Callaway X-18 Irons Review

Callaway X-18

X-Series Irons from Callaway Golf have long been favored by some of the best players in the world because of their performance-enhancing technologies and by recreational golfers due to their forgiveness and great looks. The new X-18 and X-18 Pro Series Irons combine many of the same patented.

More Products from Callaway  >>

Callaway Golf

December 14, 2011

Reviewed by: pullhook ,  Shoots in the 80s

Callaway X-18

Summary:
To be honest I only use the X-18 4-iron. A few months back after a minor wrist injury forced me to reduce practice and swing easier I decided I should get a set of game improvement irons. But after looking around, modern game improvement sets from the major companies have become increasingly ugly in some sort of exponential curve. Too ugly to stomach and their pretty player irons were not really my target. Finally I decided to stick with my beloved Callaway X-Tours. I was still hitting short-mid irons well but my long irons were not giving me the same consistency.

By accident I found an unused X-18 4-iron (graphite)in a local pro-shop going cheap and bought it as an experiment to replace my (steel shafted) 4-iron (the longest iron in my bag). A no-brainer, the X-18 is one of the the easiest-to-hit long irons ever made on our planet earth. At address the big head boosts confidence, the graphite shaft gives a nice soft feel and bonus 3-5 meters with a medium/easy swing helps bridge the distance/forgiveness gap to the 3-hybrid. The sweet spot is huge and it goes great even when I 'toe' it slightly (my usual miss). Now I look forward to long par 4's and narrow par-5s where I can actually get to hit the damn thing, unfortunately I only get the chance 2 or 3 times a round.

The X-18 also has a simple head (by current standards) and looks sweet in the bag like a moderately oversized X-Tour giving the set a neat 'custom combo' look:)

Two small negatives: It can hook a little bit if not careful so the X-18 Tour with less offset might be better for those who already draw the ball, and the graphite shaft is a may be a little light for fast swingers but you can always go for steel.

I highly recommend the X-18 long irons with X-Tour short-mid irons. Exactly how you mix the set will be up to the individual but you'll get a great combination.

Never needed, but Callaway's reputation is good.

Too many to name. Owned many different sets by different manufacturers in the late 90's to mid 2000's, stopped after I got the X-tours.

May 13, 2011

Reviewed by: randy ,  Shoots in the 70s

x-18r

Summary:
Good look, good feel, good results. 10 yards longer than any other irons I have ever had. Forgiving, but still able to work the ball.

January 23, 2011

Reviewed by: Bailey ,  Shoots in the 90s

Callaway x18 irons

Summary:
I got these irons about a year ago and I was shooting about 116 then I got these and shot my best game ever a 94 these are truly great clubs love the uniflex I would recommend these to everyone

November 22, 2010

Reviewed by: donyv ,  Shoots in the 70s

callaway x-18 pro series

Summary:
could not be any happier with these.i use to play king cobras then bought 1996 callaway irons and with the offset would tend to push some shots to the right.now my new irons have less offset and hitting very straight.thanks callaway

king cobra,1996 callaway big berthas

June 2, 2010

Reviewed by: ken ,  Shoots in the 70s

callaway x18

Summary:
I love these clubs but I am upgrading to the x forged for better shot control. It is easy to hit shots straight with the x18s but hard to fade or draw. I can do both but it seems too difficult compared to the x forged. The x18s are awesome though and I would recommend it for anyone, even scratch golfers. There is a lot of forgiveness and relatively easy to hit.

na