TaylorMade R7 TP Irons Review

TaylorMade R7 TP

» A tour-caliber player's iron targeted at tour pros and low handicappers seeking workability along with consistent yardage from shot to shot - even on mis-hits

» Inverted Cone Technology expands the COR zone for increased average ball speed for consistently greater distance

» Minimal offset and flatter lie angle give players with tour-caliber hand action maximum control over direction and trajectory

» Classic TaylorMade TP iron shaping delivers an authentic, tour-proven look that promotes confidence at address

» Shallow cavity creates a higher CG, making it easier to work the ball left, right, high and low

» Tour-configured sole incorporates a specially-ground leading edge and softened trailing edge that discourages digging and glides smoothly through turf

» Dynamic Gold steel shaft delivers an unparalleled combination of control and feel, and is available in R, S and X flexes

» TaylorMade logo Tour Velvet® grip delivers tour-proven performance and the perfect combination of traction, comfort and feel

More Products from TaylorMade  >>

Web Address
Information Added By

November 22, 2013

Reviewed by: Gene Pozniakoff ,  Shoots in the 80s

R7 TP

Summary:
Having grown up on blades,Ben Hogan Apex irons, I thought long and hard before I decided to change irons. I never did like the offset of the Ping, Callaway, Nike or TaylorMade irons. Then I saw a set of TaylorMade R7tp irons.
There is virtually no offset with these clubs. Even the 3 and 4 irons, which are supposed to have some offset, have little or none that I can see. And a clean, thin top line gave me the look that I knew when comparing them to the Apex irons.
They came with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts, similar to the Apex 4\'s in my Hogans. Swing weight felt similar as did overall weight.
Taking them to the course was a thrill. I was hitting them 5 - 10 yds longer than the Apex irons, with a slight draw on the shot. Trajectory was higher and feel was about the same. They did not have a dead spot on the face as did the Apex irons on off center hits.
I will say that I can\'t seem to hit a fade or slice with them as I could with the Apex irons. They are easy to draw or hook when needed. I have to be careful when I\'m under trees as there trajectory is much higher and they don\'t seem to like being played too far back in my stance.
I did eventually find an R7tp SW and just today I purchased an R7tp AW off of EBay. I believe that they will complete my club purchases for a long time to come.

None needed.

Ben Hogan Apex RedLine
Ping Eye 2, Ping iSi
Callaway X20
Spalding Dot

July 6, 2012

Reviewed by: Shane B ,  Shoots in the 80s

Taylormade R7 TP

Summary:
I bought these irons 2 thru pitching wedge because I wanted to try more of a players iron. I have never hit irons better than I do these. My 2 iron is probably the straightest iron in my bag. With most sets I struggle with the 4 iron. I usually only have time to play 9 holes. With these irons in my bag, I am shooting scores in the 30's. I shot a 37 my third time out. I LOVE these irons. It is so easy to square the face.

Haven,t used.

Big berthas, Cobra S9 and SZ, Callaway diablo forged and Ping Eye 2's.

May 19, 2012

Reviewed by: Wolfgang414 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tp r7 irons

Summary:
I don't write reviews but just played with these and really like them. I
play s59's, but wanted to try these. I found them on the bay with x100's and they rock. If you are a 10 or under give these a try they are forgiving and workable. I was surprised how well off center strikes carried. Can be had for cheap and are worth
trying.

Have not used.

S59's, nickent 3dx pro, bridgestone j36 combo,

May 15, 2011

Reviewed by: Joe ,  Shoots in the 90s

Taylormade R7 TP

Summary:
I recieved a set of Taylormade R7's with ProjectX6.5 shafts. I was worried the shafts are alittle stiff but I took the clubs out to the range yesterday and hit them alongside my MP60 with PX5.0 shafts and wow what a difference the R7 made. They are more forgiving as I tried to make bad strikes and wanted to test what others have said about still gaining decent distance on poor strikes. The I was able to hit very consistent shots and even work a draw. I am still in my first year of golf but I really like the feel of this set and will put it in my bag for my next round of golf.

None

Mizuno MP32 and MP60

February 27, 2011

Reviewed by: DonJuan2120 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Taylormade R7 irons

Summary:
I'm not one to write reviews, but the R7s are exactly what I've needed for my game. I've earnestly tried to find a better iron for the past couple of years and have yet to find one that compares the the R7. Here's my honest review:

The R7 falls right in the middle of the irons spectrum: 50% forgiveness 50% workability. Although you sacrifice feedback for forgiveness and shot shape for consistency, you gain a vital aspect of your iron play: confidence.

Now, for those who have said to have gained 10-15 yards over your old clubs, here the simple explanation to it: loft. The loft of your 5 iron (say Titleist 762s) is 27*. The R7 6 iron has a loft of 28*. So, logically, your r7 6 iron will go the length of your old 762 5 iron.

Bottom line, will these clubs give you tremendous feedback? Nope. Will they allow you to work the ball at will? No. What the R7s will do is give you some workability, some forgiveness, and a whole lot of confidence. And again, confidence is what allows low scores to happen.

Titleist AP1, Cleveland CG7, Nike VR Cavity/Pro Combo, Callaway X-20 Tour, and pretty much every other club, new and old, on the market.