Callaway X-16 Set Irons Review

Callaway X-16 Set

The standard X-16 Irons have a shorter blade length and a higher topline than the X-14 irons, with the benefit of Callaway Golf''s new "Notch" weighting. This moves the weight to the perimeter for strong, confidence-enhancing look behind the ball. Each iron has a low center of gravity for strong trajectory and great forgiveness, a cambered sole for better turf interaction, and a soft satin finish with a contrasting, sandblasted hitting area. The graphite shafts give you the flex options that you want - with the options to benefit varied swing speeds and styles. Also available in proprietary, ultralight, uniflex Constant Weight steel shaft manufactured by True Temper.

More Products from Callaway  >>

August 25, 2013

Reviewed by: Neil Heron ,  Shoots in the 70s

Callaway x 16

Summary:
A few years ago I found a Callaway x16 two iron.The head was a different shape to the one I was using although the shaft was a similar flex.The club stays in my bag.

December 19, 2007

Reviewed by: David Bowden ,  Shoots in the 90s

CALLAWAY X-16's, REG GRAPH

Summary:
I bought a used set 3-PW for $200 and put new Lamkin dual density(green)grips on the regular flex graphite shafts just before summer. The finish on the stock Callaway shafts continues to look new on all the clubs and the heads still look nice and seem to wear very well. I'm impressed with their durability and potential to last. If my swing is on it seems these help get me in 80's more often than any iron set I've ever owned. Well struck shots feel very solid with a mid high flight that doesn't balloon. Distance is very good and they don't rely on extra strong lofts. Accuracy is very good when my swing stays on plane. I've heard some people say they're clunky lookwise and feelwise but I disagree. To me they inspire confidence and have what I would describe as simple good looks. They work well in short game situations too although I had to adapt my technique to what these do well. These irons got tested under fire at our club championship this year. I had played very poorly the year before but being determined to handle the pressure better and armed with my X-16's I managed to shoot rounds of 87 and 90 with our golf course more or less set up like a U.S. OPEN. That got me a 3rd place trophy in my flight. Now I'm a complete believer in Callaway X-16 irons and their notch weighting technology.

Have never used.

Forged Mizuno cavity backs, Ping I3+, Adams GT Ultimates and TaylorMade Rac OS.

April 12, 2007

Reviewed by: Doug ,  Shoots in the 80s

X-16 Irons

Summary:
Solid set of irons. Especially for the current price. Worth picking up an approach wedge to match, it's made my short game more consistent and offers the option to still chip instead of pitching on some uphill shots. These irons have been great to me--very playable and consistent. Easy to hit a slight cut or draw but still give the game improvement edge. Nice balance between game improvement and players clubs, favoring game improvement. I don't carry the 3 or 4 in my bag but they are very hittable compared to other clubs. Have the rifle uniflex, which are good for the developing player. In the course of the last year I've added significant swing speed, but don't feel that I need to get them reshafted. Great feel for a game improvement iron. Chipping is a joy, but pitch shots can be clunky.

March 12, 2007

Reviewed by: Pky6471 ,  Shoots in the 90s

Callaway X-16 iron

Summary:
I normally shoot in the 87-95 range. I bought a set of X-16 irons about 18 months ago. Clubs came with R-flex 75-g graphite stock shafts. I really enjoy these clubs, however I have to close the club face of 3-6 irons to about 11 O'clock in order to hit them straight. Last X-mas I told a local PGA professional at Dick's Sporting Goods about this and he checked out my swing with tape .After hitting several balls, the tape confirmed that I need to play with a 2-degree upright lie. So Dick's Sporting Goods charges $4/club for lie adjustment. I played a round yesterday with newly bent clubs and what a difference it makes... for 18 holes, I did not slice once with my iron, now I have a neutral set up and ball flights higher and straight. I liked my clubs before, I enjoy them much better now... Hopefully they will help me play consistently in the 80s

So believe in 'custom fit' clubs. I cannot believe that only 2-degree upright lie makes a HUGE improvement in my game.

Enjoy your game

Callaway is THE best in this category

King Cobra, TaylorMade, Wilson

January 9, 2007

Reviewed by: David Rainone ,  Shoots in the 80s

x-16

Summary:
I have been playing X-16's for 3 years now and have over 100 rounds on my set with rifle tour stiff shafts. They are very forgiving and the 3,4,5 irons are amazing. My handicap went down from 12 to 9 over the three years. However, the higher numbered clubs are chunky and lack feel. I lost 10 yards on the pitching wedge from my previous set (125 down to 115 max) and can't tell you how many skulled chips I've had due to the heaviness and clunkiness of the PW and 9. These clubs are super for a high handicapper but not for finnesse shots.

outstanding, had a loose head (shaft would spin) Callaway replaced with new club.)

Taylormade Firesole, Tommy Armour 855's