Ping i3 Blade Irons Review

Callaway Golf

May 27, 2013

Reviewed by: Joe C ,  Shoots in the 80s

I-3 Blade

Summary:
I bought these clubs (late 30's, 18 handicapper) after getting fit by an authorized Ping fitter. Plus 1 shaft with blue dot. I was hitting some Callaway's with graphite shafts before, lots of offset. The combination of steel shafts and getting fit for my clubs > improved my iron play. Never liked hitting irons before. I love my irons so much now that I bought the matching 2-iron and hit it straight and solid. Nothing like a solid iron hit, magic. I never thought I would be able to hit or own a 2-iron!! Do they still make 1-irons?? I can't recommend these clubs highly enough. Even better value now that they are a few years old... :)

Ping legendary. Used the serial number on the hosel and ordered a 2-iron. Matched perfectly in feel, etc.

January 3, 2013

Reviewed by: Mike Loqurecio ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping i3 blades

Summary:
I bought a used set of Ping i3 irons at the DuPage Golf show for only $150,PW-3 in great shape. Really lucked out. Brought them to my Golf Galaxy to get fitted and not only are they a 1/2 longer in the shaft ( I'm 6'3") but when they put the tape on to see where I hit them, the black dot is right on. They look good and perform a bit better than my old clubs. My swing has been improving and scrores have been dropping. The feel of these clubs just gets better. I like their look. They sure look cavity backed to me. Was worried they weren't the Oversized and feared losing forgiveness which I need from time to time. My blades, when held up against the Oversized clubs, the lack of club head is on the top, not a place I miss much so I felt better. Very happy with these and pretty much stopped looking around.

Haven't needed

King Cobras, first generation.

May 29, 2012

Reviewed by: Saigon37 ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ping i3 blade Black dot

Summary:
I bought these clubs as a 12 year old eighth grader one year into my golfing career. I typically shot in the low 100s to high 90s, hitting my irons very poorly. Once I got my i3 blades, my game started rapidly improving. Within my first year of playing these clubs, I dropped about 10 strokes off my score. They are forgiving enough to accommodate players of all abilities while still being able to satisfy the demands of low-handicappers. The better I got, the more I began to love the clubs. Now, as a 17 year old high school senior, I am a 1 handicap. I've had these clubs for 5 years and just bought a brand new set of Adams mb2s. These clubs are legitimate blades and I've found them to play extremely similar. Anyone who says that ping i3 blades are cavity backs has no idea what they're talking about.

Adams mb2 blades

May 2, 2010

Reviewed by: ohioglfr ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping i3 Blade

Summary:
I bought these clubs from a military buddy just before I retired. He was tall like me and used green dots with 1" over Rifle 6.0 shafts, which I cut down 1/2" and regripped with Lamkin Crossline Jumbos. These were a mixed set, with 3-7 being the i3 O-Size and the remaining 8-LW being the i3 Blade. This was the best bag I've ever had, and I regret no longer having them. The "Blades" (go figure-cast stainless cavity-backs) have enough offset to be forgiving but you can still easily work the ball. You won't have the true forged feel, but there is still some feedback. I love the wedges, too. The O-Size long clubs, a smidgen larger and more offset, are a joy to hit and extremely forgiving. Oddly enough, I found I could fairly well work the ball with the O-Size, despite the larger offset and slightly larger head size. Someday, I hope to pick up a set of these again, though I think I'll try 3-LW Blades vice the O-Size long iron mix. A coupe years ago I donated these irons to a tall kid on the local HS Golf Team. In retrospect, I can't think of a better set to grow one's game with.

None needed.

Tommy Armour 845s, 855s.

March 2, 2010

Reviewed by: coachz476xal ,  Shoots in the 70s

I3 maroon blades +1/2

Summary:
Bought a new set of custom Warrior forged irons a year ago November with graphite shafts. Performed well when hit properly but my hc suffered and jumped from a 4 to 8-9.
Had knee replacement 12/15/09 and while rehabbing bought a used set of I3 blades, and with moderation, have hit 5 buckets on the range. They pass all expectations. They are longer, straighter and more responsive than any club I have owned in 50 years of play.