Cleveland TA5 Irons Review

More Products from Cleveland  >>

February 23, 2013

Reviewed by: Danny ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland TA5

Summary:
I got these clubs in 2011 from my dad who got them from my grandpa in 2002, so they've really been used. i am 14 and shoot 85 averagely although my best score is only 79. These clubs are very good, especially for their age. they feel good when you hit the sweet spot but if you miss, you can feel it. i can hit the 7 iron about 160 yards on average. I previously had callaway irons and loved them but i play the cleveland better. thanks to these clubs i will be sticking to cleveland for a while if not forever. I will hopefully be upgrading to cleveland cg red's soon because they are very similar to the TA5's but with better technology and haven't been used to death. these clubs are recommended to anyone who wants solid long lasting irons.

Great Clubs

None

May 17, 2010

Reviewed by: Carl vHS ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland TA5 Gunmetal

Summary:
I bought these clubs in 2001 from my first paycheck. Back in those days they cost a lot of money in the Netherlands, but I thought the black club heads were pretty cool and different than usual.
I did also hit a few balls on the range and immediately loved them.
Ever since I have not even tried any other clubs and still absolutely adore them.
As soon as the season starts (I don't practice much during winter) I can hit these clubs as easy as at the end of the previous season.
Just as others have explained the distance is amazing, no difficulties in reaching the green from 180 meters with my 4 iron. I barely need to use the 3 iron.
One negative thing is that I play with a draw and find it pretty hard to hit a fade, but that could be my technique.

I take reasonably good care of them, but they still look perfect.

All in all, I do not think I will be changing this set soon.

No experience with them. None needed.

Used to play some lovely Daiwa DG-9101 tourblades when I was a lot younger and to be honest still have the SW in my bag.

January 18, 2010

Reviewed by: Ken Pleiss ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland TA5 Gunmetal Irons

Summary:
Best overall set of irons I've ever owned. I've played with numerous differnt lines over the last 20+ years, but the Clevelands are absolutely the best I've ever played with.
The TA5's are very similar to the Ping Eye 2's, just a little more refined. I've been playing with these irons for the past 5 years, and love them so much that I purchased two more sets as backups.
These irons are very easy to hit, are forgiving, and very accurate. The black gunmetal with the white lettering, also makes them the best looking irons I've ever seen.
Bottom line folks, there's only so much clubmakers can do with irons. Perimeter weighting can only do so much, regardless of the clubmaker. Trust me. With today's computer designed clubs, they've pretty much have done all they can do with improving ball flight. The golfer has to eventually take charge of his/her swing.
I really don't think there's a superior iron design out there. So, why not get something that doesn't look like it came from outer space? The TA5's have simple classic look to them, and definetly get the job done.

I've tried the majority of the main line brands. Still own a set of Ping eye 2's. Callway's X-12's are similar in design too.

October 2, 2009

Reviewed by: Ricky Camacho ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ta5 Cleveland Tour Action

Summary:
My set was given to me,but I started using the club and we got along together. I like balance,face,grooves are also okay. It's an old model but can be compared to the new models of any brand.

I have not get in touch with our customer service yet,and i hope not. hahaha....

Ben Hogan Apex plus,Ping Karsten Velirium copper

June 5, 2009

Reviewed by: EDWARD J BROWN ,  Shoots in the 80s

CLEVELAND TA5 GUN METAL

Summary:
START AT A 19 HANDICAP. BOUGHT THE CLEVELAND TA5 GUN METAL IRONS AND IN THE SAME SEASON MY HANDICAP HAS DROPED TO A 10. GREAT CLUBS CLEVELAND. THANKS.