Mizuno MP-67 Irons Review

Mizuno MP-67

Continuing the award winning success of Cut MuscleTM technology, the Mizuno product development team has developed a new muscle back iron featuring an innovative "Slender" Cut Muscle design. This new Slender Cut MuscleTM allows the player complete ball control by pin-pointing the COG inside the muscle back design. Utilizing our Grain Flow Forging® and Cut MuscleTM technology, the design team was able to provide a neutral COG relative to the shaft axis and a consistent sweet spot location for exact trajectory and distance control. The cambered sole of the MP-67TM allows the player precise shot making capability from all types of lies. The MP-67TM long irons achieve a mid-high trajectory, while the scoring irons deliver a mid trajectory.

The MP-67TM offers unmatched ball control by utilizing a new "Slender" Cut MuscleTM Design to precisely position the COG from iron to iron.

Features
Innovative Muscle Back with "Slender" Cut Muscle™ design provides ideal COG locations, perfect trajectory, enhanced solid feel, and the ultimate in ball control.
NEW Grain Flow Forged®, 1025E Pure Select mild carbon steel provides the ultimate soft, solid, consistent feel.
Durable Double nickel chrome plated finish.
Modified U-grooves produce the ideal spin rate for maximum playability in all conditions.
Rolled leading edge, cambered mid-sole, and rolled trailing edge deliver consistent striking ability from all types of lies.

More Products from Mizuno  >>

October 13, 2014

Reviewed by: josdav ,  Shoots in the 70s

MP-67

Summary:
I've read many reviews stating "requires consistent swing". My first set was the Hogan Apex II and it has made it impossible for me to hit a Cavity better than a blade. There was a time when all clubs were like the MP 67. Remember the Wilson FG 17's or the Palmer Standard irons or the Titleist Tour model blades to name a few. Let me state first that these clubs are not short. I'll say again, they are not short! I have a theory as to why most reviews claim they play one club short. I will say that I experienced no distance loss at all. L HAVE lost about 6-8 MPH on my driver in the last ten years ( down to 117 ) the irons I hit the same distance as ever though I don't know why. I played this set for the first time on Sunday October 12, 2014. Very first hole was a par 3 GPS said 164 to the middle flag was about 7 yards past the middle. I hit the 8 iron. High soaring shot with a small draw. Ended 21 feet right of the hole. The next par 3 193 to the middle. Flag was between front and middle. I hit the 6 to the back of the green! I couldn't believe it. My current set was a special order from ping. PW was a Ping
Tour 47, the 7,8 and 9 the S56 and 3,4 and five are the i20. They were ordered that way have the non-flighted Rifle 6.5 shafts. I played an extra nine I was so excited to be hitting the ball so straight with no loss in distance. I was able to hit high shots with spin. Low runners and the 9 and PW have such a nice feel to them for those little bumps shot around the green. In 27 holes I missed 2 greens when hitting these irons. The clubs came with the S400 DG which In 42 years of golf I'd never before played. It is a good firm heavy shaft. A hefty feel, more so than the DG X100 which I've had in 2 different sets, the 2012 Nike Victory Red blades and the KZG forged blades. I grew up playing golf in NW Texas and it is very, very windy here. I developed a Mid Trajectory ball flight. Not low, but mid. Every thing out there for the big hitter brings the ball down turning me into a low ball hitter. This is why Rifle 6.5 worked so much better than DG X100's. The blade design works and it seems like a throw back. I'm sure the shaft had a significant role in how I striked the ball. The feel in the irons was a nice pleasant thud. Not as soft as all the reviews I've read but certainly a very pure feel. Of course they are much softer and offer more feedback than my Pings. I have played with quite a few good players and even a few that can blow the ball by me, Have you ever hit a drive 350+ and hit first on your second? I've always thought that a guy that can hit a 7 iron 180+ has by virtue of his swing speed, created a bigger sweet spot in his irons. Let's say the sweet spot on the 67's is dime sized. If someone with a 95 mph swing speed on a 5 iron deviates just outside that dime, they are still swinging that club 95 mph! It's still gonna get out there. The distance loss will be much, much less with such a strong swing. Conversely, the distance loss will increase exponentially and dramatically with a much slower and less powerful swing. For example 70 mph with a 5 iron. Someone hitting outside that dime sized edge on the club face will suffer a much greater distance loss as a percentage than the faster and stronger swinger.

I got these off Craigslist.

Hogan Apex, Adams A12 pro blades, Nike Victory Red. Mizuno T-Zoid, MP 32,33, 11, 14 and several others.

