TaylorMade 200 Series Drivers

TaylorMade 200 Series Drivers

Borrowing from the advanced design of its titanium cousins, the 200 Steel driver combines state-of-the-art Powerframe Technology and face-weld construction to produce the largest (275cc) and fastest COR steel driver we''ve ever developed. High-strength 455 stainless allows for thinner, lighter construction. This gives us more CAD-design freedom to expand the head size, distribute weight and optimize CG for improved trajectory.

[Aug 26, 2022]
boorish1973

Strength:

Very lightweight driver. 46 inch shaft results in better than average distance. The sweet spot is not a large as many others. Very loud sound at impact. The driver favors a slow swing. - Phoenix Mobile Truck Repair

Weakness:

None . .

Purchased:
New
[May 07, 2014]
Harold
Model Reviewed: Taylormade 200 Steel Driver

This was the 2nd driver that I purchased before companies went 460cc. The first was a typical metal driver w/graphite shaft.

My Taylormade 200 has a 43" inch steel shaft and is listed as stiff (Rifle shaft.) Completely stock.

Jump ahead several years and after two 460cc drivers (Cobra speed and Nike V) and I'm back to the Taylormade. It's 2014 and the Taylor made it's way back in my bag. I traded my Cobra Speed for the Nike V... the Nike V sits in my closet.

This driver isn't necessarily the answer for those who NEED added forgiveness.

It's very odd. Perhaps it's the shaft? But one thing is certain. I've pounded the Nike driver (44.5" shaft) and the ball simply won't go as far as when I pound the ball with the Taylor made. The Taylormade offers improved accuracy too.

Purchased at a mom and pop store. The Nike driver was purchased at the same place. The Nike driver was more than $200.00 more than the Taylormade.

[Jun 23, 2010]
Nick
Model Reviewed: Taylormade 200 Steel

It's a bit of a throw-back club, but this small-headed driver delivers all the distance of the 460cc heads. I've had mine for about 5 years and I'm not giving it up. It doesn't offer the same forgiveness as the 460's, but the feel is much more solid. The driver has a super hot face and the ball comes off screaming. Try one out at your local pro shop and put it up against the big 460's. Just try not to bite your tongue when you're picking your jaw up off the floor.

[Oct 15, 2009]
Rob Parsons
Model Reviewed: Taylormade 200 Steel

If you like the smaller head drivers of years past,you may want to give this driver a try.It has a solid feel and a sweet sound that you don't get from the titanium drivers of today.I have the 10.5* and the stock TM R-80 shaft.The ball comes off at a much lower trajectory than the larger head 10.5* drivers and produces quite a bit of roll.Along with a V-steel 3 and 5 wood,Taylormade has me covered.

No experience with customer service.

Callaway Big Bertha 454,Ping Rapture,Taylormade Burner

[Apr 21, 2009]
vance pollock
Scratch Golfer
Model Reviewed: 200 steel

I have been using my Taylor 10.5 Reg 200 steel for several years. Its a very solid feeling and sounding club. I have tried many of the newer more "advanced" clubs... Its too much fun playing with the old one, its a great club and I enjoy out driving the all the $400 clubs.

[Jul 29, 2008]
SMS
Model Reviewed: Taylor Made 200 Steel Driver

I've been going through large headed drivers like water: HiBore, Cobra L4V, Burner and my well used R5. That said, after a re-grip to a full cord Golf Pride, I returned to my 10.5 Reg shaft 200 steel. Awesome feel, little loss in distance, little dispersion and very workable. I suspect having an additional one on the side (even used) is a better investment. A great club. The 3 and 5 woods are also very solid.

[Oct 06, 2007]
JS
Model Reviewed: 200 series driver

Had this driver for over 4 yrs. now - I think it's the best driver for the money. Awesome distance, great sound at impact. I consistantly outdrive guys with the latest "BIG" drivers - wish rest of my game was up to snuff.

none needed

Callaway ERC

[Jun 22, 2007]
Robert Fazio
Model Reviewed: Taylor Made 200 Steel

I have had this club for as long as I can remember. I would guess now going on 6 or more years. I have a swing speed over 100mph and can toss the ball 280 on a regular basis. Every so often I go out and see if there is something that I can hit better than it. I would spend $300 or more if I could get either straighter drives, or at least another 30 yards. Up to this point, I am going out again soon, I have not found one. What happen with the review?

never

[Jun 03, 2006]
dan
Model Reviewed: Taylor Made 200 Steel

I got this to replace my 320 Ti. 30 dollars on ebay brand new. Great driver for the price, if you hit it right it just explodes of the face, just make sure you line yourself up right becuase youll end up hitting it 300 yards right into a tree. I got the r-80 regular flex steel shaft I like it alot. Can't tell you how many times my body was slightly misalligned and i hit a bomb with this thing 300 miles an hour right into a tree. Even my bad shot turn out 190 yard hooks. Your best bet is to send this thing right and draw it back in sounds real nice off the tee too.

never

Callaway Steelhead

[Mar 25, 2005]
TP-9Lefty
Model Reviewed: Taylor 200 Driver S90 steel shaft

I've been hitting the Taylor 200 series woods for two seasons. I have the driver with a 9.5 loft and the matching 3 and 5 wood. All have the stock Rifle S90 (stiff)steel shaft. Now that I've had two seasons to play with them, here's my review. The clubs are brilliant. Hats off to Taylor Made. Perfect combination of technology and classic style. Thinner faces matched with extra hard steel results in impressive power transfer. The driver head is slightly larger than a persimmion head but not annoyingly bulky. I use to completely dispise larger clubheads but the forgiveness the 200 driver offers is a real helper in this case. Rifle makes an exceptionaly consistant steel shaft and I'm glad Taylor has stuck with them through the years. I used the Taylor R5,stock 45" graphite shaft for a short period prior to the 200 driver. I achieved moderate results with it but really got beat up when I played the tougher courses with narrower fairways and more demand on draws and fades. I switched to the 200 series and saw immediate improvements. This driver fit my game much better. The combination of a steel shaft and the shortened shaft length, 43.5", was getting the job done and was much easier to control. Distance is terrific with these clubs and not much different from anything else out there. Using a comfortable swing speed, I average 250-260 off the tee. Hitting plenty of fairways and playable lies from the rough. I've been focusing more on my iron play and not worrying about the drive. Thats been the biggest relief. Its sad to see the line discontinued, but thats how the market goes. I think Taylor produced this inexpensive club so well that it hindered sales of their more expensive stuff. I'm not into trendy, I just like what works. The R5 was a gift from my wife; new for $299. I've been much happier with my $59 200 Steel driver. All that matters to me is the scorecard at the end of the day.

never used