Ping ZING2 Irons Review

Ping ZING2

From Ping: In the ZING2 iron, Karsten engineers created a higher moment of inertia, which produces greater resistance to twisting on off-center hits... the extreme perimeter weighting of the ZING2 increases the clubs' effective hitting area, optimizing forgiveness and accuracy. They feature a "leaner" more subtle profile (more standard width top line etc...) than their original "ZING" predecessors.

More Products from Ping  >>

October 16, 2014

Reviewed by: Bob V ,  Shoots in the 70s

Ping Zing 2

Summary:
Picked up a set with JZ stiff shaft for $158 .00. These irons are very stable at impact. Very straight ball flight . Very good launch from all types of lies which was most impressive feature.. PW is 47 degrees so you need to either bend or make sure to alter your other wedges. I found that these clubs are a 1/2 club shorter than newer products due to weaker lofts but you cant beat these for performance. Appearance is not a players blade but actually sets up nicely. I was even able to work the 9 iron around a tree when needed. Have lofts and lies checked before putting in bag. Shaft plays medium stiff.

not needed.

Callaway X18
Ping Eye 2
Mizuno Comp EZ

July 11, 2013

Reviewed by: John Adams ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping Zing 2

Summary:
I started playing golf later in life and never played very well. I was looking at clubs in a golf shop twenty years and spoke with the salesman about my problems. He had a used set of Ping Zing 2 irons with graphite shafts he had taken in trade. He highly recommended them so I bought the clubs. I'm still playing with the same set of clubs today and purchased a second set on e-bay when I retired. These irons are easy to hit and always fly straight down the middle. I now address the ball with a great deal of confidence knowing my Ping Zing 2's will do the job. I would highly recommend these clubs to anyone looking for a steady, reliable set of irons they can always depend on. You can still find them on e-bay and they're well worth the search.

Haven't used them yet.

I started out with a set of Ram irons and woods which I played until trading them in for my Ping Zing 2's.

April 9, 2013

Reviewed by: Chad ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping Zing II

Summary:
Have been wanting a set of Ping Zing 2s since I was young. Found a set on Craigslist 2I-SW for only $175 with new Winn grips! I love the confidence I get from these clubs. Very Accurate! Great set! I'm trying to keep my 15 year old son from taking these away from me.

February 19, 2013

Reviewed by: painter33 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ping Zing 2 Irons

Summary:
These are my second set of Zing 2 irons after trading the first set in on a new set of Mizuno MP 30s - I wanted less offset and thought I'd try a forged iron. The Mizunos are great when hit exactly in the sweet spot but one pays dearly for off-center hits. I bought the second set of matching numbers Zing 2s on eBay as they were very reliable and were my third iteration of Ping irons (Eye2, Zing). These irons are the most predictable and playable irons I've ever hit. I've demo-ed a number of other Pings and other major brands (Calloway -ugh!), but none offers the feel throughout the swing as Zing 2s do. I'm not a "digger" so I rarely hit a fat shot, but on that rare occasion, the thin top line (excluding the heel and toe weights) moves right through the turf and the shot still makes its way down the line. I use steel shafts exclusively so I can't speak to graphite shafts, but these irons don't take a lot of effort to get the ball up and away for solid distances. I keep looking at the "i-whatever" Pings but I can't imagine that they could out perform the Zing 2 irons. Quite a few people may not like their look and laugh at the size of the heads, but they stop laughing when my second shot hits the target, usually the correct side of the green (par 4). Because I came to the "2s" through the Zings, I never had trouble adjusting to the look at address (much better than the Zings), and from the very first demo swing - it was a smooth 4 iron that produced a high, straight, and long shot - I was sold. Away went the Zings and the Zing 2s have been in my bag with the exception of the 1.5 years of only Mizunos. My hdcp went from a 12 to a 7 in a year, mostly due to the Zing to Zing 2 change and playing 4-5 times a week. I've experimented with different grip weights over the years to find the combination that gave me the most feel, as I like to feel a heavy head through the swing arc. A variety of Winn grips have served me well, certainly different that the GP or Lamkin full-cords I used for years. I still like Lamkin Crossline cords, but have reduced the weight by switching to Winn. All in all, I simply love these irons and am convinced that they will be in my bag for the rest of my golf life. I might change drivers and putters, but I've found my lifetime irons.

I've been measured twice (dynamic fitting - different fitters, same results) but I haven't dealt with Pings CS since sending in an Eye2 driver for a new shaft and new whipping - yes, it was that long ago!

What is similar to a Ping iron? Only another Ping iron. The Eye2 irons were like magic in 1985; th eZings were only a little easier to hit than the Eye2s, but the Zing 2s are by far the best irons I've played. Mizunos are forged and gleaming near-blades and can't really be compared to one another except as I wrote above.

October 3, 2012

Reviewed by: Christian V. ,  Shoots in the 90s

Ping Zing 2

Summary:
I didn't believe my golf shop pro when she told me these were the best irons Ping ever made.
After my first set was stolen, I replaced with Ping Raptures and it wasn't quite the same. I simply didn't have the same confidence level at address, especially with the longer clubs.
The Zing 2s have a unique chunky look and satisfying thwack that just grows on you over time.
Luckily, I found a nice set on eBay and just recently played my best round.
Will never trade these for another!

Excellent, though not as accommodating to requests for replacement.