MacGregor Forged PCB Tour Irons Review

More Products from MacGregor  >>

February 22, 2014

Reviewed by: Pete Ponta ,  Shoots in the 90s

MacGregor PCB Tour irons

Summary:
I have 4 sets of tour series PCB irons-

Don't be too concerned with numbering on the ferrules-as these originals were often
built with very stiff shafts-S300 and higher.

Those re-shafted with regular shafts are best- such as the 5.0 and 4.5 Rifle. The
qualified golf shop installing- and new ferrules used.

No shortage of quality forged cavities to choose from, to include the old Peerless Classic 88's.

These Macgregors however, ideal for an aging player or mid-amateur properly combined with the correct shaft.

Peerless Classic 88, Tommy Armour 845 V25

April 29, 2008

Reviewed by: dansicle ,  Shoots in the 80s

pcb tour

Summary:
Quality, craftsmanship and confidence are the words that come to mind when I hold these irons. I know what to expect, consistent ball flight. I am a low 80's player looking to take the next step and dip into the 70s on a regular basis. A friend, the best golfer I play with, plays with beat up Miura blades and plays a simple yet consistent game. A game designed not on the "wow" factor of equipment and glitz but on simple expectations. Like hitting 175 yd 7 iron... and doing it over and over again.
These irons are confidence inspiring and rewarding clubs.
I don't find them very offset at all, and I have played with non offset clubs for years. (their sister clubs the "non tour" pcb version are significantly offset).
Forged by miura... these are some of the most affordable highest quality irons available for somebody who wants to take the next step in getting a better game.
They are much more forgiving than a blade but you do not lose feel of the club like some giant oversize cast irons. The short irons are particularly rewarding as i am starting to dial them in.

I have used numerous irons over the years.
Most recently
Ping Zing II,
Tourstage z101 (also great clubs)
Macgregor m685

August 30, 2007

Reviewed by: MCS ,  Shoots in the 80s

Macgregor forged PCB

Summary:
This is club is good, but only thing that drove me away from it is the offset. I just couldn't get over how much offset the clubs had. I had to intentionally open up the club face to hit a draw. Or I had to put the ball back in the stance which also produced a low draw.

October 28, 2006

Reviewed by: Iggy ,  Shoots in the 80s

PCB Tours

Summary:
I've tried most forged cavity backs out there and have not come across anything close to how these perform specially if you have them set up properly. I like the rounded toe look and how they "borrow" much from the JNP design, which is another favorite. Extremely underrated but they do deserve a look. IMO, they are still one of the best forgings out there, feel, performance & workmanship. Macgregor still has it.

Very good.

TM300, Cleveland FF TA-3, TM X300 FCI

May 10, 2006

Reviewed by: haydenwark ,  Shoots in the 70s

PCB Tour

Summary:
I am 25, I shoot almost every round below 80, and I was looking for a iron set that wasn't quite a blade and wasn't this overgrown HUGE clubhead that seems to be the model for every club made today. I needed a club that preformed like a blade but had a little forgivness as I do tend to hit thin every now and agian (thats my miss).

Man did I find it in these, I picked them up from a relative who is a scratch and he put new True Temper 300 shafts and golf pride grips on them. I took them to the range and could not begin to tell you how sweet they feel. Draws, fades, knock downs, flyers, soft hits, and bullets where all easy to pull off.

None needed

None these are better than any other similar product