Ping ZING Irons Review

Ping ZING

Initially offered in 1991, the Ping ZING Irons were Ping's most dramatically perimeter weighted iron ever. They feature an extreamly wide top line and bold toe weighting.

More Products from Ping  >>

February 24, 2017

Reviewed by: PJ Myers ,  Shoots in the 80s

ping zing 2

Summary:
i have always been a ping golfer way back since 1987. my first set were the eye 2's. have had them
for 20+ years. finally decided to upgrade to newer models. i tried the g5 the g10 and didnt like them. then my local proshop had a set of zing 2 black dot 1-LS so i gave them a try. they are true on miss hits still go straight just not as far. but the non miss hits go the distance. they are stronger than the eye 2's by a few degrees per iron. thats why i got a set of the zing 2's . i was tired of my friends with their muscleback taylormade rbz irons hitting 9 irons into greens and me with a 7 iron. with all due respect to the eye 2's which are still the best irons on the market in my opinion i have to say my zing 2's perform as good or better. ball flight is high and spins on a dime when it hits the green. the eye 2's did but would roll to the back or if you had the right iron it would come up short with weak loft. the zing2 is a bit chunky and still getting used to after the eye 2 for so long but i fell in love the first round with them. i score anywhere from 82-91 and my first round with the zing2's was 86. the 2 iron off the tee for me the entire round on the par 4 and 5's right down the middle about 200yds+ my g10 3 wood barely went that far and miss hits with that club was costing me a stroke a hole so for sale it went. i can hit zing2 2 iron as good as anyone. my golf buddy laughs when i pull it out on a 500yd par 5. he hits his rbz driver 300+ yds but not always down the fairway so we are looking for his ball 50% of the time and i am sitting sweet about 300 out so i hit the 2 iron again and now a short iron away. i walk away with par or no less than bogey. i have the zing 2 putter also amd love it so much that i had to try the irons and glad i did. they are in my bag until i quit playing which i hope is at least another 20+ years from now. the zing 2's are ugly but you can keep the new models with the fancy color inserts and weights, the zing 2's are bullet proof in my book

ping has the best customer service.

ping eye 2

August 22, 2016

Reviewed by: Duncan ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping Zing

Summary:
I'm fairly new to golf and after some terrible (cheap) woods decided I needed to upgrade.

I came across a 5 and 3 on eBay not too long ago and after seeing the reviews here bought them.

Although initially I was a little bit sceptical based on their age thought I'd give them a go.

No regrets. Even poor strikes result in fairly good shots and on the occasion everything falls together they're great. If you can find a pair these are a great introduction wood that won't break the bank.

February 22, 2016

Reviewed by: james ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping Zing

Summary:
I purchased my Ping Zings new in 1991, it took a few rounds to get used to the weight of the head as well as the alignment of the top of the club head but after becoming familiar with them I have never looked back nor have I ever considered replacing them. They are a wonderful golf club, providing very good distance, a high trajectory as well as giving one the ability to move the ball from left to right with relative ease. I no longer play due to back issues however my Pings,which are still in excellent condition,are safely tucked in their Ping bag along side a equally outstanding G5 Ping driver and a couple of also very good Taylor-made fairway woods. Occasionally I consider selling them but always decided that if I ever pick up the game again I will want those clubs to play it with. It is not often in life that a product delivers and exceeds expectations but my pings certainly have done it for me. Favorite club of the set had to be the 3 iron, 220 yards and could draw it or fade it.

Taylor-made R7

July 21, 2015

Reviewed by: Clay R ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping Zing

Summary:
My old set of Zings were stolen out of my garage. I figured that since I had been playing them for a long time and heard so much about how the newer technology could benefit a low to high 80s player like me, depending on the day and the course, I should try some newer clubs. Granted, I'm on a limited budget. I tried several player improvement clubs. Bought a used but much newer set of Cobra SZs. I tried various sets of Mizuno's (per a buddy's recommendation), Callaways and Clevelands, but felt that the Cobras felt the best. Now that I've been playing, I would kill to have my Zings back. Especially the person that stole them... I played so much better with them. More solid shots, scored much better, mis-hits did not hurt me as much and golf in general was way more enjoyable for me when I had my Zings. I actually don't want to spend another dime on golf until I have another set of Zings. I'm currently in the market for a used set in decent shape.

May 12, 2014

Reviewed by: L.D. Kliewer ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping Zings

Summary:
I'm currently 66yrs old with 52yrs in the game. My first Pings were the Ping Eyes, now on loan to my Son in law...who loves them. I have moved around Ping clubs, ISI, ISI-k and Zings. I play in Northern Calif with the ISI's during the Summer months. Winters in the Desert, La Quinta playing PGA West, Stadium, Nick T, Greg Norman etc. with my Zings. I shoot in the low to mid 80's and wouldn't give my Zing's up for anyone...except maybe St. Peter. But he'd have to make me a pretty good deal.

The folks at Ping are there to back you up.