Ben Hogan Apex Redline Irons Review

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

June 26, 2014

Reviewed by: neil miner ,  Shoots in the 80s

1988 red line hogan apex

Summary:
I bought these clubs when they first came out. After a few rounds, they were so constant, with feel, and instant feedback on the shot. The clubs have been all over the world with me, Ireland(1), Scotland(3),Continental USA (43 states) and various other countries. Best clubs ever made. Have the 1-E, plus three gap wedges. Other than regripping, the clubs have never had any problems.

Laid off golf for 5 years, picked up the clubs and they never let me down, it was like they took over, flush shots, almost no lost distance and perfect feel.

No need for another set of clubs, will play these the remainder of my time playing.

And the 1,2 & 3 irons still get great distance with exceptional feel and shot making. Additionally, use the 1 iron out of tree lined rough, trouble and lay, where no other low shot will work, just use like a putter.

Hogan was the best club designer of a forged club that ever lived.

May 26, 2011

Reviewed by: Oakland ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex Redlines

Summary:
This club got a bit of a bump as i guess Tiger used them at a US Amateur he won. I don't know, but people seem to pay a lot foe them. I used mine which I got new, for many years and sold them foolishly. Still, it was a lot of money then for a club that i felt would lose that Tiger notoriety. Like most Apex irons, they look great behind the ball, these too. Somewhat of a clicky feel compared to Titleist and Mizuno forgings, but soft as butter compared to the castings we see everywhere now. They remind me of the old Spaldings I played in the 1970's as a kid in terms of feel. The long irons were always the wild care for me, as playing the 5 iron up was a breeze. Had i kept them, coupled with my hybrids, I might well play them now. When I sold them, I kept my Hogan Apex PC irons. I am not saying those were better irons per se, just that they seemed to be somewhat more forgiving on the long irons. Otherwise, a great Hogan iron...

na

hogan apex pc
mizuno mp32
mizuno mp67
mizuno ms801
callaway x-16 pro (not a blade)
tommy armour 855s (also not a blade)

May 16, 2008

Reviewed by: parrotputter ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ben Hogan Apex Redline Forged Blades, 2 through PW

Summary:
I picked up a set of these for $100 two years ago. Best money I spent on equipment, hands down. I used to play the Cleveland TA3s and think they are quite good, but I wanted to try out the blades to get a sense of a well hit shot. The small head allows you to shape shots very well to the left or right, and a well struck shot feels like a hot knife through butter. There is a bit of a learning curve if this is your first set of blades, or any blade set, since the sweet spot is much smaller than with perimeter weighted irons. I would not recommend this to new golfers, but this si a classic set of well made clubs. It took my game a few steps forward.

March 17, 2008

Reviewed by: jack.souza ,  Shoots in the 70s

Hogan Apex Redline (1990)

Summary:
Been playing these clubs for six of the last 20 years (kids got in the way). I have found nothing better. I don't think a club built in the '90's by anyone was better and the same would go for anything built prior to 2005. There are new products that are almost as good. If I had to buy now, I would probably buy Mizuno because Calloway has done some "devaluing" of the Hogan product since I bought mine.

I got these clubs not because I could hit them but because I wanted them to make me better. It wasn't long before the forged feel and instant feedback made me realize I didn't hit the ball on center. There is no feeling better than catching one of these dead nuts.

I broke an Apex 4 shaft on my 7 iron so I have since replaced all the shafts with TT DGS X-100's. I play them 1-1/2" long at a standard lie. Since I made this adjustment, I began flushing them almost every time. Wish I could have done it sooner.

Doubt that anyone cares about a review of 20 year old clubs. I still love mine and am still getting better with them.

I had a cracked head on my persimmon wood long ago. Hogan was great about replacing it, no questions asked.

nothing compares