Armour 845 Irons

Armour 845 Irons

[Jun 04, 2013]
Jay Dee
Model Reviewed: 845 Silver Scot

I picked up an 845 PW from a golf course pro shop... for $7!!!! I needed the degree to fill in the gaps I had in yardages. Needless to say, I loved it and went and bought a 4-SW, for only $75! I can't wait to hit them, if they all feel as good as the PW, I'm going to be a better, more confident golfer!

[Apr 09, 2013]
Lloyd
Model Reviewed: Tommy Armour 845

Just got these from the driving range and the feel and weight are perfect. I have never owned a set of clubs that felt this smooth.

Ram

[Mar 23, 2012]
David Mack
Model Reviewed: Tommy Armour 845s 3-lw

Got a set of knockoffs [745s] in the 80s and liked them.Purchased 845s in 1988 and love their flighting workability.Great action and control with the short irons too.I've got a set of classic ping eye 2 copper irons, a new set of callaway x22irons[explosive distance with little workability];neither of which compares to the 845s playability which Davis Love ,Fred Couples and others once carried in their bags.No club looks better when you're standing over it's classic shape,thin topline and bladelike presence.Thanks Silver Scot for leaving all of us some of you're legacy.

[Mar 19, 2011]
jrneumiller
Model Reviewed: Armour 845s

I'm so happy to see these clubs rated so high by current players across the board. I picked up my first set second hand back in 1992, and have never looked back. My first year with them I weighted them with lead tape because I was used to a heavier Hogan blade from the year before. After I took that off, the only adjustment I've ever made was to change the angle from standard to upright.

These are just the all-time classic looking club. They are without question the best looking club at address I've ever seen. Total confidence production. The radiused sole really works as the club rarely digs into the turf. Every stroke is sweet, pure, and filled with power.

Unlike most investment cast clubs, this one has both feel and performance. You have virtual blade-like control with this club, and can fade and draw at will. (Just set your wrist at address and let it release through the swing. Bingo.)

I was not a believer in these clubs when I first got them. Held onto my Hogan blades during the transition. Once I committed to them, I've never looked back.

Incidentally, for all those oversized, over-muscled, and outright GROTESQUE looking farming implements that masquerade as golf clubs, there as never been a club that can compete with the 845 in appearance, appeal, and playability - that would include all the upgrades and oversized versions Armour has released over the years. Obviously, the 845 IS Tommy Armour golf, and they cannot produce its worthy successor.

The only other club of its kind I ever appreciated were the original Titleist DCI irons - also having a similar feel and look at address. (Those are the irons Tiger used during his first few years on tour.) Come to find out, they were both designed by the same guy! John Hoeflich is without a doubt a genius golf club designer, as the 845s were the first club he had ever designed! Far out!

I don't play as much as I did 20 years ago, but I still have my 845s in my bag, and will NEVER let them go. (How many sob stories have I heard from guys who regret selling them just to try and find something "different.") HEY GUYS! Its your SWING that needs improvement.

Its not the club!

Hogan Apex
Maxfli Tour Specials
MacGregor GC1800s

[Sep 24, 2010]
TWIN 2
Model Reviewed: 845s

MY SEARCH IS OVER.THE TOMMY ARMOUR 845S IS IT.I HAVE BEEN PLAYING BLADES LIKE A FOOL.THESE WILL LOWER YOUR HCP AND LET YOU PLAY AND SCORE.THE MOST ACCURRATE CLUB DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR.I HIT MORE GREENS AND KNOW NOW BLADE ARE FOR 1- +5 PLAYERS STOP TRYING TO LOOK THE PART AND BE THE PART.I WILL DROP MY HCP TO A 5 BUY THE END OF THE YEAR.845'S RULE

ADVICE.START MAKING THEM IN USA AGAIN

HOGAN-MIZUNO-MAXHLI-MUIRA-PING

[Jul 23, 2010]
jetdriver
Model Reviewed: Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot 2-SW

These irons are great for a cavity back. Actually they kind of have the feedback of a blade. as far as feel, they have a pleasant "click" when you strike the ball unlike other cavity backs that have a "thump". They are extreamly accurate especially the long irons. Other than the short irons the long irons are long compared to other "older lofted" clubs. The pitching and sand wedge is short but deadly accurate . In the sand the sand wedge works just fine, and just as good on turf . The transition from one club to the next one is seamless...This is a great matched feeling set. I have compared the stiff and the regular flex and there is not a bit of difference in performance in my opinion. I want to use this set some more and comment some more on the turf interaction in the future.

none

Ping Eye 2, almost all hogan blades

[Jun 07, 2010]
iogweeds
Model Reviewed: Tommy 845 Silver Scot

I am a beginner and a buddy of mine GAVE me these clubs as these were about 4 sets ago for him. I thought, ok... can't hurt and won't cost me anything. Well, I've tried other irons (Cobra, Ping, etc) to see if my game will improve. Needless to say I have a lot to work on, but these clubs have given me so much in terms of learning to hit the right way given the smaller head. I love these things... I think I will re-shaft to get more power as my swing speed can use help, but I can't imagine any other club. I have even thought about tracking down the 2 iron and SW just to have a complete set. Anyone know where... let me know! Awesome irons!!

[Jun 02, 2010]
jeremywham49
Model Reviewed: tommy armour silver scot 845s

Picked these up for $30 bones from a second hand sports store. Was looking for something less bulky then my TM OS2's. I put them right in the bag. These irons are smooth. After about 100 swings did not notice the size difference from my TM's. They are accurate and love the weight of them, slice through the turf. They are shorter then "modern" irons with 3 to 4 degrees loft difference on each club from new clubs. Would definitely pick them up if you find them for cheap

not used

Taylor made OS2
ping eye 2

[Apr 24, 2010]
ohioglfr
Model Reviewed: Tommy Armour 845s

I've played these clubs about two years. The heads are on the small side by todays standards, unless you're used to playing blades. That said, these clubs are enjoyable if you are a mid to low handicapper, and the smaller head makes fades and draws pretty easy. There is a generous offset, and added to that the fact that these are cavity-backs makes for a fairly forgiving club. I use the 2 iron instead of a 5 wood (easier to hit on the fairway on a bad lie, IMO). Not a lot of room for error on mis-hits as on the larger club heads, but more forgiving than a blade. Seems like a fairly soft stainless, and there is a sense of feel when you strike the ball. If you are a blade user who doesn't hit the links as much as you'd like, or an older golfer who is in a handicap rut, try the 845s irons. They're very satisfying.

I've had no dealings with customer service. I got these on EBay, cheap!

Tommy Armour 855s, Ping i3 Blades.

[Mar 07, 2010]
GabeG96
Model Reviewed: 845s Silver Scot's

Absolutely Fantastic Club. If you can learn to hit these then there is no need for any other "cheater" clubs they make these days. I want to re-shaft them with Graphite to enhance my slower swing 80-90mph. Any Ideas as to what Graphite Shaft would work best for my irons?

I have used Taylor Made R580X clubs as well as Arnold Palmers......nothing comes close.