>>Reviews >> Putters >>

Information Added By

August 11, 2009

Reviewed by: Blake ,  Shoots in the 80s

Scotty Cameron Detour

Summary:
I've been through 4 putters over the last two years, and let me tell you...the Detour is by far the best! I've tried the Odyssey putters - putters that are supposed to be the best of the best. What I got with an Odyssey is an awkward feel and tough aligning.

That's not the case with the Detour. It's easy to align AND has a great feel. I dropped 3 to 4 strokes all just because of the Detour.

I'm not telling you to go out and buy a Detour without trying it. Go to your local golf shop and try out putters and choose the one that fits you. Don't go get an expensive putter because you feel it will make you and your bag itself look better.

By the way, you can get the Detour for $300 at brand name golf shops or you can get it for $150 on eBay.

Odyssey Sabertooth, Odyssey Three Ball

May 25, 2009

Reviewed by: BillBohannon ,  Shoots in the 80s

Scotty Cameron Detour

Summary:
It is simple! this is the best damn putter I have ever owned and I have owned several.

Do not let the looks scare you just try it and you will buy it

Ping REDWOOD, BLACK SERIES ODESSY, PINE ANSWER SERIES,YES, AND 50 MORE VARIOUS MODELS!

December 14, 2008

Reviewed by: Joshua ,  Shoots in the 90s

scotty cameron detour

Summary:
I purchased the detour for one simple reason the feel of the ball coming off the putter. I was completely stunned, it felt like slicing really, really soft butter. I was already really happy with my Oddyssey Sabertooth but was sold after about 10 putts with the Detour. However it took me about 5 rounds and a bit of time at the range to really get a grasp for its uniqueness but after that and after changing over to a cross handed grip its been lights out. The headcover is a little bulky and bright but it certaintly gets a reaction from friends and fellow golfers. When it was all over & done with I ended up a winner as well as my dad who inherited a great putter in the Oddyssey Sabertooth. For some strange reason I have a thing for odd & strange looking putters. Bottomline is you cant always judge a book by its cover.

Oddyssey Sabertooth, Nike IC20-20 mallet

July 11, 2007

Reviewed by: joemace ,  Shoots in the 70s

Titleist Detour Newport 2

Summary:
OK, OK. I bought another putter. I've gone from Titleist, to Ping, to Bettinardi, now back to Titleist. The Detour, 34", Newport 2. It is butter ! It's pure ! The feedback you get from the insert technology is as if this putter is a part of your hands & arms. The 30g bar behind the insert is a perfect alignment aide. I had my putter modifed w/ a black oxide finish which Cameron doesn't offer...yet. It is a thing of beauty to behold. It's not a club. It's a work of art and precision tool

Scotty Cameron is one of the best. Owning a Scotty or Bettinardi is like having a Lamborghini in your driveway. You're part of a unique club. The service matches the craftmanship.

Titleist Bullseye, Bettinardi Hawk, Bettinard A02, Bettinardi C8, Scotty Cameron Newport 2

May 7, 2007

Reviewed by: thechileguy ,  Shoots in the 80s

Scotty Cameron Detour

Summary:
Really good Alignment style putter. Exceptional feel allowing for very good/accurate distance control.

Really, really pricey!! Let me say that again--Really--REALLY Pricey!

I put down that I shoot in the 80's but really, depending on the day I can be in the 70's if I'm putting well. I'm never putting well enough to suit me. I always feel that I leave two to five strokes out there.

Putters are like meaningful relationships--you never get what you pay for. Both Ways. Some putters you pay $30 bucks for and shoot "lights out" --others you pay $300 for and wonder why your last marriage didn't work out or why your 4 footers don't fall like they used to.

Putting is a sound smooth stroke with confidence using an instrument which Feels Good and promotes that confidence. PFP!

I don't think $300 is too much to pay for a club that you use more than half the time you are on the course. I work on alignment and speed and for that reason have used the center shaft two ball white steel putter for some time, but I have tried them all. The Detour is better. The alignment system is a little easier (less distracting) than the two-ball and the feel of the ball off the clubface is more responsive--feels firm but smooth. I don't yet know about the the curve guide line, your natural stroke seems to produce the best results, trying to follow the curve results in pull left putts. The Detour produces a nice end over end roll like a c-groove (like I said- tried them all) and makes a really neat sound (like the orginal ping). I think that all of the above gives me confidence that I am going to be right on distance and speed and in the hole if I've lined up correctly. That's all there is to putting right? Anyway, I'm a technique kind of putter rather than total feel, but the feeling is there with the Detour. I wanted the shorter (moi piece) Newport Detour because it looked more classical, but they didn't have it in a center shaft and besides I was drilling everything with the regular Detour so I went for the $249 (Albuquerque Golf Mart) and here is the reveiw.

Immaterial. I will say that Scotty Cameron makes wonderful putters. This is the third one I have owned and they have all been superior in craftsmanship. For Scotty, customer Service is in the building of the club not repairing it.

Ping Anser, Odyssey Two Ball, C-Groove (Forged Callie). Other Scotty's, Newport Phantom, Futura. All good putters. All had their day in the sun, now it's the Detour!