Ben Hogan Apex Edge Irons

Ben Hogan Apex Edge Irons

From Ben Hogan Golf: "The Ben Hogan Apex Edge is the first two-piece forged iron with a forged Carbon Steel frame and forged face. This breakthrough technology, coupled with many other unique game-improvement design features, make the Apex Edge extremely easy to play. Now passionate golfers of all ability levels can experience the feel only Ben Hogan forged irons can provide."

[Sep 30, 2009]
Adamsgolfer
Model Reviewed: Apex Edge

OK I thought I was nuts getting these clubs all my friends said too hard to hit etc. Bought them new rockbottom around 200.00. Well I have to admit at first they were alittle challenging. But with alittle practice you can hit these clubs very well. They are made by Callaway and I am happy with the quality compared to my Adams clubs. They easily give me feedback. Performance? couldn't be happier. Lets just say when I am 200 yards from the green I can and do use my 3 Iron with confidence and I am leaving my 5 wood in the bag more and more.

WOW that never happened before!

I love these clubs and I love the chrome (alot easier to clean than brushed cast metal) and the style is timeless. Too bad Callaway decided not to make them anymore I hope they change their minds. I recommend these clubs, everyone should try these clubs. I will ALWAYS compare all other future irons I try with these clubs. They truly have helped my iron play and the give me boat loads of confidence.

I like them so much that I am looking for a second set.

Not used.

Adams GT 2, Adams A3, Cleveland Launcher

[Sep 19, 2009]
mentaloaf
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Edge Irons

I've been an on and off golfer all my life the best I've ever played was when I was getting free golf for a couple of years a few years back at the local municipal course. I was playing with some nice King Cobra's at the time.

I just got given a set of these Ben Hogans for free about 6 months ago and I'll tell you what....all I can think about is golf now, they have made me fall madly in love with the game again! I was a little weary when I first heard I was getting them, I looked at a picture of them and thought well they look a little old fashion and they don't look very forgiving. Well think again, they are the most gorgeous, classic looking golf clubs out there today. They actually turn people's heads in the clubhouse. And how do they hit? Holy @#$$#%! one crisp 5 iron and you will be in love. I had no idea what a good golf club was until I hit one of these (and I've hit Cobra, Ping, TM, Mizuno, Callaway), nothing comes even close! The feel is just incredible, great distance, control, forgiveness, everything. I could never hit a 3 or 4 iron before just because I had no confidence and I would convince myself that the long irons are just too hard to hit. I can crush this 3 iron as if it was a flawless 3 wood. In fact one of the first rounds I played with these I tee'd off with my 3 iron the whole round (I am a horrible driver hitter, the only thing that has held me back from really improving my game, well that and putting) and I broke 90 for the first time in my life and ended up with an 84. It almost made me never touch a driver again (the only reason I did is because I am determined to become a better driver and fairway wood hitter).

I find myself cleaning them just for fun at home thinking "what the hell am I doing, they're not even dirty?!" These are irons to get for life...you will never need another set. I had no idea they were so expensive though since I got them for free, I saw some pretty affordable sets on e bay and elswhere....I will tell whoever reads this and is looking for a new set of irons that you will love...look no further, these clubs have ABSOLUTELY made me a way way better golfer

Never had to deal with them, these are so well constructed I can't imagine anything going wrong with them

Cobra, Callaway X-18's, TaylorMade, don't even bother with any of these big names...Ben Hogan is the best!!

[Aug 30, 2009]
fredlvhogans
Model Reviewed: Hogan Apex Edge irons

Just traded my Hogan CFT irons in for the Apex Edge. Very happy with the trade. Better feel when you hit them good and am able to hit the 3 and 4 irons with confidence. I loved the CFT's but always wanted an all forged irod set - frame and face.

none.

Hogan CFT EDGE

[Aug 28, 2009]
buttersweigel
Model Reviewed: Hogan Apex Edge

Bought these irons last week and can't believe what a great purchase it was. Aside from being a beautiful set of clubs, they perform amazingly well. I carry a 12 handicap, but see myself as more of an 8 or 9 in the coming months simply because of the clubs.

[Feb 21, 2009]
Glencap1
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Edge 3-E

I just picked up a nice used set for $125 and couldn't be more pleased. They're dead accurate and give plenty of feedback when you don't hit them pure. When hit pure they are soft as air and the ball flys long and true. The topline is a little thicker than I expected but they are otherwise a handsome set of game improvement irons that don't look like they came from Toys'R Us like most of the newer clubs.

Mizuno MX-25

[Jun 20, 2008]
mikefjohnson11
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Edge Irons

Okay,

I have had these irons for about 6 yrs and I now see that they are selling this exact model again, so I thought it was time for my 2 cents. I recently decided that I thought I needed new irons, so I went to a local shop and tried out a set of Callaway x-18s. I hit the Callaways against my Hogans, and after it about 20 balls I came to the quick realization, that I love my Hogans, and no other iron will suffice for me.

