Ben Hogan Apex Redline Irons Review

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

May 26, 2011

Reviewed by: Oakland ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex Redlines

Summary:
This club got a bit of a bump as i guess Tiger used them at a US Amateur he won. I don't know, but people seem to pay a lot foe them. I used mine which I got new, for many years and sold them foolishly. Still, it was a lot of money then for a club that i felt would lose that Tiger notoriety. Like most Apex irons, they look great behind the ball, these too. Somewhat of a clicky feel compared to Titleist and Mizuno forgings, but soft as butter compared to the castings we see everywhere now. They remind me of the old Spaldings I played in the 1970's as a kid in terms of feel. The long irons were always the wild care for me, as playing the 5 iron up was a breeze. Had i kept them, coupled with my hybrids, I might well play them now. When I sold them, I kept my Hogan Apex PC irons. I am not saying those were better irons per se, just that they seemed to be somewhat more forgiving on the long irons. Otherwise, a great Hogan iron...

na

hogan apex pc
mizuno mp32
mizuno mp67
mizuno ms801
callaway x-16 pro (not a blade)
tommy armour 855s (also not a blade)

May 16, 2008

Reviewed by: parrotputter ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ben Hogan Apex Redline Forged Blades, 2 through PW

Summary:
I picked up a set of these for $100 two years ago. Best money I spent on equipment, hands down. I used to play the Cleveland TA3s and think they are quite good, but I wanted to try out the blades to get a sense of a well hit shot. The small head allows you to shape shots very well to the left or right, and a well struck shot feels like a hot knife through butter. There is a bit of a learning curve if this is your first set of blades, or any blade set, since the sweet spot is much smaller than with perimeter weighted irons. I would not recommend this to new golfers, but this si a classic set of well made clubs. It took my game a few steps forward.

March 17, 2008

Reviewed by: jack.souza ,  Shoots in the 70s

Hogan Apex Redline (1990)

Summary:
Been playing these clubs for six of the last 20 years (kids got in the way). I have found nothing better. I don't think a club built in the '90's by anyone was better and the same would go for anything built prior to 2005. There are new products that are almost as good. If I had to buy now, I would probably buy Mizuno because Calloway has done some "devaluing" of the Hogan product since I bought mine.

I got these clubs not because I could hit them but because I wanted them to make me better. It wasn't long before the forged feel and instant feedback made me realize I didn't hit the ball on center. There is no feeling better than catching one of these dead nuts.

I broke an Apex 4 shaft on my 7 iron so I have since replaced all the shafts with TT DGS X-100's. I play them 1-1/2" long at a standard lie. Since I made this adjustment, I began flushing them almost every time. Wish I could have done it sooner.

Doubt that anyone cares about a review of 20 year old clubs. I still love mine and am still getting better with them.

I had a cracked head on my persimmon wood long ago. Hogan was great about replacing it, no questions asked.

nothing compares