October 5, 2011

Reviewed by: JohnnyApple ,  Shoots in the 80s

MP67 Dynamic Gold (Regular)

Summary:
I find these irons to be classic in blade design. The feel at impact when struck pure, is a golfer's dream. That "Bagger Vance" feel after impact, the music in the back of the mind, in a moment of time in which, the world stands still as the only focus is the ball flight...yes, its that niiiice.

This set of irons does require a consistent swing. Slop mechanics will just find these irons to be very unforgiving.

Although, these irons are not game improvement by design, by disciplining my swing to stay within my own consistency, these irons perform wonderfully.

These irons are soooo easy to draw it just seems natural.

The PW is truly a short gamers green side gem.

I am impressed with the durability of the face of these irons. I mean, I do keep the grooves clean after every shot and it has paid off in dividends.

Mizuno made these irons right...

Mizuno Gold
Yonex Tour
Callaway S2H2

April 30, 2011

Reviewed by: Oakland ,  Shoots in the 80s

mizuno mp67 irons

Summary:
I play a Mizuno mp32 after a spell with some Callaways and Hogan Apexs b4 that. I loved the MP32's, but they were pretty worn. The MP67 is similar but not quite as forgiving as the MP32. However, I like the sweet spot feel better on the MP67. I tend to hit the MP67 higher than the MP32, but I think that is mostly reflecting a shaft change that I did. I wanted to slow down my swing tempo. It has been a nice transition since I play a fair amount in the wind, I use the stiff shafted MP32s, and when sunny and nice out, I use the regular shafted MP67s. A nice luxury I do admit. The look at address of either Mizunos is dreamy. They are awesome looking clubs. (Only a MB Mizuno, Vega, TM or Titleist looks as cool.) The heads on the long irons would appear small for a GI person, but they are perfect for a blade guy. Great tactile response, as always with Mizuno forgings. Soft feel indeed. I tend to believe that you do have to have a consistent swing and be a decent ball striker to appreciate these forgings. If you aren't hitting the sweet spot, you really are going to pay a price with these blades, generally. However, if you put in the time and have a decent swing to begin with, then you can appreciate what all the shouting is about. They are about as long as my Hogans. The faces are not hot at all, so you should expect some distance loss if you have used any of the many GI irons available. There is very little if any offset to these irons, so don't expect the long irons to be offset.

dont know

hogan apex pc
hogan apex redlines
mizuno ms801
mizuno mp32

April 20, 2011

Reviewed by: DaymonJ11 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Mizuno MP-67

Summary:
There's a HUGE misnomer about what players should play what irons. High handicappers should steer away from blades, good players should only play blades....blah blah blah.

I believe that a player should play what he's most comfortable with, for me, that's a blade. I cannot stand the chunky/bulky look for typical GI irons. They're just tough to hit true for me.

I was playing a set of Cleveland CG1's and I really liked them, however, I picked these up straight across at Golfsmith for a set of Nike VR Full Cavity irons I had, so, it was an even swap proposition for me, nothing to lose.

I took these to the range (grass) 3 days after I got them, put some swings on them and started to try and dial them in, and I'll tell you, these may be the smoothest irons I've ever hit.

Great sound at impact, great feel, consistent (even on mis-hits) and overall just a pleasure to play.

Many have mentioned a club lost, for me though, it's almost identical to my CG1's, I think it depends on the swing you put on the ball. Side by side, it's virtually the same.

The biggest compliment I can pay to these clubs, is that since they were basically free, I didn't have to like them as I had no monetary commitment there to like them. But, these are my favorite clubs ever now.

My gamers are...I mean were....CG1's. These have firmly replaced them, and hitting them side by side with several other irons (Taylor Made R9 B's, Titleist 680 mb, Titleist MB710, Callaway Diablo's, Ping s56 and Callaway Razr's) these performed better and more true than ANY of them....Wilson FG Tour aside.

I love them. They're cheap, and if you can find a pair, give them a go, and see what they can do for you. They're a solid club!

Titleist MB710, AP2, 690MB, 695, 680 and 681, Cleveland CG1, CG1 Tour, Wilson FG forged, FG-62, Ping S56, 57 among others.

September 8, 2010

Reviewed by: Sarah ,  Shoots in the 80s

Summary:
If you are a low handicapper you will find that the Mizuno MP-67 irons give you consistent distance, lots of spin and shot shaping control. Another reason why these irons are meant for single-figure handicappers is that they are blades with a small sweet spot. This means that the player must have good swings consistently. At a retail value of $1,000, the MP-67s are not the most inexpensive irons. I bought it at an online golf shop golfshoppingshop.com as wholesale price. A more experienced player may want to invest in these irons for that price.

With such a responsive feel, these Mizunos will help improve your game considering that you can stay on the green with a good swing. If you are new to the game, you may want to consider another Iron, but if your swing is decent the MP-67 can really help your game.

MP57