Tommy Armour Golf 845U Silverback Irons Review

Tommy Armour Golf 845U Silverback

If you are looking for a game improvement club you will enjoy the 845U SilverBacks. This set is the easiest set to hit on the market and on off-center hits this set yields the best distance and solid feel. The short hosel and increased blade length of the 845U Irons offer perimeter weighting and lower center of gravity for higher, longer shots. These irons include True Temper Tour Step steel shafts. This set is offered in right or left handed in stiff or regular flex. Also available below with graphite shafts.

More Products from Tommy Armour Golf  >>

April 20, 2008

Reviewed by: Jared ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tommy Armour 845u silverbacks

Summary:
Found the weighting on the tommy armour clubs very uncomfortable and only used for one year. Now hitting the Cleveland Hi-Bore irons which have increased my game by 7-10 strokes! I was a mid 80's shooter and now average a 77. If you are a beginning golfer, the 845 series are a nice option for the price but are a very limited club.

August 15, 2004

Reviewed by: lfcund57 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tommy Armour 845u Silverback

Summary:
Was looking for an iron easier to hit with the result of a higher ball trajectory. Investigating playablility of several irons, I learned that the 845u's were supposed to be one of the best game improvment irons. Purchased a set of new 845u's with steel shafts on ebay for only $187.50 + shipping. I figured at that price what do I have to lose.

I went to a fitter to have the lie angle changed but he broke the hozel on the 3 iron before he had reached 1* upright. Discovered that the clubs had to be returned to Armour if you want to change the lie angle. Opted to have the shafts lengthened 3/4" to accomodate my lie problem. Armour is replacing the 3 iron with a sand wedge for my fitter. The hardness of the stainless steel should mean that the lofts should hold for a long time.

Have played several rounds with the 845u's and am totally happy with them. They are easy to hit and my ball trajectory has risen considerably from where it was. I'm actually holding greens now a days! Have not tried to work the ball with these irons but suspect it will be dificult. I suspect my handicap will begin to drop - happy days are here again.

Total cooperation with my fitter.

Ping ISI-k, eye 2, Zing & Zing 2

July 16, 2003

Reviewed by: Troy ,  Shoots in the 80s , from Iowa

845U Stiff Steel 3-SW

Summary:
Have been playing bogey golf and having trouble dropping from that level. Decide perhaps more forgiving irons might help, was playing the MacGregor PCB Tour's which I loved (still do), but knew they weren't the most forgiving out there. Had tried the Cally X-14 ps, but they just weren't for me.

The 845U's are a nice compromise. Definitely on the forgiving side, they are a mid size iron and look very nice at address. Trajectory is medium high, miss hits still go well but aren't masked, and everything from the 4 iron on up is very easy to get airborne. Shots want to fly straight, good performance out of the rough, and the short irons are very accurate. All in all I have no complaints with these irons. Armour has done a good job making a forgiving iron that still feels like a golf club (if you know what I mean) when you swing it.

Compared to the Callaway irons, I think the Armours are just a touch nicer looking and perform just as well at a fraction of the price.

Think these will be in the bag for some time!

Ping I/3 Blade, Ping ISI, MacGregor PCB Tour, Callaway x-14 ps