Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Irons Review

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

Callaway Golf has weight distribution technology. The Tunite cradle allows 77% of the mass to be positioned around the extreme perimeter of the iron for ultra-high MOI and a low, deep CG; the TPU SenSert helps reduce vibration for great feel, plus eliminating the hollow sound and feel of an oversized cavity-back for a crisp, responsive sound; the lightweight 6-4 titanium face insert is 22% lighter than a comparable steel face allowing the weight to be distributed around the perimeter for faster ball speed.

More Products from Callaway  >>

November 8, 2012

Reviewed by: Captain Insano ,  Shoots in the 90s

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Irons

Summary:
I'm an admitted hacker, always looking for a way to buy a game. My clubs were stolen out of my car trunk, and with two kids in college, I didn't have much to spend on a new set of clubs. I found a used set (4-a) of Fusion irons at Roger Dunn for $140. Best money I ever spent. They're not the longest irons, but are very accurate and very forgiving. They probably are a little shorter than my (stolen) TM r7's, but I've found them to be much more reliable. These irons originally sold for $1100-1200, so to find a set for about 1/10th of the original price was OK with me. Plus, they look pretty cool, and the vibration insert really does help on mis-hits.

Taylormade r7
Ping i3

April 17, 2012

Reviewed by: david buchanan ,  Shoots in the 80s

Callaway Fusion Irons

Summary:
I paid $1500 for my set of Callaway Fusion Irons and was happy to have finally purchase what I thought was a top of the line set of clubs. Great clubs at the start but I am very disappointed with the end result. I only play in the summer as I live in Canada where the golf season is May-Sept at best. Fusion is an understatement as after three seasons of play the head of my 3 and then 7 iron literally came flying off the shaft, nearly wounding other playing partners. The clubs I thought would last me for years lasted just past their very short warranty of 2 years??? I would not recommend these clubs and will never purchase Callaway products again. I am very disappointed and disheartened as I am an avid golfer and feel like I have been ripped off.

Callaway has offered to repair the set for $50 a club - not a cheap investment the second time around. I'm not impressed with their customer service and have been told by the outlet I purchased the clubs from that Callaway customer service and/or warranty is not as good as their competators - Titlest, Taylor Made and Nike.

Titlest - best irons I have ever played with. Sorry I ever purchased with Callaway.

June 18, 2010

Reviewed by: Dexter Haven ,  Shoots in the 80s

Callaway ERC Fusion Irons

Summary:
On paper these irons have all the buzzwords: titanium face, tunite cradle, etc. But don't be seduced. These irons are not nearly as good as Callaway irons of a decade ago. They are not as long nor playable as Great Big Bertha tungsten titanium irons nor as good as Big Bertha 2002 irons. Drivers and fairway woods have come along way in the past decade, but I'm not so sure the same is true of irons. The fact is Callaway couldn't produce the GBB tungsten titanium irons because now because they'd just be too expensive. But they are so well made in the fashion of Ping Eye2 irons, that they represent a real bargain in the used market. They are much, much better than the ERC Fusions.

Never needed it.

Callaway X-14, pro series 12s, Big Bertha 2002s, 2006s. Nickent 3DX, Nickent 4DX, Ping Eye2, Eye3, G2, S59 and G10.

January 6, 2010

Reviewed by: Roy W ,  Shoots in the 80s

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion

Summary:
This is an outstanding set of clubs, both aesthetically and in performance. The Fusion irons have a much cleaner top-line than any previous versions of Big Berthas, and this is what I prefer as it gives me more confidence at address. The stock uniflex shaft seems to just work for me, as regular flex shafts are usually too whippy to me, but I don't swing fast enough for a true stiff either.

My game was tailing off a bit after several years of hitting Mizuno MX-17s (which I loved), and now it is back to where it was. I recommend this club to everyone.

Haven't had to use them. They do send free personalized club labels after registering on their website.

Mizuno MX-17, Taylormade Burner, Ping Eye 2

November 9, 2009

Reviewed by: JP Jones ,  Shoots in the 80s

Big Bertha Fusion

Summary:
I got the Fusion irons because of previous good luck with Callaway irons, X14's. They are nice sticks, but I am not sure that they are as nice as the x series irons. They scratch really easy for a $1k set of irons and they are shorter than other irons that I own.

Callaway has great customer service and stands behind their products.

Callaway X-14, Mizuno MX-19, and Ping G2