Cleveland TA2 Irons Review

More Products from Cleveland  >>

May 28, 2012

Reviewed by: J. Parks Hammond ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland TA2

Summary:
During a complete reworking of my swing and game, I bought these used (7.5 of 10 rating) Cleveland TA2 3-PW, Dynamic Gold S400 flex, Cleveland Cord Grips on an Ebay auction for $87 including shipping. I expected difficulty in swing and impact feel, distance lost in the S400 flex and sore hands from the cord grips. My expectations and the expert “golf equipment salesmen” were absolutely wrong. These may very well be my version of Leo Kottke’s “Student Prince.”

Golf is fun again! I’ve played for 52 years. I switched to game improvement heads and regular to senior shaft flexes in my late 50’s. My handicap devolved from single to two digit. Distance stayed the same and accuracy became erratic.

With the Cleveland TA2 set, my accuracy immediately came back; but, the feel was something I had forgotten was possible. Bad miss hits, fly ugly and you feel the vibrations, but slight miss hits fly nearly as far and stay on target.

I can easily work the ball left to right and control it low and high. With focus, I can work it right to left with some control and still control flight height. Most important, from 3-PW, when I focus, these fly online to the target. When I focus and make good flush contact (about 80-90% of the time, so far), I have gained half a club in length and the impact feels like soft butter.

The normal flight trajectory may be slightly lower. I haven’t played enough holes to rate the backspin, but so far they are stopping near where the ball hits with a slight release forward. That is what I prefer and try to achieve. Chipping and pitching performance with all clubs is solid and accurate with no distance control problems.

I highly recommend these clubs to the experienced (decades of play) mid to low handicap players who continue to work to improve and keep their game.

I wish Cleveland was still making them, but they are available on Ebay. I’d wish you luck on your auction, but you may be bidding against me as I buy a back-up set.

MacGregor 1025C with Regular flex Steel shafts
MacGregor 1025C with Senior flex Graphite shafts
Golfsmith custom-made SquareToe Blades Dynamic Gold Stiff flex

May 6, 2012

Reviewed by: Samu ,  Shoots in the 80s

TA2 ironset

Summary:
I've started out with Mizuno TZOID irons, but 9 years ago I bought these TA2 with TT s300 shaft. The feel hitting these clubs provided a lot of good feed back and felt very buttery. I was longer, but I believe it was the shaft matched with my swing speed (92 MPH 6 iron).

I switched to a set of Callaway x forged 2007 ironset after an accident for a lighter and softer shaft (sl light r300). Now that I have my swing and strength back, I have found even more feel and control with the set. I find I can hit the 4 iron very reliably now 192 yards, and work the direction without much effort. My pw goes about 124 yards but the loft is 46 degrees.

I have to say much of the feel is the heavier s300 shaft and the heavier heads. I played a friends Taylormade Rac CB TP forged but it felt too light or less solid. I believe my grip pressure and my slow loading of the irons gives me the best feel with this setup. The irons feel like your able to strike with the force of a MB iron but with forgiveness on off centre hits. Hit it a little thin and you hands will tell you right away. The 8625 carbon steel is pretty good relative to 1025 carbon steel.

The is the standard now when I look for a set as the pw is worn. Anyone with a fresh set out there :)

na

Tzoid, Rac CB TP, x Forged 2007 extensively (good clubs btw)

November 18, 2011

Reviewed by: Out the Screws ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland TA2 Irons

Summary:
These are wonderful irons, tremendous feel, not very forgiving, but look SOOO good...
I bought these cheap on eBay as training irons, the range balls murder your grooves. Because these are harder to hit, my ball sticking has improved massively with my playing clubs on the course. But the short irons are so good they might sneak into my bag..
If your a range monster and want to improve your iron play, grab a set of these babies.

A bit rubbish really... Sent emails but no reply

TM Burner Plus, Ping Zing, Cobra Greg Norman Tour Blades.

July 6, 2010

Reviewed by: MosDogg ,  Shoots in the 70s

Cleveland TA2 irons.

Summary:
I have been golfing for about 14 years now and i have to admit I have played with just about every set of irons there is.
back in the early days my first set of irons were made by PowerBilt and the model was levellume (small heads by todays standards) and they were the blade/MS design, very hard irons to hit for a beginner.
i've played these irons for the first 4 years of my career, to this day i have never found anything that matches the irons i fell in love with years ago till now.
the cleveland TA 2's are what i've been looking for all this time and as i've have stated i've tried them all.
a friend of mine had this set of irons and asked me to try them, well long story short i now own them.
i have replaced the shafts with tru-temper dynamic gold (steel), the club builder was somewhat supprized he didn't know why i spent so much on an old set of irons.
well all i had to do was show him my handicap index after about 3 weeks using these irons, broke 70 three times in as many weeks not bad.
these irons are very accurate, the control of a blade is outstanding, the irons have the stability of a cavity back not to hard or soft all built into one iron, the distance is outragious i'm 12 yards longer than my old set of irons (taylormade supersteel).
working the ball is alittle harder than i expected the ball wants to go straight if it does draw/fade its only 3 or 4 feet from center not much.
the cleveland company has won this golfers heart and soul, i think that i may try some of the other irons but for now TA 2's got me.
anyone know where i can get a newer set of TA 2's?.
well people, old farts like me need alittle help distance wise, these irons will do just that for you so, get out there and demo a set i think you'll be just as happy.

none,

everything from clone to ping and in between.

October 19, 2009

Reviewed by: bumkin11 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Summary:
I just bought a set of cleveland Ta2 irons and I haven't played these clubs on the course yet but I have hit a couple of buckets and they are very pure, I had a set of ben hogan cavity backs and I hit them so high now with these I have a nice low piercing ball flight. I got them from the roger dunn in santa ana for 99 dollars after my trade in.

If anyone lives in southern california and needs golf equipment roger dunn in santa ana is the place to go they have everything I'm left handed and they have a decent selection but right handed is unlimited with great prices on used clubs and are willing to work with you on the price.