Cobra S2 Irons Review

Cobra S2

These are the latest irons from cobra to come out on the market. The new multi-material Cobra S2 Irons offer improved accuracy, distance and forgiveness in a high-performance package.

More Products from Cobra  >>

Web Address
Information Added By

In The Hole Golf

Callaway Golf

October 6, 2012

Reviewed by: Pky6471 ,  Shoots in the 90s

Cobra S2

Summary:
First of... I shoot in the 85-95 range . Been playing Mizuno MX-23 forged iron for some time. Bought Cobra S2 on eBay and could not be more pleased. Both 5i are 38", S2 has 25* loft as standard specs, MX-23 is 26* lofted head which has been bent to 24*. No doubt that S2 has PLENTY of height, higher than that of MX-23 and yet distance is at least as long, if not 5-10 yds longer. What also impressed me is that S2 also has a buttery soft feel which is close to MX-23 forged iron, that's a plus... Definitely a strong recommendation

Never use, don't know

Mizuno MX-23, MX-25, Cally X-16, BB 2002, King Cobra Oversize II hump shaft

September 16, 2011

Reviewed by: Sammy ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra S2

Summary:
By far the best set of irons I have ever hit. Long, high, stopping spin, and straight. My handicap prior to these irons was a 13. The course I play is very tight and narrow and many elevation changes. I have now played 8 rounds so far and of the 8 rounds the highest round has been an 84, and shot back to back rounds of 79 and 75. Only thing I did was change the grips as I prefer a half cord grip. Confidence with these irons is unmatched. Worth every dollar I paid for them.

TaylorMade Rac, Cleveland CG Red and Gold, Callaway X20.

October 10, 2010

Reviewed by: Kellfire ,  Shoots in the 80s

S2 Max

Summary:
The first thing that I noticed is how the club is set up to look very forgiving, which is exactly what I was looking for as I struggled with consistency with my previous, older generation irons. The forgiveness doesn't lead to the club looking overly bulking at address and I actually find them quite attractive to look down on.

The iron set I got was 5i-SW and in hindsight I would maybe have preferred the 4i in addition as I am quite confident with my longer irons. There is the option to supplement the irons with hybrids in the long irons.

These clubs are strongly lofted so distance should never be an issue though the ball flight is very high and this make work against you if playing into the wind. Off the face, it is as you'd expect from a Super Game Improvement iron with very little feedback even from perfectly hit shots but that isn't why these clubs exist. Workability is minimal but I have been able to perform some very slight draws and fades, relative to my ability.

One issue is the sand wedge, I find it very inconsistent. The large design makes it hard to maintain consistency with such a short iron but this is really a minor thing and again those using these sorts of clubs probably won't notice this much.

Overall I would highly recommend these clubs; they took me from fats and thins to hitting much more consistently, dropping my handicap from a full 28 and 18 by the end of this year. I was finally getting the ball airbourne consistently and with good distance range. The clubs are attractive at address and feel well made in your hands.

Ping Eye2+, Wilson Di7

October 10, 2010

Reviewed by: Marc ,  Shoots in the 80s

S2 Max

Ping Eye2+, Wilson Di7

August 11, 2010

Reviewed by: cdnlefty ,  Shoots in the 80s

cobra s2 max irons

Summary:
These clubs are great. Huge sweet spot , high penetrating launch even with the lower loft angles. Club glides through the turf and slices through the rough. I broke 40 on nine holes for the first time( shot a 37 on the back nine of my home course ) using these. Why cobra is not more popular is beyond me. They make great sticks for mid to high handi cappers.

Not used