MacGregor PCB Irons Review

MacGregor PCB

More Products from MacGregor  >>

July 22, 2003

Reviewed by: Ben Robertson ,  Shoots in the 100s , from Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada

PCB Irons

Summary:
Oh, boy, these are stunning irons! I've been playing with MacGregor Tourney MT irons for about three years and really liked them, but the PCBs are a whole level above. Gorgeous to look at, very tasteful design, and incredibly sweet to hit. Balance is wonderful, and a solid hit is a joy. My handicap is starting to go down, shot an all-time record low of 84 two weeks ago and then an 82 yesterday.

No experience

MacGregor Tourney MT, Titleist DCI, Macgregor JNP, Hogan Apex

October 20, 2001

Reviewed by: Paul ,  Shoots in the 70s

Summary:
Absolutely amazing irons. Great trajectory, distance, control, everything is awesome with these irons. They feel great and are very forgiving yet they still look really classy, unlike many other sets of irons in the same category. I can't say enough good things about these irons but I think the most important is the confidence they give me on every shot. The best irons I've tried so far, A+++ all the way.

RAM, Hogan, Taylor Made Firesole

August 23, 2001

Reviewed by: John Kearney ,  Shoots in the 80s , from New York, NY

MacGregor PCB Tourney

Summary:
There's no question about it, these irons are beautiful. They feel like the real deal. I must admit, though, that there was a break-in period after I switched from cast clubs designed for forgiveness. For one, I seemed to fade the ball a lot more and also mis-hits really felt weird. MacGregor says these clubs may measure at a flatter lie angle and shorter length if you use 'conventional' measuring techniques with the grooves aimed parallel to the ground. They say they grind the grooves slightly rotated to make up for an optical illusion caused by the sole. I'm not sure if this is faking me out or what. I also bought them with the stiff shafts ('cause they were so cheap off of EBay brand new) but would probably prefer the regular flex shaft since distance has not been gained over my old clubs despite the jacked lofts. I love the way the ball lands, and I think the forging process helps here. These clubs also look really classy. I'm thinking of increasing lie angle 1 degree upright and lengthening the shaft a half inch though. Everyone should try these clubs....

Not used

None

August 5, 2001

Reviewed by: Jeff ,  Shoot in the 90s , from Tampa,Fl

MacGregor PCB

Summary:
These irons have performed beyond my expectations.Great feel at impact and increased distance.I would highly recommend these irons.

T and D Golf is a great local dealer in the Tampa area.

Cleveland VAS,Dunlop,Honors

June 18, 2001

Reviewed by: Michael Slipy ,  Shoot in the 80s , from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Macgregor PCB tour

Summary:
This is the second set of irons I have ever owned, having traded in my Tommy Armour 855s. Before purchasing, I tested the Ping I3's and the Titlest 990s. I finally settled on the Macgregor PCB tour clubs, mainly because of their classic look and design. I just love the way they set up to the ball. They truly are beautiful clubs to look at and play. The size of the head is perfect, as is the weight. The club is very good at digging out bad lies and it is much more forgiving than I thought it would be on mishits. I can work it both ways (unlike the I3's) and they hit it a little higher than the 990's, which was appealing to me. A center hit provides a very satisfying feedback, and a beautiful ball trajectory.

None