My natural ball flight is a draw, and these are extremely easy to draw at will for, including the long irons. I never try to fade the ball on purpose, so I can't speak to that.

These irons have a pure feeling that only a forged club can provide, but the cavity back design also make them extremely playable for even higher handicaps.

I am not a big hitter (drive the ball about (220-250), but I can easily pump the 3 iron 210 of the tee.

Now that these are on the market again, I thought it be a diservice to not tell all you would be iron buyers just how wonderful a club this is.

If you desire the feel only forged can provide with game improving forgivness, then you owe it yourself to demo these irons that have stood the test of time.

Not used

[Nov 02, 2007]
FVHowler
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Edge, Steel, #3

These Apex Edge irons are awesome! I have been unsettled on irons over the last year trying different brands, cavity backs, blades, etc... I found the Apex Edges for a steal and have been very pleased. They are forged but they play more like a typical game improvement, cavity back iron. They are a little heavy and I like that. I have always liked Hogan irons and these hit as beautifully as they look! If you like a classic looking iron that is a easy to hit, these are for you.

None needed.

Tommy Armour 845, Ben Hogan BH-5

[Jul 10, 2007]
Padde821
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Edge 06

Sell your blades (as I did - any many tour players by the way) & buy a set of these forged Apex Edge 2006er Modell irons.
They are long, very forgiving and I can still play a long boring fade that stops on a dime and feel it!
They definitely do not ruin a round with only a few mis-hits as blades sometimes do. I feel ready to go direction an even par round, rather than fighting not to go over 80 again.
As a golf purist I guarantee that you are looking at a traditional shaped iron rather than shovels.
Make sure you get the right shaft too. I would prefer the Rifle Flighted series over the Apex steel shafts.

no experience

Wilson, Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made etc.

[Nov 24, 2006]
Aznan
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex Edge

Yes I shoot in the 90s but after a couple more games, I should be shooting 80s very soon. I've been playing for almost 1.5 years and my progress has been slow vs my expectations. I am a relatively long hitter; my drives consistently hit 240-250 yards but my iron play never matched my tee off. Very inconsistent.

A few of my buddies told me that with my power I should go with steel shafts. It was probably the best advice ever given to me (apart from the advice telling me to be nice to my mother). I scouted around, asked around and looked around for some forged cavity back steel shaft sets. One day a few weeks ago a female friend of mine told me that she could lend me a set which someone gave her and which she did not use - the BH Apex Edge. Tried it on the range a few times. Took getting used to. I use a beautiful S-yard U101 forged iron set with graphite shafts given to me by my father who is 65 and plays 6 handicap. Very good distance but very light (swing weight C6 - D1) and was probably one of the main reasons for my wayward iron shots.

Hitting the new clubs with a swing weight of ~D1, I had a terrible back-ache for 3 days and went to the course for my first game. The 1st nine was horrible. Shot in the teens, could not get proper contact though shots were less wayward. Made my first par on hole 7 and never looked back from there after getting a better feel.

Though not as good as my S-Yard, the feel was nice and soft and off centre hits were more forgiving. Perfect hits were... well...perfect. Relatively high ball flight and much straighter than my S-yard. Easy to push the ball out of the rough due to the weight. Lost about 10-15 yards comparing similar clubs (my 7 irons used to go 175 yards, now around 160) but I absolutely love the better accuracy. Had my best score ever on the 2nd nine, shot a 5 over 41 including a stretch of 5 straight pars! And the best part is, after the gain in confidence, I attempted something never tried before. A bad drive put me in the rough behind a small tree around 155 yards from the green. A straight shot would leave me right of the green. I CONSCIOUSLY pulled my right foot back a couple of inches and hit a wonderful 8 iron draw that overshot the green slightly, LEFT of the hole.

OK OK. They say G.O.L.F. is a Game Of Luck and Flukes and my 41 was maybe just that, but the only difference between that day and other days was the irons. Will have another game tomorrow to confirm but honestly I'm quite sure that I've found the right iron set for me. They look classy in the bag. They look great holding them at address. But more importantly they hit great; high, long and true.

My main worry now - what if my friend Norlin asks me to return the clubs to her?

Norlin if you're reading this, will you marry me?

Nil so far

Not similar but used Callaway Big Bertha Graphite shafts and S-Yard U101 Graphite shafts

[Jul 03, 2006]
Josh Freezer
Model Reviewed: Ben Hogan Apex edge

I have been struggling to find a club that gives me necessary distance and feel but these set of hogans do just the trick. My game has lifted and i am cutting 10 strokes a round of my score. If hit soundly i would go as far as to say these are the best set of irons going around. Ben Hogan has made a terrific set of irons to comply with golfers needs from low handicappers to high ones as well! Dont $1000 its not worth it as these are about 800 australian and are as good as the best in the business.

none