Titleist Forged Stainless 804.OS Irons Review

Titleist Forged Stainless 804.OS

The new Forged Stainless 804.OS is a high performance, oversize blade iron with enhanced offset, contemporary design features and forged construction technology. Forged from high grade stainless steel, the club heads are heat treated to the same softness as mild carbon steel. The multi step precision forging process creates a more accurate part so less polishing is needed. The 804.OS irons feature a new "near U" groove design that provides more volume for consistent spin performance from a variety of conditions.

More Products from Titleist  >>

February 5, 2015

Reviewed by: JP ,  Shoots in the 90s

Titleist 804.os

Summary:
READ THIS REVIEW
This is a long review but will tell you what you need to know
If you're reading something you already know about keep reading until the end you won't regret it
So I went to the local used sports equipment store looking for some irons because I had just picked up golf, played 5 rounds only playing through 18 once playing doubles. Not a lot of experience but not a bad swing, yet still not quiet good. I used some irons that my dad gave me and they were blades, bad grips, stiff flex; everything to work to my disadvantage. So I wanted new clubs, I picked these up only because the salesman promised me 7 day money back garuntee. I wouldn't think of returning these. The night I got them I went to the range hit them consistently and accurately. I went from hitting about a 115 to hitting a 90 tonight. Now this is about a 3 month gap between the two scores but these are the only two full rounds of golf I've played! I'm not saying these irons will drop your score as much as they did mine because I watched golf on tv watched videos on swing improvement I go to the range 1-3 times a week so I worked to drop my score this much but I had a terrible slice and I haven't slice a shot yet. No let me tell you mate about the details you need to get for this club. I got a graphite regular flex shaft. The graphite is preference for me the regular flex is not. I have a medium to slow swing so I got that if you have stiff flex steel and you have a fast swing that's fine but if you are trying to play a set of irons with stiff flex steel you might as well try to fly from tee box to tee box. You won't get anywhere and you will have a miserable time. Get regular flex or the flex that appeals to your swing next I got forged irons. Not going into detail, get forged. Pros use forged, it helps. You get a better feel, don't get cast irons, just trust me. I also like the offset head because again I had a bad slice and now I don't (at least with my irons) get cavity backs, blades will make you want to quit golf unless you're a scratch golfer. I hope you found this useful, if you knew all of these thing already then I hope you kept reading because now I'm actually going to get to my review. I hit these clubs further, cleaner, more acuretly, and nicer than any other clubs. These are a good find. The will improve your game and if you have the basic mechanics you'll love them; if you don't hit these clubs well, it's you, not the clubs. These are a must get. I love these and I'm holding on to these bad boys.

Wilson, Spalding lol, Ping, Taylormade, Titleist

August 16, 2009

Reviewed by: Spencer ,  Shoots in the 80s

Titleist 804 OS

Summary:
You need a decent swing to play these Irons. I've been playing these for the last year or so and they are the most reliable clubs I've ever played with. They reward pure contact with impressive high ball flight yet they tend to be unforgiving towards the heel. I wouldn't recommend these for beginners but they are a perfect set for the consistent, athletic swing.

July 26, 2009

Reviewed by: lpasq ,  Shoots in the 100s

Titleist 804.OS

Summary:
I'm 47 and a today I recently achieved the status of beginner. I originally picked up these sticks several years ago when buying a set to play in a corporate golf event. I must have been an easy mark for that slick salesman. I show up to play in that scramble with shiny new clubs that I never even hit. (yes...you can and should be laughing your a** off) The experience of that day was so awful I never considered becoming a golfer. A few more corporate events and the clubs aged in the garage until two months ago when a coworker invited me to play a round.

The passing of four years did not erase the dread embedded in my memory of my false start to learn this game. So...i at least went to a driving range days before the game. I watched for a few hours and then suffered through a big bucket of rocks.

I was told by a guy who felt pity that I shouldn't be [playing such a hard iron to hit. I thought he should have minded his own business since I was having fun hitting some in the air and I knew no better. I played that week's round and feel in love with the feeling I got from hitting a few up and straight. My foursome had a blast watching me suffer to a 154 score.

That night, I decided to take lessons and try to learn how to swing clubs and strike the ball. Six weeks ago, I took the first of my five lesson package from a local teaching pro.

After watching me swing my 9i. He said, "we have to start from scratch and you'll need some clubs that will help you get better." I told him I owned these and these are what I'll use until I understand what a swing should feel right. He appreciated that.

After four lessons, thousands of range balls, a dozen rounds of play, and sore/shocked hands from brutal mis-hits and digging some trenches...I have accomplished two goals. I am breaking 120 and understand what I'm suppose to do to become a consistent ball striker.

These clubs have taught me what a bad shot feels like and make clear to me what I do wrong since the only reward for a miss-hit is if it is a minor miss.

I have ordered a set of W/S Ci6 for a couple hundred bucks that I'm told will be less punishing but still a challenging beginner set. Some will say, they too are "not smart" for a rookie. But...I am a knucklehead. I will break 100 before the new year. (lucky to golf all year long here in SoCal) Whatever the Wilson experience delivers, my 804.OSs have a permanent home if for no other reason than they have taught me what I do wrong.

December 17, 2008

Reviewed by: Stormbringer ,  Scratch Golfer

804 OS Nippon Steel 3-PW

Summary:
What a soft, easy to hit and nice looking iron. I picked these up cheap used at a local discount store and I am very pleased with them.

Ball flight is nice and high and I like the progressive offset and the finish of the irons. The 7-PW have a slightly strong loft so I easily bent them into standard specs.

Great set of irons. Clubs can be worked either way and ball flight is high.

None needed thus far

Ping I5, Hogan Apex Edge, Nike Pro Combo.

October 25, 2007

Reviewed by: John Belley ,  Shoots in the 80s

TITLEIST 804 OS

Summary:
Thinking that I was needing a more forgiving club as I was getting older, I gave these a try at the golf course pro shop where I work after using countless sets of game improvement clubs with "no game improvement". With out getting into the details all I can say is that I should have tried a more "players" club sooner because it has transformed my game. Not that the 804's are a means to an end but they worked so well for me that I bought a mint set on eBay for under $200 and never looked back. I urge you to try some of the better forged clubs in your search and see what I mean. You're not as old as you think!

Not needed

Too many to list. Ping, Taylor Made, Cobra, Adams, Cleveland etc.