Ben Hogan Edge Irons Review

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

January 6, 2013

Reviewed by: Tod Percle ,  Shoots in the 80s

Hogan Edge Irons

Summary:
Also love my old Hogan Edge Iron Set from the late 80s/early 90s. They were my first set and like other posters I keep going back to them for the feel.

I also have a couple of new unopened right hand P through 3 sets - anyone know what they are worth?

September 10, 2011

Reviewed by: Dave ,  Shoots in the 80s

Hogan Edge forged irons

Summary:
I have had my Hogan Edge forged irons since 1994, and they were used then. I love them! I have gone from being a 20+ handicap to now a 10 and still love these. They let you know when you make a poor swing (sore hands help improve my swing at least as much as the swing tips on Golf Channel!) and reward you with that sweet feeling when you are making contact. Sadly, they have been so well used that the grooves are losing their edge and the leading edges of many of the clubs are getting so damaged from the inevitable little rocks/detritus and such that I (occasionally!) hit whilst playing that I now have to (sadly) replace them. Any thoughts on a similar new iron set? I have tried the Adams CB2 irons (also forged) and quite like them but would like to find another set or two to compare...thoughts??

June 15, 2010

Reviewed by: cokesh ,  Shoots in the 90s

Hogan Edge

Summary:
I just traded a Cleveland driver for a set of these. The clubs are in very nice shape. I tested the 6 iron prior to the trade and I was very impressed. Hitting the rest of the set was the same. Very nice. I do find I hit these farther with my 7 iron averaging about 165 vs around 155 with other irons I've tried. I even hit the long irons better than my hybrids. I have found that I love hitting forged irons. I have had nothing but problems hitting the "max game, and game improvement" irons. The soles and heads in general are just too fat. I may as well have a cinder block on a stick. These aren't super small either, but I can hit them well. I will trade off play between these and the set of Wilson Goose-necks (which also hit beautifully) that I have. Yep, forged irons all the way for me. I'm of the belief that my game will improve if I can feel if I have hit the ball correctly or not. Not having a big trampoline face that lets me play fat/dumb/happy with any old lousy swing.

Wilson Goose-neck fg-53, cleveland launcher, callaway x-22, cleveland CG Gold.

May 3, 2010

Reviewed by: Renman ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan Edge Original Forged

Summary:
If you can still find a decent set of these with Apex Steel Shafts, buy them! I originally bought these use about 12 years ago. Since that time, I now have a set of Ping G10's and TM RAC's and I keep going back to the Hogans. They feel very sweet!

Ping G10, Taylormade RAC

October 12, 2009

Reviewed by: JIM RESTIVO ,  Shoots in the 80s

APEX FORGED 2006

Summary:
THROWADART! FANTASTIC BLADES. YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A GREAT CLUB IN YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU CAN REALLY FEEL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE BALL YOU PLAY. A ROCK HARD BALL OFF THESE STICKS? FORGET IT. GIVE THEM AWAY.
THESE CLUBS WILL TELL YOU... GIVE ME A QUALITY [FEEL] BALL. SOMETHING I CAN SPIN ON TO THE GREEN. EXCEPT FOR 2 SETS OF CAVITY BACKS I HAVE PLAYED FORGED CLUBS FOR OVER 20 YEARS. WILSON, RAM,YONEX,TITLEIST,McGREGOR AND TOP FLIGHT. NOTHING EVEN COMES CLOSE FOR CONTROL/FEEL. I DON'T HIT THE HOGAN'S AS FAR. BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT. ACCURACY IS THE KEY WITH THESE IRONS. MY ONLY REGRET IS SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY ON OTHER EQUIPMENT. THE FEEL IS SO SWEET ON THESE STICKS. IT'S LIKE I CAN FEEL THE IRON WRAP AROUND THE GOLF BALL. AND THE ACTION, WOW! I GO AFTER SHOTS THAT I'VE NEVER THOUGHT TO TRY BEFORE. THAT OPENS UP A WHOLE NEW SIDE TO THE GAME. I DO HAVE TROUBLE OF HARD,TIGHT LIES WITH THE 3/4 IRONS. BUT I KNOW IT'S THEPLAYER,NOT THE CLUB. OFF A DECENT LIE,NO PROBLEM. SMALL MARGIN FOR ERROR MAKES YOU IMPROVE.
APPROACH IRONS.. THE MORE YOU PINCH THE BALL THE MORE IT WILL SPIN. JUST MAKE GOOD CONTACT. I WAS SO TAKEN BY THE PLAYABILITY THAT I REPLACED MY OTHER STICKS WITH HOGAN HYBRIDS 0-1-2-3-4 AND
CARNOUSTIE WEDGES. I DROPPED 6 STROKES IN ONE SEASON. NOW I GO TO THE COURSE AND DECIDE [OTHER THAN MY TRUSTY PUTTER +
DRIVER] WHICH 3 CLUBS ARE STAYING IN THE
CAR. WHAT A GAS TO HAVE WHAT AMOUNTS TO AN ADJUSTABLE GAME. YOU CAN PUT THIS SET TOGETHER USED FOR THE PRICE OF A NEW DRIVER. I BOUGHT MY STUFF AT CLOSE OUT PRICES. WITH THE MONEY I SAVED I WAS ABLE TO PLAY ALL SEASON [LIFE IS GOOD].

CALLAWAY IS MAKING A HUGE MISTAKE FOR STOPPING THE HOGAN LINE