Tommy Armour Golf Silver Scot Irons Review

Tommy Armour Golf Silver Scot

• High Launch Rifle-Flighted shafts
  • Tour Launch Rifle Shafts
  • Forged construction offers consistent
  • Soft feel and control at impact
  • CNC milled face

More Products from Tommy Armour Golf  >>

October 8, 2011

Reviewed by: Rick ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tommy Armour Forged Silverscot Blades

Summary:
This is my SECOND time owning these clubs. When I first started golfing, I wanted to get a set that I would want to keep for a long time as my game got better. I bought these new and always liked the way they looked and that they were a midsize "blade". What i didnt care for was the small grips (changed them) and the high lofts of the clubs (PW was like a 47 deg) and the short shafts (I could swear they were like a 1/2 inch shorter). So unfortunately I got rid of them and played the Burner 1.0's.

I stopped playing for a bit, then got back into it. The Burner's are great, but I wanted to try something else. Sure enough, I see a set of TA Blades at a golf shop and the guy says to give these a try. I told him I already had these and explained why I sold them. He said, these have been extended a 1/2 inch and the lofts have been bent to the newer style lofts (PW was at 45 deg). They were a low price, so I bought them and gave them a try.

I didnt realize how GREAT these clubs felt!! Easy swinging for a 53 yr old and VERY accurate!! If I could only find the matching Gap Wedge for these, this would be a very happy ending to this story!!

Didnt need it.

Taylormade Burner 1.0

May 14, 2011

Reviewed by: Vern Edgren ,  Shoots in the 90s

Tommy Armour Silver Scot

Summary:
What's with the grips? They're too small. No way are they a standard grip size.

December 16, 2009

Reviewed by: simple_golfer ,  Shoots in the 70s

Silver Scot Blade

Summary:
I have been playing with this set for over a year now and am very happy with the performance. I have the 3-PW and also purchased the GW. I used to play the Mizuno MP-14s and still consider them to be the benchmark for blade irons. In order to make this review more objective, I will focus on comparing these 2 models.
The first thing I noticed about the silver scot blades was the difference in the top line profile on the 3-7 irons. MP-14s have the traditional straight top line and the curved topline starts on the 8 iron. The silver scots have the curved topline throughout the set. This adds forgiveness on shots hit higher on the face. I feel this is the greatest design improvement over the MP-14 profile. The silver scot clubheads are slightly bigger than the MP-14 heads and the face thickness is thinner. This also makes the design more forgiving.
There is noticeably more offset on these clubs and the offset is constant throughout. This helps me play the ball further back in my stance with the shorter irons and get my trajectory higher with the longer irons.
The center of gravity on these clubs are lower due to the position of the muscle back being lower. This, along with the flighted rifle shafts, help get the ball on a higher trajectory. I don't have exceptional clubhead speed so I noticed right away the higher trajectory and longer distance.
The steel used in the head feels and sounds harder than the MP-14, but feedback is great. I actually prefer a harder steel as it will wear longer and extend the life of the club.
I've read some complaints on the stock grips, but I have had no issues with them. They play great.
This is a great set of blades with modern design upgrades. When compared to a traditional blade like the MP-14, the silver scots are noticeably more forgiving while still maintaining the precise feedback of a blade.

Mizuno MP-14

October 1, 2009

Reviewed by: WooHooT ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tommy Armour Silver Scot

Summary:
These are hard to beat for the money. Bought them off ebay a while ago and been playing with them for about 2 seasons. Considering that they're forged, rifle-shafted, workable, and cost as much as a 2 year old set of used mizzy's, you really can't go wrong. Only thing is that the grips which are kind of on the thin side but can be easily swapped for something better.

Mizuno Mp-52, Mizuno MP-62, Mizuno MP-67

October 4, 2008

Reviewed by: Brent G. ,  Shoots in the 70s

Tommy Armour Silver Scot MB

Summary:
I've been wanting to blades again for a few years now after playing cast clubs for the past few years. Saw these offered for around $150 free shipping and thought I'd give them a try before I spent $1000 or more on Mizuno or Miura. Well I don't think I'm gonna rush out and spend the money on anything else.
I'm lefthanded so finding blades has always been a real problem for me. I've played Wilson Staff and Mizuno TP9's in the past and these absolutely feel as good as those classic blades. They came with Rifle 6.0 precision shafts that were absolutely perfect on the frequency machine. At address, these have a slight hump in the top line that almost makes every iron set-up similar to a classic wedge or eight iron. Very nice actually, I think. The grips are junk and probably -1/16" from standard which is way too small for me; but,that's a minor fault since most like to change to a favorite grip anyway. They are also swigweighted to C9!!! That is crazy light for a blade. I think my others were like D3 or D4. I guess I'll put some lead tape on the backs and see if I can feel the clubhead a little more. Other than that, they are Fantastic! If you want to play a blade and don't want to spend a fortune; and, you can find these because I think they are no longer made. Be confident in your purchase because they are much nicer than I would have dreamt at the price I paid.

did not