Tommy Armour Golf Silver Scot Irons Review

Tommy Armour Golf Silver Scot

• High Launch Rifle-Flighted shafts
  • Tour Launch Rifle Shafts
  • Forged construction offers consistent
  • Soft feel and control at impact
  • CNC milled face

More Products from Tommy Armour Golf  >>

September 1, 2014

Reviewed by: Gary Huth ,  Shoots in the 100s

Silver Scott

Summary:
I haven't played golf in probably 5 to 7 years. My swing is off from where it was. I have more distance than with my old clubs right out of the box. These clubs for the money were an excellent choice

My friend bought the Evo set, very nice choice also

October 8, 2011

Reviewed by: Rick ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tommy Armour Forged Silverscot Blades

Summary:
This is my SECOND time owning these clubs. When I first started golfing, I wanted to get a set that I would want to keep for a long time as my game got better. I bought these new and always liked the way they looked and that they were a midsize "blade". What i didnt care for was the small grips (changed them) and the high lofts of the clubs (PW was like a 47 deg) and the short shafts (I could swear they were like a 1/2 inch shorter). So unfortunately I got rid of them and played the Burner 1.0's.

I stopped playing for a bit, then got back into it. The Burner's are great, but I wanted to try something else. Sure enough, I see a set of TA Blades at a golf shop and the guy says to give these a try. I told him I already had these and explained why I sold them. He said, these have been extended a 1/2 inch and the lofts have been bent to the newer style lofts (PW was at 45 deg). They were a low price, so I bought them and gave them a try.

I didnt realize how GREAT these clubs felt!! Easy swinging for a 53 yr old and VERY accurate!! If I could only find the matching Gap Wedge for these, this would be a very happy ending to this story!!

Didnt need it.

Taylormade Burner 1.0

May 14, 2011

Reviewed by: Vern Edgren ,  Shoots in the 90s

Tommy Armour Silver Scot

Summary:
What's with the grips? They're too small. No way are they a standard grip size.

December 16, 2009

Reviewed by: simple_golfer ,  Shoots in the 70s

Silver Scot Blade

Summary:
I have been playing with this set for over a year now and am very happy with the performance. I have the 3-PW and also purchased the GW. I used to play the Mizuno MP-14s and still consider them to be the benchmark for blade irons. In order to make this review more objective, I will focus on comparing these 2 models.
The first thing I noticed about the silver scot blades was the difference in the top line profile on the 3-7 irons. MP-14s have the traditional straight top line and the curved topline starts on the 8 iron. The silver scots have the curved topline throughout the set. This adds forgiveness on shots hit higher on the face. I feel this is the greatest design improvement over the MP-14 profile. The silver scot clubheads are slightly bigger than the MP-14 heads and the face thickness is thinner. This also makes the design more forgiving.
There is noticeably more offset on these clubs and the offset is constant throughout. This helps me play the ball further back in my stance with the shorter irons and get my trajectory higher with the longer irons.
The center of gravity on these clubs are lower due to the position of the muscle back being lower. This, along with the flighted rifle shafts, help get the ball on a higher trajectory. I don't have exceptional clubhead speed so I noticed right away the higher trajectory and longer distance.
The steel used in the head feels and sounds harder than the MP-14, but feedback is great. I actually prefer a harder steel as it will wear longer and extend the life of the club.
I've read some complaints on the stock grips, but I have had no issues with them. They play great.
This is a great set of blades with modern design upgrades. When compared to a traditional blade like the MP-14, the silver scots are noticeably more forgiving while still maintaining the precise feedback of a blade.

Mizuno MP-14

October 1, 2009

Reviewed by: WooHooT ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tommy Armour Silver Scot

Summary:
These are hard to beat for the money. Bought them off ebay a while ago and been playing with them for about 2 seasons. Considering that they're forged, rifle-shafted, workable, and cost as much as a 2 year old set of used mizzy's, you really can't go wrong. Only thing is that the grips which are kind of on the thin side but can be easily swapped for something better.

Mizuno Mp-52, Mizuno MP-62, Mizuno MP-67