>>Reviews >> Wedges >>

TaylorMade RAC TP Wedges Review

TaylorMade RAC TP

Developed on tour, the RAC Black TP sole is ground low on the trailing edge allowing more versatility to play high, soft chips and pitches. A C-Grind sole and radiused leading edge make it possible to hit an extraordinary wide variety of approach and greenside shots without digging and with only a single bounce configuration.

More Products from TaylorMade  >>

December 23, 2008

Reviewed by: golfer7890 ,  Shoots in the 80s

RAC TP Satin lob wedge

Summary:
I was looking forward to receiving this wedge, unfortunately I was disappointed. The clubface was larger than expected. The feel is good, not as soft as a carbon steel wedge, but still soft. I have to adjust too much to this club. The RAC TP does not feel natural in the hands, and I have to alter my swing to hit this wedge. Also, I dont understand why it costs $10 than other wedges. Looks like were paying for Taylormade brand image and marketing again.

Not very responsive with emails.

Vokey Spin milled (performs similar to my German-made Wusthof knife), CG14 (easy to use and forgiving), 588.

August 26, 2008

Reviewed by: Sogrente ,  Shoots in the 80s

TP Satin wedge 52° and 65°

Summary:
I get that beauties from ebay... both for 100 euro.
The wedges are very eye pleasant. I like the look and the shape of the clubhead.
The feeling is very soft and the length controll is absolutely amazing. I use the 52° for shots with 1-2 metres roll and the 56° stopps right at the impact point. Shots from around 60-80 metres you can easily backspin the ball.The grooves do a good job.
These are great wedges in every point. I used them now for half a year and they look absolutely new.
Overall great wedges... i like them better than the titleist vokey wedges. More spin und controll.
Only the regular price is a bit high. If you can get them cheap in ebay, buy them.
I will play them till they die!!!

Titleist Vokey, Mizuno MP, Cleveland 900,

August 20, 2008

Reviewed by: manowar ,  Shoots in the 70s

Taylor Made TP Wedge

Summary:
These are fantastic wedges. I have the 60 degree smoke finish with Z grooves. The club looks very appealing at address and has a good stock shaft/weight configuration. The grooves are very nice and allow a player to control spin easily. I can actually spin the ball from 15 yards again.

The downside of this wedge is durability. When it was brand new I took it the course practice facility and hit about 15 or so sand shots. The bottom of the sole immediatelly wore down and the finish was completelly gone. Also the milled grooves dissappeard from the bottom 2 grooves. I think if I were to hit a small bucket of balls from the bunker, the tiny groove millings on the club face would be completelly worn off!

After two weeks of playing the wedge, it has a lot of dings and dents from just sitting in the golf bag. I use a 3-wheel push cart which doesn't bounce around much at all.

So overall the durability is not great. It's a very expensive club that appears that it will wear out in less than a season. I've only played 4 rounds or so with this club and it looks like it's a year old at least. I'm a person who takes excellent care of clubs too. My Nike blade irons still look brand new after more than 3 years of playing them.

Cleveland CG10

March 23, 2008

Reviewed by: meowmixer ,  Shoots in the 80s

rac 60* black tp

Summary:
simply amazing!
This was the second club that I fell in love with. The first being my 3 wood,(cobra sz) this wedge leaves me speechless. I spent many hours on the practice green learning how to control its distance and different types of shots and then I was ready. My first round I immediately noticed its awesomeness. It stopped when I wanted it to, and ran when I wanted it to. Without a doubt this is one of the highlight clubs in my bag. If you are clueless on wedge choice, give this one a shot. Make sure you keep the grooves clean from grass and dirt, or else you won't get the stoppage you wish.

no need, bought from ebay new

titleist vokey spin milled, taylormade rac, cleveland cg10,12,14

April 29, 2007

Reviewed by: Eggs ,  Shoots in the 80s

TM RAC Black TP 56*

Summary:
A mate of mine had a couple of these and raved about them so at TM demo day, after trying some of the 2007 drivers and irons, which I wasn't that impressed with, I picked up the 52* wedge and causally took aim at a flag 100 yards away.
Straight away this wedge just worked in my hands. I was very impressed and more than a little surprised - I had no idea it would feel like this!
I neither know nor care about the funky grooves, 'feel pockets' or whatever else TM claim to reinvented golf with this week, to me this is simply an excellent wedge that has reinvigorated my short game. I have tried Vokeys (as posted by another reviewer in Nov '05, theese seemed to lack feel and just didn't really work for me) and Mizuno wedges but for me this is head and shaft above them all.
I have always been a decent chipper although recently I had lost some sharpness. Using this club I have got it all back and more. Yesterday I made 5 chips to within 15 inches during a competition, something I would have struggled to do before I put this wedge into play. Whatever I've tried to do with it, I've almost always been able to pull off.
One thing that really surprised me is that this is not a forged wdege but cast (ahem!) you preconceptions aside, none of the feel and control is missing. This is a great club and I'm actually considering buying a spare. Not cheap but many of the best things never are.
I would also like to point out that I am not a great TaylorMade fan, quite the opposite. Although I have carried a TM 3wood for a couple of years, I'm not keen on the way they incessantly bring out new clubs that seem to be no better than those they retire despite claims to the contrary!
HOWEVER, credit where credit's due, TM; this wedge really is quality.

Not used.

Mizuno Comp EZ and MP-T Black Ni; Snake Eyes 650W-PM and 655TM; demo'd some Vokeys and others.