Wilson Wilson Staff Ci9 Irons Review

Wilson Wilson Staff Ci9

The completely redesigned Ci9™ is one of Wilson's best performing irons ever. It is the third generation of the award-winning C (control) iron, offering maximum playability for players of varying skill levels. Offering "player's club" looks in a midsize head, the Ci9 is a great choice for better players looking for classic design and workability, as well as for improving players looking for stability and playability.

More Products from Wilson  >>

In The Hole Golf

April 14, 2013

Reviewed by: Xing L ,  Shoots in the 90s

Wilson Ci7 irons

Summary:
Bought a used set from eBay after having learned on an older set of Wilson blades. Very pleased with how easy it is to swing these clubs. As long as you swing freely with good form, no need to muscle them. Forgiving on mis-hits, providing good distance and accuracy, but still give feedback even on slight misses. They won't make every shot amazing, but I want to know when and how I miss. Decent ability to work balls-my natural swing is a draw, and I'm able to still move it, but have some trouble playing a fade except on mis-hits. I feel great confidence with these and am able to attack pins more.

Tried the Taylormade RACs and didn't find them as consistently forgiving or as easy to swing.

November 4, 2012

Reviewed by: Bruce ,  Shoots in the 70s

Wilson Staff Ci9

Summary:
I tried thw Wilson Staff Ci9 irons on the weekend after using Purefit MB1020 blades for the past 12 months. I am off 6, but got down to 3 six months ago. Well, I equalled the new course record at my local club and found the irons so easy to hit, I realise they are lofted to improve distance, but they come off sweet, very pleased.

September 22, 2012

Reviewed by: choon ,  Shoots in the 80s

wilson staff ci9

Summary:
When you grab the club, you feel confident. I like narrow top blade type. When you hit, the feel to your hand is indeed attached. I have Honma which is also narrow top blade type with graphite shaft but it seems that the iron shaft gives better accuracy. The head design is also very charming.

Japan Honma LB280

July 27, 2012

Reviewed by: Stuart ,  Shoots in the 70s

Wilson Ci9

Summary:
I'm 65 years old with a 7 handicap index. I played with a set of Mizuno MX 25s and decided to try the Ci9 irons looking for a little more forgiveness. What a great decision. The Ci9s look great, feel solid when hit and are more forgiving on off center hits. They are 1/2" longer for some reason. The lofts stay in 4 degree increments. That means the gap wedge is 48*. I put in a 52* wedge to bridge the gap. A great set of irons. Thanks Wilson.

July 15, 2012

Reviewed by: Metrybill ,  Shoots in the 80s

WS Ci9

Summary:
I very much like these clubs (4-GW) but these come with really, really, crappy, cheap grips. Better grips improve their feel and performance. Count on spending $6 to $8 for a Golf Pride or Lamkin per grip if you regrip yourself. Inconsistent swingweights and shaft frequencies. I do not care because I customize my clubs anyway. But the uninformed should be forewarned. I bought these clubs for the heads and over time I will rework and customize the lies, very strong lofts, offsets, etc. I will slightly weaken (more) the lofts, thereby reducing the length and thereby add a height to each shot and a little bounce to each iron. The lofts are so stong that a GW is really a PW. The 5 iron is set up the same as an old fashioned 3 iron, loft and length. Tricked up but, then again, I knew that when I bought them. I recommend these clubs with the caveat that they have extra strong lofts (3 TO 4 deg. stronger (less loft) than conventional and 1/2" extra lengths, which means they make an 8 iron but with 7 irons specs. It's all smoke and mirrors, with which I am Ok; but there is some mathematical and physics trickery with all this. WS is not the only one doing this.

Bill Wegmann

WS has terrible customer service! I sent two emails with 0 response. I think they have a case of the Give a s...s.

Titleist, Cobra, Ping, Callaway, Cleveland, Scratch wedges only (great design and performance but harsh feel at impact), Adams hybrids (Idea golf Pro, wonderful), Tour Edge Exotics driver and fairway woods (outstanding, BTW),... 50 yrs. of golf.