Titleist Forged Stainless 804.OS Irons Review

Titleist Forged Stainless 804.OS

The new Forged Stainless 804.OS is a high performance, oversize blade iron with enhanced offset, contemporary design features and forged construction technology. Forged from high grade stainless steel, the club heads are heat treated to the same softness as mild carbon steel. The multi step precision forging process creates a more accurate part so less polishing is needed. The 804.OS irons feature a new "near U" groove design that provides more volume for consistent spin performance from a variety of conditions.

More Products from Titleist  >>

August 16, 2009

Reviewed by: Spencer ,  Shoots in the 80s

Titleist 804 OS

Summary:
You need a decent swing to play these Irons. I've been playing these for the last year or so and they are the most reliable clubs I've ever played with. They reward pure contact with impressive high ball flight yet they tend to be unforgiving towards the heel. I wouldn't recommend these for beginners but they are a perfect set for the consistent, athletic swing.

July 26, 2009

Reviewed by: lpasq ,  Shoots in the 100s

Titleist 804.OS

Summary:
I'm 47 and a today I recently achieved the status of beginner. I originally picked up these sticks several years ago when buying a set to play in a corporate golf event. I must have been an easy mark for that slick salesman. I show up to play in that scramble with shiny new clubs that I never even hit. (yes...you can and should be laughing your a** off) The experience of that day was so awful I never considered becoming a golfer. A few more corporate events and the clubs aged in the garage until two months ago when a coworker invited me to play a round.

The passing of four years did not erase the dread embedded in my memory of my false start to learn this game. So...i at least went to a driving range days before the game. I watched for a few hours and then suffered through a big bucket of rocks.

I was told by a guy who felt pity that I shouldn't be [playing such a hard iron to hit. I thought he should have minded his own business since I was having fun hitting some in the air and I knew no better. I played that week's round and feel in love with the feeling I got from hitting a few up and straight. My foursome had a blast watching me suffer to a 154 score.

That night, I decided to take lessons and try to learn how to swing clubs and strike the ball. Six weeks ago, I took the first of my five lesson package from a local teaching pro.

After watching me swing my 9i. He said, "we have to start from scratch and you'll need some clubs that will help you get better." I told him I owned these and these are what I'll use until I understand what a swing should feel right. He appreciated that.

After four lessons, thousands of range balls, a dozen rounds of play, and sore/shocked hands from brutal mis-hits and digging some trenches...I have accomplished two goals. I am breaking 120 and understand what I'm suppose to do to become a consistent ball striker.

These clubs have taught me what a bad shot feels like and make clear to me what I do wrong since the only reward for a miss-hit is if it is a minor miss.

I have ordered a set of W/S Ci6 for a couple hundred bucks that I'm told will be less punishing but still a challenging beginner set. Some will say, they too are "not smart" for a rookie. But...I am a knucklehead. I will break 100 before the new year. (lucky to golf all year long here in SoCal) Whatever the Wilson experience delivers, my 804.OSs have a permanent home if for no other reason than they have taught me what I do wrong.

December 17, 2008

Reviewed by: Stormbringer ,  Scratch Golfer

804 OS Nippon Steel 3-PW

Summary:
What a soft, easy to hit and nice looking iron. I picked these up cheap used at a local discount store and I am very pleased with them.

Ball flight is nice and high and I like the progressive offset and the finish of the irons. The 7-PW have a slightly strong loft so I easily bent them into standard specs.

Great set of irons. Clubs can be worked either way and ball flight is high.

None needed thus far

Ping I5, Hogan Apex Edge, Nike Pro Combo.

October 25, 2007

Reviewed by: John Belley ,  Shoots in the 80s

TITLEIST 804 OS

Summary:
Thinking that I was needing a more forgiving club as I was getting older, I gave these a try at the golf course pro shop where I work after using countless sets of game improvement clubs with "no game improvement". With out getting into the details all I can say is that I should have tried a more "players" club sooner because it has transformed my game. Not that the 804's are a means to an end but they worked so well for me that I bought a mint set on eBay for under $200 and never looked back. I urge you to try some of the better forged clubs in your search and see what I mean. You're not as old as you think!

Not needed

Too many to list. Ping, Taylor Made, Cobra, Adams, Cleveland etc.

September 24, 2007

Reviewed by: spielman45 ,  Shoots in the 90s

titleist 804 OS

Summary:
I have had these clubs for over a year now and wanted to write a review only after I have played them for awhile. They have been better than I expected them to be. I have only been playing for a few years now and wanted to play a set that I could keep for awhile. I was first worried that I bought the wrong set as these blade types were hard at first to hit. But as time went by and playing as much I could they have been wonderful. Yes you have to posses a decent swing to hit them, but when your on these clubs are awesome!!! I tell you there is nothing like the feeling of a forged iron! I was planning to purchase a set of the Titleist 695 blades in a few years, but I think the 804's will be in my bag for a long time. Well done Titleist.

I have never used them as I mostly do my shopping from The Golf Warehouse (the service was always excellent!) But I know I will use Titleist products for a long time.

2006 Callaway Big Berthas, Ping Zings, Taylormade Racs