Ben Hogan H-40 Irons Review

More Products from Ben Hogan  >>

June 2, 2014

Reviewed by: mark waggoner ,  Shoots in the 90s

h40

Summary:
Just recieved my eBay shipment. In my younger days I played Haig Ultras. I bought a used set of Radials in mid life. Then laid off for 18 yrs. I loved the higher shots,a little more distance and square grooves. I no longer can bend the stiff shafts so I was looking for a senior set. Liked the looks and with the larger blade and noodle shafts I thought I'd give them a try. I immediately headed out to the pasture with a 5 iron and shag bag.
To my surprise, I hit them longer and straighter than the Radials. My tendency has always been to hit about 1/4" toward the toe so the extra toe weighting seems to work in my favor. I can hit a nice high draw or fade (not Bubba stuff) as well as straight. Haven't been on the course yet to see what kind of backspin I get. Came with a 60* which is a new one for me.

PS. I didn't notice any "clunk" and I never liked Pings because of lack of feel, these don't feel much different than the forged Radial and the senior shafts a working great with my senior swing.
I like 'em a lot.

none

Haig Ultra, Hogan Radial

June 18, 2010

Reviewed by: Sam-I-Am ,  Shoots in the 80s

Hogan H40

Summary:
My very first set of irons was a set of H40s I bought at Play It Again Sports. I forget what I paid for them, but they were cheap. They were also some of the easiest hitting clubs I've ever owned and very forgiving on off-center shots. Not having a lot of distance I picked up a 2 iron on clearance at Edwin Watts. My game eventually got better and I got better clubs but the H40's were a great starter set. They can stll be picked up cheap on Ebay and make a great first set of clubs if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Never used

Ping Eye 2, Hogan Director, Goldwyn AVDP, Lynx Black Cat, Ping i3, Ping ISI, Ping G2.

April 6, 2010

Reviewed by: jetdriver ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ben Hogan H-40

Summary:
Last time I used these they felt clunky compared to Ping Eye 2's. I will try these again soon and see if I change my mind.- I like the way they look and they feel good to swing, but that thud at impact....well.... I guess I will try them again soon just for kicks.

-None

Ping Eye 2,

March 19, 2010

Reviewed by: troyster ,  Shoots in the 80s

ben hogan h-40

Summary:
I used a 3 and 4 iron of this model in place of the 3 and 4 iron in my set of hogan radials, the idea being a little more yardage and more forgivness. I felt that there was actually too much toe weight on these and found these two clubs were very hard to draw, ball just wanted to go to the right. Put the original 3 and 4 back in the bag after only a few rounds.The h-40's aren't bad looking and when struck well do have some length. Can't speak for the whole set however. The original hogan edge forged cavitiy back irons are about the best game improvement irons this company ever made, much better than the h-40's.

Calloway has squandered this legendary brand out of existance.

owned many differant irons.