Ping I5 Irons Review

Ping I5

The Ping i5 iron is a mid-size, stainless steel iron with reduced offset. The perimeter weighted iron shares many of the G5 iron features, including the larger, thinner Custom Tuning Port (CTP) for improved feel. The sole width and cavity size are created for forgiveness and playability. The lead edge and bounce angle are designed for a smoother, forgiving transition through the turf and from the rough.

More Products from Ping  >>

September 24, 2011

Reviewed by: Lawrence McMahon ,  Shoots in the 80s

ping i5

Summary:
Bought them used ,blk dot which is what I was previously fitted for.First nine I played I had 3 birdies which have been hard to come by this season.They hit straight as an arrow and feel just as soft as my cobra s2 forged.I hit a flag pole from 160 yds. out, something I usually do when I`m chipping and close.Unbelievable confidence builder.Only played 3 rounds and love them already.If these don`t help make me better than nothing will.

not used

mizuno,cobra s2 forged,tm bubble shaft

May 25, 2011

Reviewed by: somatics ,  Scratch Golfer

Ping I5

Summary:
Big changes in the bag this year. Away went Titleist and in went Ping. I5 irons, Ping Eye 2 BECU wedges (this is sounding like Calcavecchia's bag!), the G10 hybrids went in as well.

Craftmanship of PIng has always been top notch. They are a dying breed of OEM's who truly get the idea of "custom" and "tuning" to your game.

I have been fitted by Ping in Toronto. Excellent service.

Shaft-wise we elected to go with a pricey graphite option. The Pro Force 95 Gold tour iron shaft in stiff flex. Irons set 3 degrees flat.

Feels like a million bucks.

As good as the Eye 2's but with more distance is a vote that I second.

I have 14 sets of irons up for sale if anyone is interested!. lol

I think these will stay in the bag for awhile.

Played a quick evening nine at the home course last night. The putter was mega hot and shot a 31.

The irons have a touch of offset, but not enough to bother me.

Ping still offer the best service of any of the biggies by far.

Good luck.

The best!

Name it.

Titleist, 735CM, 755, 681's.
Macgregor 685's
Ping S58
Ping EYE 2
Mizuno MP30 and 60

etc.....

November 8, 2010

Reviewed by: famousdavis ,  Scratch Golfer

ping i5

Summary:
I saw a set of these in like new condition at Play it Again Sports, 3-PW, Black Dot, CS Lite R Shafts, Ping grips. Like I said "NEW" condition. They had them priced at $285 and I talked the store clerk into giving them to me for $185. It's what I do. Anyway, played with the yesterday without ever hitting them on the range and shot a smooth 74. I was hitting lasers all day folks. I know a good club by feel and these are the best. I played Ping Eye 2s for 25 years and these are just as good with more distance. Better than that forged junk. If I could just putt better I'd be on tour. That's the truth dorks.

July 6, 2010

Reviewed by: Stuphoto ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping I5 irons

Summary:
First 3-7 Irons are very short compared to almost every Iron I have hit .
8-sw are pin point accurate . With just fantastic spin . They are very workable but I just don't like the loss in distance . I usually hit my 7 iron 160 . I can only hit my Ping i5 7 iron 140. That's a problem in my book . I had regular steel with cushion incert . Feedback was OK .
I will say The sand wedge was the nicest I have ever played . Wish I still had that. If your buying used and are mid to low handicap I would go for Mizuno MP irons.

Never used

I switched to Mizuno MP 32 irons and WOW ! Not that is a set of Irons I love .
I have also plaed r7's - not bad but prefer blades.

December 9, 2009

Reviewed by: Christopher Mann ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping i-5 Silver Dot

Summary:
I'm not a great golfer, not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't shoot in the 80's...yet.

I've been playing Ping ISI's now for a few years and decided it was time to get some new sticks. First, I went to Pings cite to "self fit" myself with their color matching "dot" system. Then I went to a golfsmith with knowledge in hand and wanted to see what they recommended without telling them I already had a good idea what "dot" I should be swinging.

Let me tell you right now that I choose neither of their recommendations. Both the color matching "dot" system and the dude at Golfsmith recommended White Dot...which is what I've been swinging, but to me the "silver dot" felt better.

I found a GREAT set of i5's Silver dots on Ebay and played this past weekend. THANK GOD the hour I spent on the range was no indication of what kind of round I was going to have because I couldn't hit the ball 20 feet.

Once I got my stance and grip figured out (the clubs were a little shorter than my ISI's and the grip a little smaller) I couldn't believe how well I hit the ball. Par 3, 160 yard with stiff cross winds, 7 iron to 4 feet. 3rd shot on a long par 5 sitting on a down slope into a bunker, 8 iron to within feet of the cup.

Fairway shots, tee shots, even pitches from 20-30 yards out absolutely amazing. Definitely saving strokes. There is a reason why i5's are hard to find.