Alien DS9 Irons

DS9

JACE W.   Shoots in the 100s [Jul 23, 2007]
Model Reviewed: Alien DS9 Irons

I started playing golf at age 39 a few years ago using old, worn out Wilsons. I bought the Alien DS9s on sale from a Dick's in NC. Since I started only a few short years ago I have been more than pleased with the performance of these clubs. The shafts on the PW and 9 are about 1/2 inch longer than most but I must be honest, I really love these clubs especially after I replace the PW shaft with a TrueTemper DynaGold. That combo for me zeroed in my scoring from 125-110 range. I think they are really, really good performing clubs. I've tried the TaylorMade OS2s, Mizunos, and R7s and to be honest, I fall back on my "ole reliables."

I wish I could find another set!!

For the $$ - I don't think you could do better

keokiboy   Shoots in the 90s [Jul 15, 2004]
Model Reviewed: Alien DS9

I had a love-hate relationship with these clubs. First, the things I loved about them -- First I found them to be somewhat forgiving. I have comments that the sweet spot was "pea-sized" but I found that these clubs had a decent sweetspot. My set prior to the DS9s were a Tommy Armour 845 cheap knock off set that I learned to play golf with. When I picked up the Aliens, much nicer feel and forgiveness than my cheap set. I could defintely feel the sweetspot and hit more consistently. Now the things I hated -- The clubs were a little hard to hit off of hard ground or off of the mats. This I am guessing because of the shape of the blade -- it is rounded and not flat or straight like most other clubs. However this was beneficial in the rough. The other thing I noticed was the irons were a little longer than your standard set of irons. the PW & 9 were roughly the same as other sets I compared them to but as you moved towards the 3-iron, the shafts were incrementally longer than other brands of irons. So by the time you got to the 3-iron, the shaft was approximately 1" longer than say a Taylor Made 3-iron. Now long irons are already difficult to hit... this made them even harder.

Similar Products Used: Tommy Armour 845 silver scott Taylor Made 200 Nike combo irons
jcdrag   Shoots in the 80s [Mar 16, 2003]
Model Reviewed: Alien DS-9

I have been golfing for 18 years and have used my share of clubs. I was stuck in that mid-to-high-teens handicap ranger and thought that my game would never improve. I stumbled across my DS-9's at a pawn shop in pristine condition. The owner was unsure of their value so i haggled him down to $200 (including full set of irons, woods, bag and putter) and figured that it couldn't hurt my game. Man, I am now consistently shaving 5 to 10 strokes off my old scores and hitting everything farther and straighter than I could have imagined. I was unsure if it was the clubs or just my game coming together but my father used them while visiting me and completely backed up my assumption. These clubs are amazing. They do not have a "small sweet spot" as some people claim, and they are perfectly balanced to help counter an over zealous fade. They are a $200 set that play like like a $2000 set. I will be keeping them for a long time.

Rino   Shoots in the 90s [Oct 25, 2002]
Model Reviewed: Alien DS-9

My first set of irons. These are excellent quality irons. The sweet spot is not the biggest but if you are a fairly accurate hitter, these irons will give you the sweetest, most effortless hits. I tend to overswing and these taught me to swing slower but better. Great irons.

Never used them.

Similar Products Used: First set of irons.
John Doe   Shoots in the 100s [Sep 23, 2002]
Model Reviewed: alien DS9

I srtongly dislike these irons. I purchased them in hope of lowering my handicap, but the rounded sole is very hard to hit with. They cause me to take huge divits and chunk the ball. I have a set of precision 2's that I paid like $200 for and they are great. My advice is not to buy these clubs.

Similar Products Used: Anything bad.
exodus0299   Shoots in the 80s [May 27, 2002]

I have been golfing for about 4 months and i decided to buy the alien ds-9 irons on ebay when i saw them so cheap i thought what the hell. so i bought them, they were definitally worth the money, the irons feel really nice at impact and most shots are solid even if you hit them off the toe or heal, great irons for a beginner or someone who wants to step up there game.

vft   Shoots in the 80s [Mar 10, 2002]
Model Reviewed: alienDS9

kinda dicey, sweet spot is the size of a pea. but they are great looking irons that maybe a pro would be fine with.

Ste   Shoots in the 80s [Mar 05, 2002]
Model Reviewed: Alien DS9

Saw these and read the reviews on this page and thought at this price (GBP70 in the UK) what have I got to lose? Tried them on the driving range first. Not the best place for them due to their rounded sole. Gradually got them working. Second time on the driving range, disaster. So, off to the course and WOW! What a difference! These clubs are tremendous. I have never hit anything that goes this straight. When I first saw the smaller head and less offset than my Lynx I thought I may have problems but not at all. These are fantastic clubs. I have always struggled with 3-irons but not with these. Long and straight. And the short irons are so accurate. The curved sole comes into it''s own at cutting through the soil easily when you take a divot. Why pay hundreds for your clubs when you can get quality like this at such a low price. I cannot recommend them highly enough

Similar Products Used: Lynx Oversize, Callaway X-14
Michael Garther   Shoot in the 80s [Aug 02, 2001]
Model Reviewed: DS-9

Purchased the whole set,irons and woods.
First off all lets just say "awesome".
The sweet spot is smaller than my old clubs. Once you find it though, it is a sweet hitting club, long and straight. This club tends to be for more of an experianced player, if you hit the ball well already, you are going to love these clubs. You could spend alot of money on a set of clubs, but why, when you can get the same results out of this club. Absoulutly no complaints.