Cobra SS-i Oversized Irons Review

More Products from Cobra  >>

May 24, 2013

Reviewed by: B ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra SSi Irons

Summary:
I started out over a decade ago with an old set of low budget irons. I occasionaly bought a club here and a club there (irons) and got a feel for numerous different clubs from various manufacturers. My last set was an older set of KC oversize II irons. Loved them but I have always had problems hitting any iron from about a 6 iron up. Not so with these SSi irons. I reluctantly sold the oversize 2 irons, (PW through 7 was excellent and very accurate), reshafted my SSi's to graphite and I am done looking!! These despite their age will remain in my bag for a long time. They have a great feel and give me confidence, even with the 4 iron. I am convinced that Cobra is the King of developing game improvement clubs for weekend golfers like me, and nearly every club in my bag now is Cobra. I have a couple Cobra FP irons and have wanted a set of them for a long time, but I am so satisfied with the SSi's that I dont care anymore, I think they are very close to being the same club as FP's save appearances.

Dunno.. Dont care. Used Cobras are affordable and can run with the best.

Nike, Callaway, Ping, Orlimar, and various off brands. King Cobra rocks!

August 11, 2012

Reviewed by: Tom ,  Shoots in the 80s

cobra ss-i

Summary:
I've tried different irons but I strongly recommend these! They are versatile,precise and fit hi-cappers,as well as skilled golfers.
Very solid clubs , with a great feeling indeed.

August 4, 2012

Reviewed by: achase ,  Shoots in the 100s

cobra ssi irons

Summary:
I also bought these clubs in the early 2000s; was trying several different sets at the time, but seemed to hit these the best. I bent my PW and my wife sent the club back to Cobra, and they made it as good as new...these clubs are durable and it will be hard to think about buying another set of irons.

July 9, 2010

Reviewed by: Jim ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra SSi Irons

Summary:
I purchased these new back in 2003 and still have and play them. I was fitted for them and cannot believe how they improved my game. I consistently have maintained a 9 to 10 handicap with them and shot an all time low of 74 about 3 months ago. They have signs of wear and tear and I have little doubt that soon enough I am going to have to trade them in, sell them, or simply replace them, but for now I am hitting them with power, consistency, and distance.
These irons, for early oversized, give a lot of feedback. They were made in the same Acushnet factory where Titleist irons are made and the quality is obvious. The fact that 7 years after I bought them they are still going strong speaks volumes about their durability and construction.
These clubs are not "playable"; in other words don't buy these if you work the ball. Better golfers could not possibly gain anything from such "game improvement irons". (which is what I am thinking about moving up to in order to take my game to the next level.
The sum of these clubs is simple; I am pushing 50 and can hit my 7 iron about 155 with a nice draw. I hit my 3 about 200 so the spread is fairly even at about 5 to 10 yards difference per.
If you are a fairly new golfer and are looking for some clubs that might improve your game, look for some of these used online. For under $100 you can get yourself one heck of a set of irons!

My 6 iron came apart about 5 months after I took delivery. Cobra repaired the iron and brought it back to like-new condition.

I tested every brand on the market at the time. In the end it was between these and the Callaway. These were under half the cost at the time.

January 5, 2010

Reviewed by: pmgolf ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cobra SSi-OS Irons

Summary:
Played with graphite shaft SSi's and steel shaft SSi's. The extra weight of the steel helps make my swing more consistent. Great clubhead, big sweetspot. Higher flight than many other irons. Very forgiving and easy to hit. Big sweetspot! I hit straight shots, so I can't speak to working the ball. I have never had trouble with a head coming off. Great clubs!

Callaway X-20