Nike SQ Sumo Irons Review

Nike SQ Sumo

• Long blade length, wide sole
  • Extreme perimeter-weighted club
  • Center of gravity
  • TPU Insert

More Products from Nike  >>

April 6, 2012

Reviewed by: Phey Hoyman ,  Shoots in the 80s

Nike SQ Sumo

Summary:
I bought these clubs after 4 of my dunlop t-lines broke. I typically golfed in the 90s but was having some serious distance issues with the dunlops. I reviewed numerous iron sets and figured out that these guys in a stiff/steel shaft would be perfect. (the dunlops were mid-flex/graphite)

I had decent expectations for these clubs and even ordered the 3 iron and SW to complete the set. All that I can say is, these clubs are fantastic for a mid-high handicapper. I have played these clubs for 3 years now and can say that these balls will go far and go high. They lack feel, especially the wedges, but are fantastic for overall solid contact.

The only negative that I can say about these clubs are with the wedges. It is hard to gauge power for the 70-40 yard shot with these clubs as opposed to other wedges. These are very easy to hit still, but you may be short/long. Also, these clubs do go straight, so if you feel you are hitting to the right or left, it is something you are doing, it is not the club.

So overall, if you are looking for a great game improvement set of irons, then gives these guys a try, you will not regret it.

Did not use customer service.

Taylormade, Callaway, Ping

November 9, 2009

Reviewed by: superkev ,  Shoots in the 80s

nike sumo irons steel

Summary:
These are simply brilliant!!

second round with them hit 46 points of sableford and i am a 15 handicapper. or was a 15 handicapper now off 12 and it is down to these irons.
They are so easy to hit, just aim and a nice steady swing and these irons hit high and straight at the target with a soft landing, if you really try to wack them then expect 20 yards on top of what you used to hit and tthe forgivness in them is brilliant, feels like your cheating because of centre hits go a mile and usually straight.

DO yourself a favour and buy these clubs

not used

none

August 9, 2009

Reviewed by: Dominick ,  Shoots in the 90s

Nike Sumo Irons

Summary:
Great clubs at a great price. took my score from well over a hundred to the low 90's in 2 rounds with them. the flight of the ball off the clubs makes me look better then i really am. if you are new to golf or just getting back into it pick this set up.

king cobras

June 12, 2009

Reviewed by: NANCY CRAME ,  Shoots in the 70s

nike sumo irons

Summary:
THESE CLUBS ARE UGLY AS HECK AND I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THESE CLUBS TO ANYONE EXCEPT MY GRANDMA. TO BE BRUTALLY HONEST, THESE CLUBS PERFORM AS THEY LOOK. IF ANY OF YOU ARE THINKING OF BUYING THESE CLUBS, PLEASE RETHINK AND BUY THE LYNX BIG CATS. THESE CLUBS ARE DOPE!!!! I LOVE THE SUMOS! I WOULD TOTALLY BUY THESE IRONS. PLEASE IMPROVE YOUR SCORE WITH THE SUMOS.

LYNX BIG CATS, CALLAWAY FTI-BIRDS, MIZUNO MP, NIKE BLADES, TAYLORMADE BURNER, CALLAWAY DIABLO

February 16, 2009

Reviewed by: geoffcin ,  Shoots in the 100s

Nike Sumo Combo Irons

Summary:
I've only been playing for a little over a year now. When I started I didn't want to invest too much so I picked up a used set of Knight Golf irons. They were OK for what they were but I never could hit them with any consistency, especially the long irons. I finally broke down and bough a couple of near-new 3&5 Adams hybrids. Those were much easier to hit so I would almost always turn to them rather than the longer irons. Finally on one of the last rounds I played last year I was in a spot on a par 3 where the 3 hybrid was too long, and the 5 hybrid too short. I pulled out my 4 iron and hit it pure only to snap off the shaft! That was the last straw for me, time for a new set of irons! I wanted a complete set rater than my mixed up amalgam of motely clubs. I did a lot of research on a good combo set, but my eyes finally landed on the Nike Sumo Combo Irons. They really were designed with a player like me in mind. The set goes from 4 down to 7 as Hybrids, and the 8-GW (now called attack wedge} as irons. I've also purchased a 2 hybrid to use as a driving iron. Last weekend I got to play them for the first time and it was apparent that I had made the right choice. I've never had my shots fly so true! Constancy was always a problem for me, especially with the longer clubs, but I had at least 6 shots with the 2 Hybrid that flew straight and true with a consistent 185 yards every time. The ball flight is high and seems to hang in the sky forever! the longest true iron is the 8, and it has turned out to be my favorite club. I hit it at least 10 times and almost exactly 130 yards each time. The ball fight it towering with this club and it comes down soft and stays put. I hit several greens in regulation with this club and each time the ball stopped within a couple feet of where it landed. Another great thing, and one I DIDN'T expect is the nice sound off of the club face. If you hit it pure it lets you know with a distinctive "tink". My playing partner (a 6 handicapper) even commented on how nice the sound was. What the club doesn't do is let you know in the hands when you've mis-struck the ball. The nice "tink" is gone on a mis-hit, but the ball STILL flies true, and even goes about as far. As silly as it sounds, the sweet spot ("tink" spot) is about as large as a regular (non-game improvement) iron, but the OK spot is nearly the entire face of the club. You can add to that the fact that there's no buzz from these clubs whatsoever! Really, I don't have hard hands but I could have played the whole round without a glove on and not noticed it. In the COLD! So to summerize;

Hybrids fly straight and true, dead easy to hit well.

Irons send towering high shots that hang for ages, drop soft and hold.

Good aural feedback from the irons.

No buzz from ANY club no matter how poorly you've made contact.

Not a club for the low handicapper who likes to work the ball.

don't look for "feel" feedback as the clubs are damped too much. Still there IS good aural feedback.

In my opinion these clubs are going to take me under 100 this year and beyond. I can see them being of great help to anyone who is a high handicapper like me that wants to use the best of the latest technology to take their game lower.

None I hope!

Knight Golf, Dunlop, Adams, Taylor Made.