Cobra S9 Irons Review

Cobra S9 Irons

We can’t say it enough: These are the most technologically advanced, most forgiving irons Cobra has ever made. Featuring their new game-changing, multi-material iron technology, the S9 Irons have higher inertia qualities and an extremely low and back Center of Gravity (CG) for high launch, greater distance and more accuracy. The multi-material technology includes a wide sole, polymer topline and urethane insert for softer feel. To sum it up, these irons are a huge advancement in advancing your game.

* Wide Sole, Low Profile, Undercut Cavity - Extreme low, back CG and high MOI for high launch, greater distance and maximum forgiveness.
* Polymer Topline - Extreme low, back CG and vibration dampening.
* Back Cavity Plate, Urethane Insert - Vibration dampening, softer feel.
* Premium Graphite Design Ys - 5.1 or Nippon N.S. Pro Shafts - Higher launch, greater control and accuracy.

More Products from Cobra  >>

Callaway Golf

February 28, 2013

Reviewed by: Terry Bell ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra S9

Summary:
After reading all the positive and glowing reports on these irons, I purchased a set off E Bay for around $400.00, what a letdown! Tinny, awful feeling irons. Oh, and they don't go very far either, not nearly as forgiving or long as my old Cleveland TA5's, both with R shafts in graphite.

Lately I've considered buying another set of Cobra's, the S3 hybrid set, but the S9's stick in my mind and I don't think I'm going to be able to purchase them, pay a bit more and buy Taylormades new Rocketbladz irons I think.

Never called.

Cleveland TA 5, Ping G10, Adams hybrid set

July 24, 2012

Reviewed by: RR Matthews ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra S9 w/ graphite shafts

Summary:
Right away I noticed distance by about 10 yards on all clubs. I also noticed no sting in hands on any shots. You can shape shots like the high draw if you have the talent to do so. This is a easy swinging , light to increase swing speed and good hitting iron. I am not sure you can improve this with all the models that come out each year. They are getting like cars, trying to change something to call it new to drive sales. I say leave this one alone and reproduce it for seniors or anyone who is losing muscle mass due to aging and that can be after 40. It has taught me that I will select grapite shafts again, in regular with a cavity back club like the s9 . Plenty of these still out there for sale , like ebaby, amazon, or golfsmith. Hoep you try these, you want be sorry and you can pick up a set for less than 300.
carolina golfer.

May 1, 2012

Reviewed by: Mully ,  Shoots in the 80s

cobra s9

Summary:
im a decent hacker on a budget. with that said, i bought the set used on ebay when i was in college, and started golfing on my off days. these clubs were good. the distance on off center hits (which were very common) were good. i found i got a lot of spin from the lower irons, and were able to get the ball in the air with the longer irons with ease. since buying a set of cg16 irons from a demo day and getting fitted, i highly recommend going that route. but, if you were like me, who is upgrading your big 5 brand clubs, i highly recommend these. then when you get good enough, go get fitted and itll help you out a ton. i went from shooting high 80's low 90's to low 80's consistently, even breaking it a few times.

August 23, 2010

Reviewed by: Barmeym ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra S9

Summary:
I have owned these irons, 5 - SW ns pro r shafts, for the last 4 years. I was just 13 at the time and were just perfect for me as I was just starting to play some proper scoring golf.
These irons just like to have a medium to high draw all day long. However you hit them, be it off the grass like a fairway wood or a decent divot, this is the shape that you will get.
Bad miss hits will tend to lose this shale but still go the correct distance, this is where I believe the perceived "forgiveness" comes in. The distances are all fairly similar, as opposed to blades which a miss hit will cost you on distance.
As I have mentioned these irons were great for starting off however, as my ball striking has improved I have looked for something with a more traditional shape and feel. I personally now find the address view on the 5 iron uninspiring with its large offset and shallow but long face. In my latter days with these irons I began to develop a large draw with the longer irons that was more of a hinderance. I have very recently bought a set of titleist 695cb's and am playing my best golf ever, shot a 76 the other day, and would highly recommend to anyone wanting to improve regardless of handicap.
In conclusion I believe that these are a fantastic set for anyone who is just starting out or for whom ball striking with irons is not a strong point as they get the ball up in the air and are fairly confidence inspiring. However for anyone wanting to move on to the next stage I would recommend a set of more traditional irons such as the mp-57's etc

Not used

Cobra FP - not as easy to hit but not very controllable either :(
TM RAC TP - very nice forged cavity iron, nice ballflight :)
Titleist 695CB - lovely :) :)
Mizuno MP-67 - not as hard as expected to hit, nice feel

July 27, 2010

Reviewed by: Jason ,  Shoots in the 70s

Cobra S-9 Irons

Summary:
These are the best set of irons that I have ever had. I had the Cobra SSi Irons before I bought these. I didn't like the shafts or grips, so I upgraded to graphite shafts and golfpride grips. My distance has increased by an average of 20 yards per club. I have and always will be a Cobra Golfer for life! Great equipment and will always stack up to the Taylor Mades, Calloways, Titleists, and Nikes of the industry.