TaylorMade R580 XD Drivers

TaylorMade R580 XD Drivers

• Larger, deeper hitting area above the CG makes the R580 XD easy to launch
  • Improved Inverted Cone Technology provides a larger COR Zone that equals higher ball-speed delivered by a larger area of the clubface
  • New sole design optimizes CG placement, resulting in superior launch conditions
  • Classically shaped head is preferred by many players

[Jan 04, 2010]
Patrick
Model Reviewed: Taylor Made R580 XD

I bought this club as a newbie to golf and sadly paid over $200 for it (it retailed for more but was a superseded model when I got it). I don't think I was ripped off, but it wasn't good value.

Firstly I have to say I have hit some very good shots with this club. However, the way the face addresses the ball can make it hard to align the club IMO.

There are doubtless some issues with my swing as I'm just a hacker, but I have a tendency to slice with this club, more so than with irons. It's not just me either, my 2 playing buddies (one of whom shoots in the 80s) use variations of this club and both have slice/draw issues with it. This leads me to believe it is a club-related problem to a large degree.

Looks are deceptive. The club face is huge and it is easy to make good contact. But the sweet spot, or should I say "straight spot" is relatively tiny. Hitting a ball 300 yards is easy, BUT - hitting it 300 yards and straight is a difficult task - I reiterate the tendency for this club to slice and shank balls off the tee if you hit it even slightly off centre. It's like the ball "slides" off the face and slices.

This leads me to believe there are probably better offerings out there for a novice for the same or less money, and I will probably upgrade in a couple of years.

Not used.

None.

[Aug 08, 2009]
Stephen
Model Reviewed: taylormade r580

I have had this club since it came out. I like it but I don't feel like it is the best club you can get. I hit a long ball with it but i am never straight. I would say t's a good club but not a great one.

[Jun 03, 2009]
jimbobjones
Scratch Golfer
Model Reviewed: r580xd 9.5 loft

best driver ever had a titleist hitting 150 now hitting around the hundred it unbelievable looks and all

[Jan 06, 2009]
RICK BARNES
Model Reviewed: TM R580XD

VERY MEDIOCRE CLUB, MIGHT BE OKAY FOR BEGINNER BUT I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT FOR EXPERIENCED GOLFER. SPOKE TO THE GOLF SHOP PRO AND HE AGREED WITH ME. THERE ARE BETTER CLUBS OUT THERE FOR THE MONEY.

[Dec 03, 2008]
ap229
Model Reviewed: R580XD

Bought this driver at "Play it Again Sports" for $30.00. Have played two rounds so far it has worked real well. It has a very dull sound so goes much better than it seems when you hit it. Hit the fairway ten of twelve holes I used it today, very good for me. Seem to work great if you just meet the ball and not try to kill it. Read some of the reviews in here and it played better today than the first round I played with it. The last driver I used had a stiff shaft and I could not hit consistantly with it, this has regular shaft seems much better.

Wilson, Cleveland 330 Launcher (very good), Nike SQ2

[Aug 20, 2008]
kuhnj99
Model Reviewed: Taylor Made R580 XD

Bought this club last year. Was using a cheap sporting goods store model prior to this one. Main reason I bought it was the price (bought at golf galaxy for $90 USD) . Has a very large face that is quite forgiving to off center hits. Have definately noticed good distance even when I havent hit it perfect. I know that there have been advancements in technology since this one came out a few years ago but I feel that a golfer at any level could benefit from this club. For the price that it has been lowered to at many stores, I dont believe that there is a much better value out there.

Haven't used

[Jul 30, 2008]
Andrew Dodds
Model Reviewed: taylormade r580

I used the taylormade r580 for the first time today and i loved it, a matter of fact i hit my first hole-in-one with it on a par 4 at my home course. very awesome club.

[Jul 30, 2008]
Johnny the coolster
Model Reviewed: Taylormade r580 xd

I am in my third year of golfing and had been playing cheap generic clubs. I was unhappy with the driver and decided to try a better club. When a saw the r580 xd for sale at a local sporting goods store, I went for it. It has a stock shaft with a regular flex and 10.5 loft. It is a great club, and added at least 10 yards to my drive, straight down the middle. I would recommend this driver to anyone looking to add some yards to their drive.

None needded

[Jul 26, 2008]
Matt Fletcher
Model Reviewed: Taylor Made R 580 XD

I bought this Taylor Made through ebay for a reasonable price. After playing only Ping equipment since high school, (I am now 31), I was skeptical to try a friends Taylor Made. I played with a Ping G 5 and was pleased with it, but like any other guy I thought why not try my buddy's new club. AWESOME!! This club was truly 10 carry yards more than my Ping and very pleasing to the eye at address. I still think Ping makes the best irons, but this Taylor Made is the driver of choice.

Ping G5

[Jun 15, 2008]
Ricky C.
Model Reviewed: Taylormade R580XD Driver 10.5 loft

Grwat club for the price. Improved my game and distance by twenty yards off the tee, I love it.

Adams, Pinemeadow drivers