Ram FX 2 Irons Review

Ram FX 2

The Ram FX 2 Irons feature a flow weighted design and dual notch system to optimize the center of gravity. By subjecting the long and the short irons to two specific heat- treatment processes that vary in time and temperature, Gradient Tempering Steel creates short irons that are 27% softer than the long irons.

More Products from Ram  >>

April 25, 2010

Reviewed by: Steve ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ram FX2 irons

Summary:
Bought these from Golfsmith on sale for 90 bucks in 2003. Only use the 6-9 irons now because I use hybrids but these are my $$$$$$$$$$ clubs. Dead on with great feel for a mid line club. These are going to stay in my bag until they rust.

Not used

Tommy Armour 845

March 28, 2009

Reviewed by: Tom Wilkerson ,  Shoots in the 80s

Ram fx2 forged

Summary:
I've played a 1-PW set of Ram FX2 forged irons (TrueTemper S300 steel shafts) since 1985. I'm now a senior player in the high 70's-low 80's range, so I have dropped the 1-3 irons and added a 7 wood to cover that gap. I've also re-shafting to an R300 shaft The Rams are excellent irons I recommend for mid-level golfers if you can find a set. I also have a set of Ram Laser X2 cast irons(Brunswick FM 6.5 steel shafts)which I played before I began using the FX2 set, and they're also an excellent set for mid-handicapers.

With either set I can still hit straight shots with good distance, depending on swing mechanics. Now, if I could just get my putting average consistantly below 30 per round ...

Other than yearly loft/lie adjustments and occasional re-gripping, very little needed if you take care of your gear.

McGregor and Titleist.

July 23, 2006

Reviewed by: jayleetee ,  Shoots in the 100s

Ram FX2

Summary:
Picked up a set of these off of ebay for only$50.00. A steal. Been in a love-hate relationship with golf for over thirty years. Have left the game twice for 10-year periods. Have spend thousands on golf equipment in the past. Was looking for a senior graphite shaft to make my comeback. Learned the golf on my own with a set of blades by Arnold Palmer.
These clubs swing themselves. Are straight and high. Are hot too. If I swing easy; I hit my target. I need regular shaft in these. Lite flex is still too weak for me; and I'm a weak old man. The Rams were rated good in the 2001 Golf Magazine clubtest. I concur with their findings. Its a great club for the senior golfer. If you can find these around; buy them! Awesome. No sting;silky smooth. But light club weight. I would really like to try these in regular steel. Anyone out there with a set you want to part with? Probably not;these are great sticks for the price. But remember; its the indian and not the arrow. No club is a substitute for raw talent and practice and a good mind and patience.

have never needed it yet.

Arnold Palmer blades;Daiwa;Tour Model;Wilson;Titliest DTR;Ping Eye 2+;

November 12, 2004

Reviewed by: squatss ,  Shoots in the 100s

Ram FX2 Irons

Summary:
These irons are a good starter set and are very forgiving.

I can not seem to hit these irons very far at all. I can normally hit a 7 150 yards with these clubs it takes a 6 or sometimes a 5 to get that far depending on the wind.

That said they do hit straight and are consistent.

I have to point out the wedge. I find this club very difficault to use. It feels like I'm swinging a monkey wrench and there is no feel off the face of the club.

To be fair to it, I did learn my pitch shots using a hand me down bladed wedge so I expected there to be a difference but the head feels very hard and heavy.

I find it it extremely difficult to judge the distance if your under 70 yards away and those dinky shots within a couple of feet are impossible. It's like haveing a touch of an elephant.

I did get a good deal on them as they were hardly used and I paid £60 on ebay.

I think that If I hard started using them then I would have a higher opnion of them but at the moment, they are not the clubs for me. They are going back on ebay if anybody is interested.

August 4, 2004

Reviewed by: tedo ,  Shoots in the 100s

Ram fx2 irons

Summary:
I have been playing for only about 2 years and came across these clubs by chance while window shopping in Nevada Bob's in Vancouver Canada. They were on sale for $150.00 CDN which included a sand wedge. These are overall great irons. I could hit the 3 iron off the deck about 180 yards-190 with a tee. I hit the 9 iron about 130 yards dead straight. I'm not one to work the ball so the offset on these clubs work well for me. My brother has a set of Taylormade 360's which I can hit no better than these so why bother to spend over $500.00 more for premium brands. Right now I'm hitting my shots 10-20 yards longer than my old hand me down sets. It's just a shame that Ram had been bought out by Tommy Armour and they just don't seem to promote the Ram products as they are-Premium clubs at affordable prices. By the way, I still shoot in the hundreds but down from the 120's to 100's. I guess my swing still needs some help.

Not used