainer for sure. Had some new grips put on and hit them again in the simulator and I was actually getting five more yards with my 6 iron. Cant wait to get these on the course and see what I can really do. O

Outstanding irons and I see just why all the rave reviews. It just amazes me how all the technology that has come about over the years and still hit a 15 or 20 year old set as well as the new stuff. That could be attributed to my woeful golf game but either way I now have a set of some classic sticks. I would put them up against anything I have previously played.

Only reason I cant give a 5 rating is because I haven't gamed them yet.

Mizuno JPX 800 Pro's, PING G series, MacGregor Tourney VIP