Ping ISI Irons Review

Ping ISI

ISI features standard sized clubheads with more rounded features recalling the look of the Eye2 available in Steel,Copper and Nickel

More Products from Ping  >>

Review Abstract
"You'll get dead-on targets, even from a mis-hit" with this "great feeling iron." "Forgiving," "consistently straight," "long," "nice control," and "good offset," this Karsten "can average two to three shots better" "for the mid to high handicappers." "If you're a low handicap hitter or competitor, it's horribly overpriced." It also is "highly recommended to get a proper club fitting."

Callaway Golf

September 8, 2012

Reviewed by: Dave ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping ISI Nickel irons

Summary:
Having gone through different Ping models over the years, I would rank these irons right between the Ping Eye 2 BeCu irons as the best irons I've played. They have a very distinct feel on impact and fly straight as an arrow. I started out with a set of Karsten I Pings, then to the EYE 2s, then to the Zings, Zing 2's and now the ISI irons. My favorite of all the aforementioned is the EYE 2's followed by the ISI's. Make sure you get fitted correctly and they'll make you a happy camper!

Ping customer service has always been helpful with any issues I've had which had only been twice...

Ping Karsten I irons
Titleist AC-108's

November 27, 2011

Reviewed by: David Terry ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ping ISI Irons

Summary:
I have had my Ping ISI irons for fifteen years. I absolutely love them. Even with all the advances in technology since 1996, I can't get myself to even consider buying a new set of irons. As far as I am concerned, they are the best irons Ping ever made...all the way up to the latest G20s.

March 27, 2011

Reviewed by: jrook ,  Shoots in the 80s

ISI BENI (nickel)

Summary:
I always wanted a set of these when they first came out but didn't want to spend that much money on a set of clubs. Recently I picked up a set on e-bay for $250.00 that looked about as new as you can probably find. I really was just getting them thinking I'd put them up and save them since the ISI's were the only clubs Ping made in nickel but when I went out and hit them I knew they were going straight in my bag. I don't know about the stainless or copper ones but the nickels are the closest thing to a forged blade as for as feel goes that I've ever hit but with that sweet buttery feel comes a price, hit them a little off center and you get that forged blade sting in your hands but without sacrificing the loss in distance or line hit on. They are incredable. I love knowing exactly where I hit the ball on the face so I can correct it. The problem with most clubs today is they feel about the same no matter where you hit them so you just go on your merry way not knowing what to correct. These let you know but like I said not at the cost of much distance or accuracy. I was thinking I'd probably have to go down a club such as instead of 8 iron for 150 7 iron but was surprised to say that they are just as long as any club I've played. My only complaint is towards myself and that's why did I keep spending so much money on all this new technology when I could have saved a ton of money and got these along time ago. It's also pretty cool playing a classic and rare club such as these.

never used

had countless clubs but none that really can compare to nickel ISI's These are by far my most favorite clubs ever owning.

November 22, 2010

Reviewed by: iseaders ,  Shoots in the 70s

ISI

Summary:
ISI steel were my first fitted set 10 yrs ago and after trying Callaways, Titleists and Mizunos in the mean time in the never ending endeavor to improve my handicap I have finally returned to my old ISI's. I impounded them from my son, who had inherited them and made him take my Mizuno mp 60s or else :-). Now that I can controll a golf ball a bit better I find these irons to be very, very forgiving and yet somehow you can move the ball right or left easier than any iron I have yet played. I love them and have asked my wife to forgive for having convincer her that I needed a new set of irons every two years. She still loves me and I love my old irons.
They are cheap to find and I dont believe any new fangled contraption can beat the combination of basic cavity back forgiveness, good feedback and wonderfull playablity of these irons.
Work on your swing, keep these irons in your bag and save a lot of money!

Never needed it but I hear good things.

Callaway, Titelist, Mizuno

March 2, 2010

Reviewed by: djwping78 ,  Shoots in the 70s

ISI NICKEL

Summary:
As a long time (30+ yrs) Ping player I have owned at least 5 sets of Pings.
Ping eye 2 (sq groove), Zing 2, (2 sets) ISI-S (steel), and i5 and these are still my favorite sticks...they look good at address...
cut thru the turf easily are easy the work both ways. They are also great from the rough.
I have not tried the BeCu copper version but the Nickel have a very soft feel and are just as forgiving as any set I have owned.
I have tried other shafts (JZ, DGS, Rifle Proj-X) but keep coming back to the Z-Z65, a lite weight shaft on the stiff side with a nice trajectory for me.
I have tried/owned many of the other so called "new" technology irons such as Callaway, Mizuno, Titleist and Cobra and TaylorMade but still like the simple look and feel. Demo all the clubs/shafts you can then make your choice.

Callaway X-18,X-20 TOUR, Titleist 735, 755, TaylorMade R7, R7 TP