Titleist DCI Oversize+ Black Irons Review

More Products from Titleist  >>

September 19, 2010

Reviewed by: Dirk ,  Shoots in the 90s

Titleist DCI 981 Oversize +

Summary:
Picked up a set 4-SW, rifle shafts, upright specs for a little over $100. What a bargain! These irons are tight and buttery soft. Remind me of the old forged. I'm just an average golfer but am finding condidence from these classic looking and hitable irons.

not experienced.

Ping, Lynx Black Cat, Cleveland Gold, Callaway X-14 and 2004's

September 19, 2009

Reviewed by: stevewdraper ,  Shoots in the 90s

Titleist DCI Black Oversize

Summary:
Just got these clubs from my uncle.
Only practised with them for a few days.
They feel very well balanced and make me feel confident at address.
My last set were Great Whites.
However these Titleist clubs feel less threatening when looking down at the clubface. Brilliant for the player who feels embarrassed when his friends are watching him take a shot. You just know that the ball will leave the clubface and go in the direction you are aiming.

Not used. But they are only 20 miles from where I live.

Great Whites.

June 2, 2009

Reviewed by: Thumper ,  Shoots in the 70s

titlist DCI black

Summary:
sup' fellow golfers... i had a set of taylormade supersteel irons they were nice...except vandals had gotten away with the whole set...heart broken, heavy heart...left eye twitch, brother and i were forced to a yard sale, wife found a set of clubs for $60.00.
all excited because they were the titlist DCI black, i had these clubs tuned to my swing, inserted tru-temper S-300 shafts now the rest is history i now have been using these for the last 8 months.
i love the workability of these easy to hit clubs, i don't know why i haven't tried these clubs earlier...
who says older clubs are no good, hard to hit, i'd say...better go to your club pro and check your swing again, oh..and bring somemore dollars to the course...

Taylormade supersteel.

February 1, 2008

Reviewed by: Walter Wellsfry ,  Shoots in the 80s

Titleist DCI Oversize Black

Summary:
I bought my DCI Oversize Black's new in 1996. I played them as my "gamer set" for ten years and was always pleased with them. Titleist stands for quality and these clubs are still outstanding today--especially for mid to high handicappers.

True, they have a good amount of offset and are a bit large in shape. But they are still excellent as I recently tested them against a brand new set of Callaway X 20's. As a 11 index I played 6 rounds with the X20"s and my best score was an 86. I then played a round with my trusty old DCI's and shot an 82!! I ditched the X20"s and just purchased a set of X20 Tours (best score 77) but have retained my Titleist's as a great back-up set and the one to go to when I need more forgiveness.

You can pick-up a used set for a song. I cannot endorse more highly for a inexpensive, forgiving set of quality irons.

FYI--if you really want to improve, work on your short game! Titleist Vokey Spin-Milled wedges are awesome!!

Outstanding! Lost my eight iron about four years ago and Titleist replaced as they had still retained my custom order specs. Titleist is a great golf company.

Callaway X20, Ping G5 and 10

October 3, 2006

Reviewed by: hannibal3blue ,  Shoots in the 80s

Titleist DCI Oversize Plus Gold, Trispec Reg. steel.

Summary:
I was given these clubs by my Dad, a single digit handicapper for years, not long after I had taken up the game. He replaced them with some Mizuno Pro II's. I have played these for about 4 1/2 years and have loved using them. They are forgiving and long, the shafts are great - nice bit of kick, (v. similar to DG R300 IMHO). The looks are neat and compact for an oversized iron and the feel on a middled shot is superb - almost as good as a forged club.
My only difficulty has been the amount of offset - quite a lot! This makes it quite dificult to work the ball and can result in fades turning into straight pulls and gentle draws into big hooks.
Now, you might suggest that a 14 h'capper like me has no business trying to work the ball anyway (!) but I'm at that difficult stage where I really feel that I'm on the edge of 'the next step'. With this in mind I bought a set of Macgregor 1025cm (mixed set).
Now these are beautiful and great feeling clubs.
HOWEVER, a month later and I'm not hitting the ball so well. Maybe due to some health problems, but for whatever reason, the first thing I do is to get the DCIs back out - they still feel great and sold ball-striking returns!
A really great, no frills, high quality (make that super high quality) game improvement iron.
Buy them dirt cheap on ebay.

Terrible in the UK. E-mailed them about my 905t driver - no response at all.

Macgregor 1025cm