Callaway Hyper X Tour Drivers

Callaway Hyper X Tour Drivers

Newest Callaway driver with the hyperbolic face technology for a larger sweetspot, hence the name hyper X. It's a 460cc titanium head with a fujikura fit-on 360 shaft with .350 tip, and standard callaway rubber grip, length of shaft is 45.5 inch. Callaway touts higher moi and square look at address which promotes more confidence. Tour models have 8.5, 9.5 and 10.5 degree lofts.

[May 29, 2021]
chaples19

Strength:

It's definitely suitable for beginners to learn before proceeding to advance. The distance are very decent and the accuracy is fairly good as well. Encinitas Pro Concrete Co.

Weakness:

Can't find any.

Purchased:
New
[Aug 28, 2010]
pingsound
Model Reviewed: Callaway Hyper X Tour 9.5º

I've used a Titleist 905r (8.5º) for a few years - that is a long time for me (considering my compulsive / impulsive nature). I have (though) bought & sold about 5 others in this time and never felt the need to kick it out of the bag. My last callaway driver was the 454 model and I really missed it. Callaway hasn't made anything as good since; until I got my hands on this one. I found it on the callaway used website in brand new condition for $146. I bought he 9.5º Tour model with the Fujikura stiff 360 Fit On shaft. That is a very good shaft - very true & consistent, never unpredictable.
The main feature (the reason I bought it) is told in other reviews; it is the cure for hookitis. Who would ever think callaway would make such a thing? If you tend to slice, stay away from the tour model. What I like so much is knowing that tendency is not lurking when I set up to drive. And then I get to drive away hard without worry. THAT produces the added distance & accuracy. I dont believe the club itself is longer than others. I believe driver technology has stagnated. But if we find something like this, that takes away the doubt, we will hit it longer & better.
And even without the usual arrow decal on the crown, the set up is so clean and square, I think I prefer the spotless top of the head anyway. The club is a gem and should stay with me a while. I wont even consider anything new.

The callaway used site is superb. They have occasional sales (like i found) and deliver fast. If they describe it as new or very good, you can expect no less, usually better. There is comfort too in knowing you will not receive a fake.

Titleist 907D2 & 909D2, Callaway FT-9 & ft-i Tour & ADAMS Speedline.

[Mar 22, 2010]
phllyfan
Model Reviewed: Callaway Hyper X Driver

After reading all the reviews I noticed that most of the people that reviewed this club were either scoring in the 70's or 80's. I shoot mostly in the high 90', and let me tell you this club in the real deal. I was worried that after hitting a 5 wood off the tee for so many seasons that my old friend the "slice" would return when I started hitting this club, no way, dead straight and monster distance. Great look at address and really nice ball flight with 10* loft. I purchased this club so i could hit more short irons into the green on par 4's and hit my Cobra 4 hybrid on par 5's. Well after 2 rounds all things are going according to plan. Now if only my putting would come around, thats a whole other story. Great club.

Excelent I actually received this club because my Callaway X460 driver got a rattle in the head after a couple trips to the range, insted of replacing it with a X460 they gave a brand new Hyper X, no questions asked. I think they are about the same club, just weighted differently in the head.

X460

[Mar 20, 2010]
steelbuster
Model Reviewed: Callaway Hyper X

This 8.5 degree club with the stock Fujikura stiff shaft was terrible for me. I could never tell where the head was and although it normally produced a fade, I never knew what I was going to get. Replaced with my normal UST Pro Force 65 stiff and it was like night and day. I now hit my usual slight draw with a penetrating trajectory and can create any shot I desire. It is now the longest and most controllable driver I've ever owned. As usual, the right shaft is the key.

[Sep 22, 2009]
famousdavis
Scratch Golfer
Model Reviewed: Callaway Hyper X Tour Driver

I probably hit it longer and straighter than most on this board. The club bores through the wind like no other I've tried. I get good roll which is rare for me. I hit the 8.5 model and it's perfect. I've never hit a driver more consistantly and it goes as far as any driver I've tried. I've had it for about a year now and love it.

[Sep 11, 2009]
jim morrissey
Model Reviewed: calloway hyper x tour

purchased the hyper x tour a month ago and never looked back used to hit in middle 90 ties now ten shots better

ok

tried diablo driver but not as forgiven

[Apr 28, 2009]
mgarvey
Model Reviewed: Calloway Hyper X 11 degree Tour

CRUSHED IT FROM THE 1st TEE!! This is the first large displacement driver I've ever hit (I'm cheap). I was a little afraid of the loft (11-all that they had) since I've been hitting a Calloway Steelhead 9.5 for years. I'm a good ball striker, but the distance was amazing - 280 to 300+ from the start. It's the most fun I've had on a golf course in years. I could hit straight, my natural draw or a fade with equal ease and control. Every drive was in play (a first for me). Buy it.

Bought from the Navy Exchange for $150 (a bargin I couldn't pass up).

[Feb 20, 2009]
Joeyboom
Model Reviewed: Callaway Hyper-X Tour Driver

Coming from the perspective of a low handicap, right-to-left-prone-to-hooking player, I love this club. It looks great at address, the Tour model I believe sets up a degree or two open (the std model of most Callaway clubs is closed at address). I have the 8.5 degree and am hitting it longer than I've ever hit it before. Great ball flight, and pretty low spin so you get good rollout as well. Not the club for a high handicap fighting a slice, but for a more accomplished player I think it's fantastic.

[Oct 19, 2008]
smokehouse
Model Reviewed: Callaway Hyer X Tour Driver

I've used the 10.5* Tour model with the Fujikura stiff 360 Fit On shaft for about five months now. Nothing fancy or gimmicky about this club. Like a few others have observed this club tends to produce a fade, other things being equal. Distance is average. Best feature is the percentage of drives that find the fairway. Overall a very good club that produces consistent results. I just saw this driver advertised for $199 in my most recent Golfsmith catalog, and at around $160 or so on Ebay it's now a very good value.

[Aug 17, 2008]
Naflack
Model Reviewed: hyper x tour, 10.5 stiff (fuji e360)

had the original hi-bore driver, loved it for 3 years, unfortunately for me i don't launch it the way i did when i bought it (9.5). stubbornly realized that i needed to move up to a 10.5 loft to achieve optimal launch conditions...
tried many on golfsmith vector monitor, most were very similar in launch and spin.
liked the setup of this one and the nike 5000 sq, will not buy nike becuase of company ethics issues, so the hyper x it is.
my swing speed is 100 mph, and i am a good player with an understanding that if you swing 100 mph it will carry about 240 and total distance will rarely exceed 270.
1 range session and all is well, i achieved my natural draw shape with relative ease, fades are simple as well.
what did strike me is the definite improvement in launch, and the very tight shot pattern, very good shaft (fuji e360).
sorry if i am rambling, it gets down to ability of the player, the understanding of physics, and the application of proper fitting...know your game and your swing and be honest with yourself about what you need and you will end up happy.
i strongly recommend this club, best of luck.

went to golf galaxy in roseville, wasn't happy with their lack of attention to customers. tried golfsmith, much better attention to the customer.
callaway is second to none, knew that going in.

hi-bore xls, ping g10, nike sq 5000, superquad, cobra f speed, tour burner.