Wilson Fat Shaft Steel Irons Review

More Products from Wilson  >>

October 10, 2005

Reviewed by: HJ Seeley ,  Shoots in the 80s

1998 Fat Shaft Staff version

Summary:
I tested clubs extensively in 1997 and 1998, all the big names. Cobra, Lynx, Top Flite, Callaway, Taylor Made, Ping, etc.

My decision came down to the Top Flite Tour and the Wilson Staff Fat Shafts and I went with the Wilsons.

I have never regretted that choice and even still when I test other irons, I still prefer my now old Fat Shafts.

I agree with others that say the regular flex shaft plays about equal to a standard stiff.

I do not feel that these irons are all that long though, I find them to be pretty standard, and even a bit weak on the long irons. What I do like the most is that they are consistent and have a fantastic set up. I like the narrow topline a great deal, so much nicer than many other irons that have a huge, fat topline - Callaway for example.

I did have to have them custom bent, the lie angles were not consistent, nor were the loft angles. This was a bit annoying but not a huge matter.

Certainly not all irons appeal to everyone, but these are most definitely worth a look for anyone interested in a game improvement club.

One thing of note is that there are a few different versions of this iron on the used and new market. There are notable differences in those variations. I've hit a set of newer irons, 2000 models I think with graphite shafts and those irons did not perform up to the caliber of my 1997-98 model.

Look for the Wilson Staff logo on the back of the iron, these are the top of line.

I'm not sure Wilson makes a Staff Fat Shaft now, but I have seen the Staff models on Ebay for practically nothing.

Never needed.

Ping Zing, Zing2, Top Flite Tour, Taylor Bubble, many others.

October 18, 2003

Reviewed by: JesseC ,  Shoots in the 80s , from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Wilson Fat Shaft

Summary:
I read a couple of reviews from those who shoot in the 70's and one joker sticks in my mind...Said who ever bought them had an IQ of 2 or 3. Sorry I have an IQ of 159 and I love them. Hit my 7 iron 190 6 feet from the pin on my home course's par 3. I've been shooting in the middle to high 70's the past 10 rounds with my best score ever a 69. So much for these junkie sticks. If you want a forgiving accurate stick these fit the bill. The only thing I'd be careful of is the steel shaft flex rating. This is my second set my first was s-flex my new set in r-flex. My 5 iron speed is 95 and I am aggressive and the r-fles play more like a stiff. I also hit a 4 iron 230 the same day. Great stick, best I have ever owned.

Never Used

Fat shaft, Tour Edge, Wilson Staff, Top Flite

July 28, 2003

Reviewed by: Peter ,  Shoots in the 90s , from Surrey, England

Wilson Fat shaft steel

Summary:
I first tried Wilson Fat Shafts as a rental club on links courses in the West of Ireland. I was amazed at the distance I was getting and the ease of effort.

I do not normally pay any attention to marketing hype. I am a difficult person to sell to.

I thought I have used blades and I now have perimeter weighted clubs, any further improvement will have to be from lessons and practice - not equipment.
However, I was wrong.

Try them and make up your own mind. Make your judgement on personal experience.

I also tried Callaway Big Berthas as they were well regarded. The Big Berthas were heavier clubs and did a reasonable job but they were not worth 200 quid more, in my opinion.
I have not had any problems with accuracy from wedges. I just make allowances for the fact that all the clubs go further.

In England you can take the clubs back after 6 months for a free check to see that all is in order.

Callaway Big Bertha - a nice club and on special offer too. However not worth the extra £200.

July 28, 2003

Reviewed by: Peter ,  Shoots in the 90s , from Surrey, England

Wilson Fat shaft steel

However, I was wrong.

Try them and make up your own mind. Make your judgement on personal experience.

June 5, 2003

Reviewed by: Scott K ,  Shoots in the 90s , from Belle Mead, NJ

Wilson Fat Shaft Steel

Summary:
I don't know about you, but my swing is a continual work in progress. Everytime I sccessfully tweak another piece, my game gets more consistent. I am now a 17 hcp, and hit around 90 very consistently on a fairly tough course (127 slope). These clubs are great, because their consistency lets me know whether the tweak I'm working on is a good or bad one.

Yes, they're long, but they're also consistent--with a consistent swing. They can be straight, but my preferred flight is a slight draw, and with the offset head, these provide it. I can also fade them (or slice or hook them) on command. I prefer these to the Deep Reds, because the insert in the Reds takes away the feel. Yes, you get a sting if it's thin or off the toe with these, but you're supposed to. That's called feedback.

I've had these for about 5 years now, and had them custom made (+2* loft, +1/2" shaft). The sand and transition wedges are great, and help with the feel around the greens that some others say is missing. Take them to the range, hit 20 shots with each club, and average them. That should solve the distance question.

I also regrip with Winn Grips each year, to keep the feel fresh.

If all else fails, take a lesson. Or 2. It ain't the sticks.

Great. Had to replace the shaft on my 5, which broke under the grip. No questions asked.

Top Flite Tour