>>Reviews >> Wedges >>

Cleveland 588 Tour Action Wedges Review

Cleveland 588 Tour Action

More Products from Cleveland  >>

Review Abstract
The Cleveland 588 Tour Action is "a good wedge to have in your bag" and represents "pure class." Accurate, dependable, easy to hit, and nice looks, add up to an "awesome club." Versatile for all situations, the "thin leading edge" assures "crisp shots" from even the hardest fairways. These wedges hold the green well and are good for those tight lies shot. You get more spin on shorter shots and that makes it easier to play various shots. One reviewer found these wedges to be so dependable that losing the chrome off his did not affect the performance at all. "This is the best wedge I've tried in my entire Golf life!" The Clevland 588 Tour Action is a "gem from anywhere." It gives you a great performance overall in a "simple package."

January 26, 2010

Reviewed by: lunchiebizzle ,  Shoots in the 100s

Cleveland 588 Tour

Summary:
I bought a Cleveland 54* and 60* 588 after upgrading my irons this winter. They feel great, only have had them at the driving range, but they have a superb feeling. I think they will help improve my short game immensely.

Bought them used off of 3balls.com and they sent me brand spankin' new clubs.

Cobra SS, Taylormade Burner

May 9, 2009

Reviewed by: GoHuskers ,  Shoots in the 80s

588 47, 57 (RTG), 53 (Chrome)

Summary:
I started playing with these wedges when I took the game up seriously 2 years ago. then I moved to 200 series Vokeys, followed by Mizuno MP series wedges.
Vokeys come in last. Feel OK, Spin OK, sole design very good.
Mizuno tie the 588's for best overall. Mizuno's feel the best by a long shot. Mizuno also have the lowest ball flight however they have the smallest sweet spot and don't impart that much spin.
TA 588's have a high ball flight and impart massive amounts of spin on the ball. Unfortunately they lack a soft feel and don't have that great of a sole design.
I like the TA 588 model because they impart massive spin on the ball. If you have a tendency to hit the ball thin than the high ball flight will help your game.
I don't like the feel compared to Vokeys and Mizzy's. I don't like the sole design that much either, its really easy to come in fat.
I love the price on these things, you can get these babies off Ebay for 25 dollars after shipping if you wait for a good auction.

February 20, 2009

Reviewed by: chicagoben ,  Shoots in the 80s

Cleveland 588 Tour

Summary:
I bought the 64 degree wedge last spring to try to add dimension to game and was worried that I wouldn't get chances to use it. Boy was I wrong. This is one of the most versatile clubs I have ever used and it has totally revolutionized my short game. I can throw the ball way up in the air and stop it quickly, and because this club has almost no bounce, I can hit it confidently off of a tight lie as well as greenside rough.

I was concerned that the lack of bounce would make the club less useful out of thick rough or sand, but that has not been the case. I am pleasantly surprised that I can flop the ball out from greenside rough as well as use the club easily from medium to hard sand. Soft sand? More of a struggle due to the low bounce. But that's what my 56 degree (10 degree bounce) wedge is for.

The great thing about this wedge is that it allows me to hit a huge variety of shots without having to tinker excessively with my stance or grip. Those are 2 fewer variables to consider when standing over the shot and thus more mental energy that can be expended on executing it. My only regret is not having bought a high lofted wedge sooner.

September 22, 2007

Reviewed by: golfawannabe ,  Shoots in the 90s

588 cleveland

Summary:
after playing with the 51' and 64' i had to get another one because these wedges have changed my short game for the better. i don't get to use the 64' as much, but the 56' gets pulled out regularly from my bag. especially smooth and effortless out of the bunker. it seems that vokey (titleist in general)are more pricey and hence i went with the cleveland but have no regrets--apart from the tacky grip preferring cords even for the wedges. i now have a 60' lob and may part with the 64' gunmetal. i haven't tried any vokeys so to be fair i cannot compare. but at present my ignorance is bliss!!

nil needed

tzoid sand wedge

June 3, 2007

Reviewed by: mikeyis009 ,  Shoots in the 80s

Tour Action Reg. 588 Gunmetal

Summary:
I had a mental lapse about 2 months ago and left my Mizuno MpT 56 deg next to a sand trap. I went back after 2 holes to get it .... you know the rest.
I had a round planned for the next morning but I knew I'd have a bad round without my SW. I hit 90% of my chips with it. I opted to go to a Golf Show ,that was in town that weekend, early Sunday and get one. Guess which booth only had demo clubs but nothing for sale? That's right; Mizuno. Pretty dumb at a Golf Show where thousands of dollars are spent per hour. I walked right over to the Cleveland tent and left 5 minutes later with the 588. Great feel. Great spin. I hope I lose my 51 and 60 deg Mizunos soon.

In that Cleveland is smart enogh to have cliubs for sale at a golf show, I'd say GREAT customer service.

Adams Wedge set, Mizuno MpT 56