Ben Hogan Apex Irons Review

Ben Hogan Apex

From Ben Hogan Co: "...the 1998 Apex Iron combines some of the best features of the '88 and '94 Apex models. The result is the feel and performance you would expect from a forged blade, incorporated into the most playable blade design available today."

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

Review Abstract
"Cosmetically these clubs are absolutely beautiful with flawless workmanship throughout the entire set." The Ben Hogan Apex is an "outstanding set of forged irons." Amazingly pure, soft yet solid feel at impact. Many players report vast improvement in their iron play with these clubs. Reported as "a little bit pricy, but worth every penny." "This is what the best club in golf feels like. This is the best iron out there."

July 24, 2015

Reviewed by: John A ,  Scratch Golfer

Hogan Apex 98-99

Summary:
I have played a number of what I consider quality blades,67 VIPS,Hogan Personnal model (set 0644) Cleveland TA1,Nike VR pro
and Hogan Apex 98-99 and nice as the Hogan 98-99s are by far the nicest looking and performing blade is the Clevelands absolutely beautiful even more so than a 63 round Carnoustie in a hoolie or a 40 year old Sophia Loren.PS thats taking into account that the Hogan 89-99s have DG S300s in them.

July 30, 2014

Reviewed by: j. cev ,  Shoots in the 70s

ben hogan apex blades

Summary:
all i want to add about these irons is they are extremely durable!! i don't know how these irons are chromed but the bag chatter on these is very minimal. after owning for several years without head covers and mostly clanging around in a cart these have held up much better than my old mizuno mp-29's.

no needed

mp-14, mp-29, eye 2 copper and steel

July 18, 2011

Reviewed by: billy lumsden ,  Shoots in the 70s

apex irons by ben hogan

Summary:
love those irons best ever

November 19, 2010

Reviewed by: mike borucki ,  Shoots in the 70s

Hogan Apex 98-02

Summary:
I have been a golfer since I was a kid and have a good natural swing. For the first 15 yrs, I played with some DCI's and never really thought about changing. However, about 5 yrs ago I discoverd Ben Hogans book, Five Lessons and for the first time ever I understood the golf swing, I wish someone would have gave me this book when I was young!( I give it away all the time). The first season after I read this book was the most fun I've had on a golf course, my irons where pure & straight and my scores droped into the 70's. Since then, I have read EVERYTHING Hogan and swithced to Hogan irons, the APEX EDGE PRO's(cavity back forged irons) Great irons,and with my new (Hogan inspired swing)my game got even better. Then I started to try some old school blades thinking it would interesting to see if I could hit them. I tried everything, Mizuno's, KZG's, Nike....then I found the APEX 98's. Much to my delight most of the blades were very playable and decided to get a set of Apex 98's. Got them off EBAY with Rifle 6.0 which I thought might be to much for me, but I hit them dead straight. I think everyone with normal ability should play stiffer shafts, the ball WILL go straighter and more consistent. For some reason I decided to reshaft them with the KBS tour shafts, did it myself, fun project, swingweight D-2 the hole bit. I leraned alot about the affect a shaft has on a golf swing/ball. For the record I actually have four 5 iron heads fitted with different shafts so I could try which shaft worked the best, (Stock Apex #4,Rifle 6.0, Project X 5.5 and the KBS tour stiff). I have to say the Hogan shaft was the worst, it was like hitting a different club, all the other shafts preformed much better, with ball flight lower and more powerful. This project has showed me that the shaft IS the engine of a club and a correct fit will help any golfer. I still keep the Rifle 6.0 in my bag because I think I hit it more consistent then the KBS's (always tinkering). The reason I talked about Ben's book is that it made me a much better golfer and I can really enjoy playing blades because of it. With that said a good blade iron will make anyone play better. At least buy a single 6I and take it to the range, I promise, you will be converted. In conclusion the Apex 98's are not only some of the best looking irons ever, they are also in a very small group of great blade irons (others:MP-29,MP-37,MP-14, KZG to name a few) that anyone can play and enjoy. A purely struk Apex is the only way to feel what Ben Hogan felt every time he hit a golf ball and for that reason I will play my Apex's for a long time.
Thx for reading
Henny Bogan

MP-29, MP-37, KZG, NIKE V forged, Really liked the nikes but will not support the Guy behind them. Actually if you look at the set Mr. Hogan desiged and played the "Personals" from 1953 you will see that its copied by Mizuno ( the MP-14's which Tiger played before his Titlest club contract and only if they made him a set that closly matched the mp-14'S! and now the nike's are very similar.

December 30, 2009

Reviewed by: kaparn ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Apex

Summary:
I picked these up from the net for less then $250 for about two years ago. The reason was that I wanted to try something “a little harder” then my Ping G5 and Eye2, and all my friends said that the ultimate set to have before you checked in to the Heavenly G&CC is a forged Hogan set. I have to agree. When you play good golf and have time to practice your shots and shot making capabilities, blades are the deal. If you are not that serious about your game, maybe you should look for something else, but at the same time; these could help you improve your game if given the chance. The shafts in my set are Hogan by Spalding no 3 (regular), and they fit the club heads nicely, I like the combination. Considering my swing speed (80-83 mph with I6) the do the job very good and I do not need a stiffer shaft. When the sun shines and you have the wind in your back, there are not a whole lot of sets I would rather have in my bag.

The only sad thing about this set is that Hogan as a company, for all intents and purposes no longer exists as an independent club maker, which I think is a great shame.

I have not been needing it.

Mizuno MP-33, Titleist 695mb, Titleist 690.mb, Alpha V2-mb