Tom Wishon Golf 550c Cavity Back Irons Review

Tom Wishon Golf 550c Cavity Back

* 550C are a true forged carbon steel design, made from a softer alloy of Carbon Steel called 1035C with lower carbon content for allowing the forging process to pack the steel tighter and improve grain structure and reduce internal voids * 550C is a true Cavity Back design, which means it is forgiving on off-center hits and recommended for all levels of players * TWGT uses a 5-step forging process which is one more step than most all other forged irons; the additional step is done to compress the steel tighter in the head and to help reduce the amount of grinding that is required to prepare the irons for nickel/chrome electro-plating. This also ensures more consistency of shape in the set. * The progressive offset from 3.5mm in the #2 and 3 irons, down to 2.0mm in the short irons is more like what the pros on the PGA Tour have started to like, more than a total non-offset design.

More Products from Tom Wishon Golf  >>

February 19, 2012

Reviewed by: Hilde ,  Shoots in the 70s

Tom Wishon 555C

Summary:
I was introduced to the Tom Wishon 555C by a club fitter who was recommended to me by a friend. My intent was to get some more name brand irons but was impressed with the look of the 555C and so I gave them a shot. I'm glad I did. Although they are the first truly forged irons I've owned, and I cannot compare to others, the playability of these irons are the best I have ever owned. My previous 3 sets of irons have been Ping and while there are some small differences that I miss from those irons, I'm overall more impressed with the TW 555C once they were fit and the small adjustments were done in the second fitting. My handicap went from a 6 to a 4 last year and I have to believe it was because I have very good irons that were fit properly for me.

No need for TW service. My clubfitter has made some minor adjustments and has completely stood behind his product and service.

First set of forged irons so no true comparible.

February 9, 2010

Reviewed by: famousdavis ,  Scratch Golfer

Wishon 550

Summary:
I took these clubs out for a test drive the other day. I've heard some ramblins about Wishon this and Wishon that. I Wishon everyone would just shut the hell up. Anyway, took 'em to the range. My dispersion rate was somewhat higher than with my Ping Eye 2 irons. What most of you don't realise is that Ping Eye 2 irons are the best iron ever made. It is the perfect balance of head weight, shaft and grip. I'm an excellent ball striker...much better than any of you so you know I must be right.

Didn't call. Just dropped off the clubs at the pro shop and went back to the Eye 2's.

I've used them all but the Ping Eye 2's are the best.

September 5, 2009

Reviewed by: golfnut88 ,  Scratch Golfer

Wishon 550 Combo iron set

Summary:
I play Wishon 550's 2-6CB; 7-PW MB with DGS300. I play to a +2 Hndcp and have played competively for sometime. These irons are fantastic! Best described as workable irons that inpire confidence at address and are easy to flight the ball. Thanks Wishon for such a great product.

I need to put in a plug for Shane at thegolfshed.com. I have worked with many excellent clubfitters over my time and Shane is the best. He gives excellent customer service, is very knowledgeable, and cares about the product you will receive. Not to mention his extremely competitive pricing. He has my business for life! Thanks Shane.

Have not needed them. I use my clubfitter for advice and concerns.

KZG ZO blades; Srixon Pro-100's; Mizuno MP 33's.

August 18, 2008

Reviewed by: sbaruffi@enter.net ,  Shoots in the 80s

Wishon 550C

Summary:
As an older golfer (56) who still fancies himself as a decent iron player, I am reviewing these a second time. I just bought a backup set with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts and this set is entirely cavity back, presumably standard loft and lie.

I did not even take this second set to the driving range, and just got back from the course now after hitting numerous good iron shots including a hole out for eagle from 135 yards (knockdown 8 iron into the wind). I am amazed at the reviewer who found these irons harsh. I would have to believe he was not swinging as well as he is capable. The feel of these irons is anything but harsh, only Mizuno comes close to the feeling of hitting a pure Wishon 550 iron.

Like I said and emphasize, these irons are great and the best feeling out there (although I have not tried all the Hogan irons). Was I just lucky to find two great sets, one with Rifle 5.0 shafts and another with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts? If so, than I should start packing for Vegas because I am not all that great a ball striker. I can barely hit a 5 iron any longer. I hit a driver about 230 yards and my 7 iron about 150 tops. My only complaint ever about my first Wishon set is that the A wedge or gap wedge was not a perfect fit for me (I seemed to pull it left more than I should, so I use a Cleveland 52* now). My newer set did not include the gap wedge.

I still maintain that these irons are better than Mizuno MP37's, Hogan, Ping, Maltby Callaway, Armour V25, Ram Nickel, Srixon I302's you name it. Don't let one bad reviewer dissuade you from purchasing these. I don't work for Wishon (though I would love to meet the man), but I don't believe there are more quality clubs out there, and I have hit hundreds over my 40 years of golf.
Give these a try if you get a chance. They are still available at "are you kidding me" prices on ebay. I don't think you have to be a great ball striker to use these irons. As far as workability, I am not the best one to speak to that as I am just happy with a nice straight ball. I do generally set up for a draw and my ball flight is generally mid trajectory. If I do hit a fade with these, I generally need one extra club to get home.

Obviously if you are not hitting the ball well, you should not be reviewing irons. Most of us in the 9-15 handicap range have days where the club feels like a foreign object in our hands and would be better off weilding a croquet mallet. But after using my first set of Wishon's for over 2 years and now finding instant happiness with a new set, I don't think my ravings are irrational exuberance. As always, do your own due diligence, get fitted if necessary and all the other usual disclaimers apply.

Never have needed any, total quality.

Listed above.

July 26, 2008

Reviewed by: masangui ,  Shoots in the 80s

Wishon 550C

Summary:
I have been playing for about a year a set of Wishon 550C irons with Dynamic Gold SL R300 shafts and I couldn´t be happier. These clubs are very accurate and very easy to hit for a cavity-back golf head. They are not the longest-hitting irons as their lofts are more "traditional" than most golf clubs manufactured nowadays. Regarding feeling, they feel harder than the Mizuno MX-20 irons I used to play but they are OK.

I have not used it.

Mizuno MX-20 and Taylor Made 200 irons. Both of them are great clubs too, but the Wishon 550C irons work better for me.